The High School Football Semifinals will be on 45.grandstadium.tv all weekend

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
Tune in all day Friday & Saturday to www.45.grandstadium.tv to watch the Prep Bowl Semifinals. The best part is that you can WATCH all the action on your computer for FREE!

Here is the schedule - Game times are approximate. Basically games will begin 10 minutes after the previous one ends. I've bolded some of the more salivating matchups or games with potential Gopher recruits.

Friday
8:00 AM - 9Man - Lanesboro vs. Goodridge/Grygla-Gatzke
10:15 AM - 1A - Goodhue vs. Barnesville
12:45 PM - 4A - St. Thomas Academy vs. Totino-Grace
3:15 PM - 3A - Rochester Lourdes vs. Albany
5:45 PM - 2A - Caledonia vs. Ottertail Central
8:15 PM - 5A - Brainerd vs. Rosemount

Saturday
8:00 AM - 9Man - Underwood vs. Cromwell
10:15 AM - 1A - New Ulm vs. Minneota
12:45 PM - 4A - Mahtomedi vs. Rogers
3:15 PM - 3A - DeLa Salle vs. Holy Family

5:45 PM - 2A - Triton vs. Eden Valley Watkins
8:15 PM - 5A - Mounds View vs. Wayzata

I will be handling Play-by-Play for the 1A, 3A, and 5A semifinals on both days. Mike Peden will handle the 9-Man, 2A, and 4A games.

So tune in during your lunch break on Friday, or sit back and watch all day Saturday since the Gophers have a bye!

If you follow any of the teams playing, I would really appreciate any information you have on the teams or players. Just send me a PM and drop me some knowledge. It will help me to know the teams better and I'll use it on air to improve the broadcasts.

Thanks - looking forward to a great weekend of football!

45.grandstadium.tv is the online home for Channel 45's exclusive coverage for the MSHSL State Tournaments.

4A should have the best games. Mahtomedi beat Totino-Grace but lost to St. Thomas during the regular season. Rogers is a wild card with an impressive season. Wayzata will likely roll in 5A as they are very physical on defense.

4A should have the best games. Mahtomedi beat Totino-Grace but lost to St. Thomas during the regular season. Rogers is a wild card with an impressive season. Wayzata will likely roll in 5A as they are very physical on defense.

Mahtomedi had that STA game in the bag too. Had STA at 4th and 12 from their own 10 yard line with two minutes left and up by 7 and somehow STA threw up a prayer ball and caught it. I am sure they want to beat rogers very badly for a chance at a rematch.

I don't follow high school football much now that I'm out of state, but....

No Eden Prairie? No Cretin? :eek:

I don't follow high school football much now that I'm out of state, but....

No Eden Prairie? No Cretin? :eek:

Yeah - EP got beat by Brainerd. Didn't see the game but it sounded like EP had a chance to go up by 2 scores in the fourth but got stopped by Brainerd near the goalline and the Warriors drove the other way for the winning TD.

Not sure what happened in the Mounds View win, but MV has been solid all year and I think Cretin was a little down this season.

Anyone who saw those games care to comment?

My understanding is that EP had 1st and goal on the 1 and got stuffed four times. Brainerd then went 97 yards for the TD converting few 4th downs and scored the winner with about 5 minutes left.

Mounds View Punches Ticket to Dome!
By John / Brett Sjobeck / Becker
The Mounds View Mustangs won friday (11/12) against Cretin Derham Hall to advance to the state semi-finals. The Mustangs won 21 to 7 and it was the first time they beat Cretin since 1974. Mounds View started the scoring with a eight yard pass from Nik Anderson to Jimmy Duffy. The Raiders answered with a score to tie the game right before halftime on a 10 yard pass from Kevin Miley to Brian Miley. The two teams traded possesions to start the second half but when Mounds View got the ball the second time they had a drive that perfectly defined their season: smashmouth football with timely third down conversions, and eventually punching the opponent in the mouth with a huge run by their go-to man, Jerise Washington. On a fourth and goal from the one the Mustangs elected to hand the ball of to Washington and it paid off as they took a 14 to 7 lead that they would not relinquish. Although it did not come easy as it took a gutty goaline stand Mounds View defense and a interception by Matt Kruger in the final minute that he took for a touchdown to seal the victory. Mounds View is now set to play Wayzata this saturday (11/20) at the Metrodome at 8:15.

I'll be out of town visiting my parents. Their DSL is somewhere between the speed of dialup and semaphore.

Let me preface this by saying that I went to high school in Minnetonka, so I really have no agenda to hype these kids but I have moved up to Rogers and they have one hell of a team this year in 4A, two players to watch if you get a chance on TV, I think these guys have a shot at D-1......Derrick Waters #11 is the one that really caught my eye, he's a DE and TE. I was chatting at school conferences with my son's math teacher who is a Rogers ass't coach and apparently UMD is looking at him.

