The Gophers’ TD rate (37.5 percent) in the red zone is ranked 119th in the country after two weeks.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

The Gophers’ TD rate (37.5 percent) in the red zone is ranked 119th in the country after two weeks.

“We get down inside the 5 (-yard line) and that is not our style of football coming away with three points, three points and zero,” head coach P.J. Fleck said Saturday. “That’s not what I want. That’s not how I’m built. That’s not what I’m used to.”

Go Gophers!!

New back will help.
Execution will help.

If you get that stat into the top 45 this is a 10-2 or 9-3 team

As is, probably a 6-6 or 7-5 team

It’s funny the way a perception formed at a game can change when I rewatch the game on the DVR.

I was a little put off at the game and frustrated with the offense. Upon further review, the score was a mild disappointment and there have been some early play calling head scratchers as well as QB induced raised eyebrows.

But Minnesota’s score could have been much higher and the game was an eyelash away from being 40-6 instead. The “what ifs” don’t extend the same way to Eastern Michigan’s offense, especially when they only managed 4 yards and zero first downs the second half.

Now that an elite RB has been identified, I am hopeful two badly needed developments will take place: the newfound running game success will open up the passing game, and the red zone failures and field goals will be replaced by touchdowns.

It's rather uncover and figure out these problems at this point in the season, rather than later. I just hope we actually make improvements and these aren't season-long problems.

We have a 6-7 Tight End and QB with some wheels. It is legal to pass in the Red Zone.
100% this. Going off memory but I only remember one pass into the endzone in the last game and we sent 2 WR into 6 DBs on that play.

Per Greder:

“We get down inside the 5 (-yard line) and that is not our style of football coming away with three points, three points and zero,” head coach P.J. Fleck said Saturday. “That’s not what I want. That’s not how I’m built. That’s not what I’m used to.”

Go Gophers!!
Is that bad?

It’s funny the way a perception formed at a game can change when I rewatch the game on the DVR.

I was a little put off at the game and frustrated with the offense. Upon further review, the score was a mild disappointment and there have been some early play calling head scratchers as well as QB induced raised eyebrows.

But Minnesota’s score could have been much higher and the game was an eyelash away from being 40-6 instead. The “what ifs” don’t extend the same way to Eastern Michigan’s offense, especially when they only managed 4 yards and zero first downs the second half.

Now that an elite RB has been identified, I am hopeful two badly needed developments will take place: the newfound running game success will open up the passing game, and the red zone failures and field goals will be replaced by touchdowns.
The offense against Eastern Michigan was dominant with the exception of the execution in the red zone which definitely colors the way the game is viewed as a whole. Punch a few of those in at the start and the final score is a route.

Hopefully they can figure out what broke down once they got close to the goal line and get it sorted out for the remainder of the season.

We’ve only punted four times in two games. So the gripes with the offense should really be focused on the red zone efficiency, we are moving the ball.

I think the play calling has been too conservative in the red zone, they are taking the ball out of AK’s hands. We’ve had 8 red zone appearances and have only thrown it 7 times, 4 of which were on the drive where Daniel Jackson made the big TD catch vs Nebraska.

I think we should lean into AK more down there, maybe some run pass options on roll outs. I do think Taylor offers a better goal line option than Tyler does, but if we can’t overpower EMU by just running it down their throat then it won’t work in conference games either.

We’ve only punted four times in two games. So the gripes with the offense should really be focused on the red zone efficiency, we are moving the ball.

I think the play calling has been too conservative in the red zone, they are taking the ball out of AK’s hands. We’ve had 8 red zone appearances and have only thrown it 7 times, 4 of which were on the drive where Daniel Jackson made the big TD catch vs Nebraska.

I think we should lean into AK more down there, maybe some run pass options on roll outs. I do think Taylor offers a better goal line option than Tyler does, but if we can’t overpower EMU by just running it down their throat then it won’t work in conference games either.
Didn't the first time down there end with the keeper where AK lost yardage? That play is not going to help change Fleck's basic philosophy. I think that's to pound it in; not sure he's going to look first at opening it up. IMO, the emphasis will be on better execution on what they're already doing for North Carolina. Many of us would like to see a more creative playbook, but PJ isn't built that way.

Top Bottom