The Gophers Finally Have a Clutch-Time Assassin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sam:

The Gophers finally have a crunch-time assassin. Carr showed glimpses of it in 2019-20 when he beat Ohio State at the buzzer on the road and iced home games against Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State with torrid stretches. The 2020-21 Carr has already called and raised the ante that last year’s version laid on the table. Only one player nationally has more 30-point games this season than Carr, Iowa’s stellar big man Luka Garza, and Carr now has a pair of last-second buzzer-beaters on his resume — one to beat Loyola-Marymount early in the year and his latest highlight against the Hawkeyes.

Go Gophers!!

Few more games and he will match Bobby Jackson.

Unfortunately, Marcus Carr is not playing with John Thomas, Courtney James, Quincy Lewis and Sam Jacobson. Three of which were drafted into the NBA.

Bobby Jackson, had the luxury of being able to have an off night and let his teammates carry the load. My gut says that had Bobby not been surrounded by such riches, he would have done quite a bit more! Plus, Bobby was a much better defender than Carr will ever be.

Carr had a poor performance at Illinois. I think we all agree that we would hate to see that happen again.

My recollection from the 1997 non-season was/is that there were three games on the road that Bobby Jackson just willed the Gophers to a win. Usually it seemed like there would be a key rebound he would get, remarkable for a fairly small guard. I remember one of the prominent analysts saying that "no one told Bobby Jackson that Minnesota was supposed to lose on the road in the Big Ten". Games at Purdue and at Iowa come to mind, but it was 23 years ago now.

Carr does seem to have a similar mentallity.

The other thing that comes to mind is that even though the gophers had a very good point guard that season (Eric Harris), when the game was down to crunch time, the point guard was going to be Bobby Jackson.

Top Bottom