The other player to watch is Vidor, he's #21, he's a DB and WR/RB. (Editited to reflect correct # of Vidor).

Usually when a team like Rogers makes a jump and comes out and has a dominating season like this it's because they have a couple of stud players, and I have seen these guys, they can flat out play. There was one other Rogers player who made the Star Tribune All Metro, a LB, not sure of his name but makes sense, their defense has been dominating this year. They play in the 4A Quarterfinals vs. Mahtomedi on Saturday at the Dome, not sure if those games are on TV or not.

I just posted the above on the KARE 11 thread, thanks for the information with the TV times.

Let me preface this by saying that I went to high school in Minnetonka, so I really have no agenda to hype these kids but I have moved up to Rogers and they have one hell of a team this year in 4A, two players to watch if you get a chance on TV, I think these guys have a shot at D-1......Derrick Waters #11 is the one that really caught my eye, he's a DE and TE. I was chatting at school conferences with my son's math teacher who is a Rogers ass't coach and apparently UMD is looking at him.

The other player to watch is Vidor, not sure of his number but I think he's #24, he's a DB and WR.

Usually when a team like Rogers makes a jump and comes out and has a dominating season like this it's because they ahve a couple of stud players, and I have seen these guys, they can flat out play. There was one other Rogers player who made the Star Tribune All Metro, a LB, not sure of his name but makes sense, their defense has been dominating this year. They play in the 4A Quarterfinals vs. Mahtomedi on Saturday at the Dome, not sure if those games are on TV or not.

I just posted the above on the KARE 11 thread, thanks for the information with the TV times.

Sounds like it will be a good game than. Mahtomedi is very tough this year which is evident when you look at their wins versus Totino Grace and Mankato West, along with only a 1 point loss to STA which as I stated earlier they easily could have won. Also, it looks like Rogers is undersized just by looking at their roster which will be interesting when they have to face the size and strength of Mahtomedi's line. Maht had some big injuries this year that limited them on defense the last half of the year and they are completely healthy now and were able to hold west to 14. If Tommy Olson goes up against the watters kid it will be epic, but I have yet to see any player get the upper hand on him yet, and it hasn't been close. It usually ends with pancake after pancake. Mean pancakes. He has no mercy on anyone.

Also, for those of you who can't watch the games, but can listen to them for whatever reason (people at work, for example), MSBN will have all the games with streaming audio on the web at:

www.mnsportsnetwork.com

Further, both Class 5A Games will be broadcast by MSBN on the radio on AM-1330, WLOL. MSBN will also have all six Prep Bowl games streamed live as well.

My old college buddy/roommate is the head coach for Rosemount. I have really been impressed with his coaching career and I always pull for his teams. I'm planning to hit the dome for their game against Brainerd on Friday. I can't stand the nickname "Irish" though, just because it reminds me too much of Notre Dame. Nothing against Irish nationalism... just everything against Notre Dame football.

I think Rosemount actually has a chance to win the whole deal. Their line is by far the best in the state. Their offensive style shortens the game. Wayzata may only get 7 possessions in the entire game.

Have a blast. Wish I could be in the booth with you.

The show will not be as good without you. Although, I hope I don't have to ever spend 15 consecutive hours in a cramped broadcast booth with you again.

I am sure this has been discussed at length before, but has there been any movement afoot to move the venue for these games from the HHH Metrobowel Chamber of Horrors to TCF Bank Stadium?
Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan – 0
Minnesota – 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!
http://www.vva.org/testimony/2010/092910.html

I hope not. I think the Metrodome is great for the prep bowl and the MSHL already plays the semi-final games in the dome due to November weather in MN.

Agreed. It's not like they need to add luxury suite sales to the equation or else have the MSHSL go belly-up. Plus, with all of the teams and fans rotating in-and-out, the dump is plenty big to accommodate.

The other player to watch is Vidor, he's #21, he's a DB and WR/RB. (Editited to reflect correct # of Vidor).

Usually when a team like Rogers makes a jump and comes out and has a dominating season like this it's because they have a couple of stud players, and I have seen these guys, they can flat out play. There was one other Rogers player who made the Star Tribune All Metro, a LB, not sure of his name but makes sense, their defense has been dominating this year. They play in the 4A Quarterfinals vs. Mahtomedi on Saturday at the Dome, not sure if those games are on TV or not.

#11 is Devin Waters, they moved him interior and have two speed rushers on the ends. Weber #10 is a junior 6'5 210# DE who is also the backup QB, he gets off the ball quickly. Alex Meixell is #33 MLB who was 1st team all-metro, he's one of the most hard-nosed kids I've ever seen play.

The dangerous thing about Rogers is they are very good on both sides of the ball. Offense averages almost 45 points a game, defense has pitched 5 shutouts and only gives up about 6 points a game. Doesn't matter if they are playing an explosive offense or a stingy defense, they'll hang with you.

