The Illini Add UNC

Prefer a TX or FL school to anything else for a power conference non-conference game. So not playing UNC isn't a big deal, and if we make a bowl this year at 6-6, then dumping them for $800k paid off for the program. If we finish 8-4 this year, then dumping them was a mistake - hindsight always being 20/20.

Going forward, I hope we schedule FL & TX schools in the non-con if we are going out of the midwest since those two states are our best out of state recruiting grounds.

Prefer a TX or FL school to anything else for a power conference non-conference game. So not playing UNC isn't a big deal, and if we make a bowl this year at 6-6, then dumping them for $800k paid off for the program. If we finish 8-4 this year, then dumping them was a mistake - hindsight always being 20/20.

Going forward, I hope we schedule FL & TX schools in the non-con if we are going out of the midwest since those two states are our best out of state recruiting grounds.

With the idea being that we play a nine game schedule against big ten teams, I have little interest in playing big time opponents in the non conference games.

Perhaps this is there way of rubbing salt into a wound around the UofM by scheduling UNC after all the controversey here, not unlike the way they used to go after Penn State players when all the sanctions were coming down on them. :)

With the idea being that we play a nine game schedule against big ten teams, I have little interest in playing big time opponents in the non conference games.

And I am certain the words "big time" were not written in my post. There are many schools in TX & FL that we can play that aren't considered big time that can still get us into ripe recruiting grounds. Beats the heck out of New Mexico St or Wyoming. Fl Atlantic, UCF, FIU, S. Fl, Baylor, Houston, N. Tx, SMU, TCU, TT, UTEP, UTSA are all better choices.

The other 3 non-conference scheduled with the Illini in 2015 are:
Western Illinois, Kent State, and Middle Tennessee State

The other 3 non-conference scheduled with the Illini in 2016 are:
Murray State, Western Michigan, and OPEN

And I am certain the words "big time" were not written in my post. There are many schools in TX & FL that we can play that aren't considered big time that can still get us into ripe recruiting grounds. Beats the heck out of New Mexico St or Wyoming. Fl Atlantic, UCF, FIU, S. Fl, Baylor, Houston, N. Tx, SMU, TCU, TT, UTEP, UTSA are all better choices.

Easy there...I wasn't insinuating you did. I was just giving my view that if we have to add another Big Ten team to the schedule- the idea that Delaney wants us to also play better teams in the non-con is lame. I would be fine with a bunch of schools you listed above. I wouldn't want TCU or Baylor though.

Top Bottom