Really looking forward to this weekend, Rogers and Mahtomedi have only met in a preseason scrimmage, I hear it was pretty evenly matched.

If the Dome ever gets imploded and the Vikings dont have an indoor facility by then, then the tourney might be moved to TCF. In which case they will probably start the season the first week of August instead of the third.

I've never understood why people in MN want Eden Prairie and/or Cretin to lose so badly. Because they win too much??

People hate Cretin because they are the best recruiters in the state of Minnesota (and in many years that includes the gophers). It is a team that is half rich kids and half inner city kids who have been taken to cretin on full rides (or "work study" programs). It is actually good that many of the city kids get out of the city and into cretin. But the recruiting thing really gets to some people.

People hate Minnetonka, Hopkins, Wayzata, and Eden Prairie because they are 3 of the biggest schools in the state who happen to have all the money.
People don't hate Blaine (even though they have won more than Hopkins and as much as Minnetonka in the past 10 years) because they are not rich.
People don't like when schools that already have a huge financial advantage to also have a very large numbers advantage. When Eden Prairie used to play Bloomington Kennedy, it was the same difference in number of students at the school as Kennedy playing against Two Harbors High School would be. To top it off, Eden Prairie is one of the richest schools in the state. THAT is why people hate all of the West Metro Schools (except Edina).

People hate Cretin because they are the best recruiters in the state of Minnesota (and in many years that includes the gophers). It is a team that is half rich kids and half inner city kids who have been taken to cretin on full rides (or "work study" programs). It is actually good that many of the city kids get out of the city and into cretin. But the recruiting thing really gets to some people.

People hate Minnetonka, Hopkins, Wayzata, and Eden Prairie because they are 3 of the biggest schools in the state who happen to have all the money.
People don't hate Blaine (even though they have won more than Hopkins and as much as Minnetonka in the past 10 years) because they are not rich.
People don't like when schools that already have a huge financial advantage to also have a very large numbers advantage. When Eden Prairie used to play Bloomington Kennedy, it was the same difference in number of students at the school as Kennedy playing against Two Harbors High School would be. To top it off, Eden Prairie is one of the richest schools in the state. THAT is why people hate all of the West Metro Schools (except Edina).

So basically the two messages we're teaching our kids are:

1) Hate success (financial or otherwise)
2) If you lose, find an excuse (the other school was bigger than we are, the refs screwed us, etc.)

So basically the two messages we're teaching our kids are:

1) Hate success (financial or otherwise)
2) If you lose, find an excuse (the other school was bigger than we are, the refs screwed us, etc.)

Who is teaching their kids that?
It is the 40-60 year old parents that have a bigger problem with it than the kids. The baby boomers are almost all brutal when it comes to this.

The kids go out and play who is on the schedule. As someone who played against Eden Prairie during one of their state title seasons, my team looked as it as a longshot, but a fun chance to be on the field with some guys you might see on TV in a couple of years.

No one is making excuses about losing. People are cheering for the other teams because they are the underdogs. You may think someone hating Eden Prairie and Wayzata for having the largest student bodies as well as the wealthiest student bodies is making excuses. It is more just cheering for the underdogs. People know that Wayzata and EP are usually the best teams in the state, that is why people love when they lose.

As for Cretin, yes people hate their success. People hate it because their recruiting is something nobody else can do. One thing I will say, is that most people who are highly informed about HS football have a lot more respect for Cretin than schools like BSM, STA, Totino Grace, Holy Family, ect....Cretin is the only private school that chooses to play up a class in football.

Who is teaching their kids that?
It is the 40-60 year old parents that have a bigger problem with it than the kids. The baby boomers are almost all brutal when it comes to this.

The kids go out and play who is on the schedule. As someone who played against Eden Prairie during one of their state title seasons, my team looked as it as a longshot, but a fun chance to be on the field with some guys you might see on TV in a couple of years.

No one is making excuses about losing. People are cheering for the other teams because they are the underdogs. You may think someone hating Eden Prairie and Wayzata for having the largest student bodies as well as the wealthiest student bodies is making excuses. It is more just cheering for the underdogs. People know that Wayzata and EP are usually the best teams in the state, that is why people love when they lose.

As for Cretin, yes people hate their success. People hate it because their recruiting is something nobody else can do. One thing I will say, is that most people who are highly informed about HS football have a lot more respect for Cretin than schools like BSM, STA, Totino Grace, Holy Family, ect....Cretin is the only private school that chooses to play up a class in football.

You make good points.

When I say teaching our kids I mean setting a bad example. If you treated playing Eden Prairie as an opportunity to score an upset then somewhere along the way someone taught you the right attitude.

I guess my point is I don't care for all the whiners, excuse makers and vindictive attitudes. There's an undercurrent of jealously and passive aggressiveness in this state that I'll never understand.

Top Bottom