The Gopher Conundrum...

John Galt

Reaction score
On the one hand: We have Jerry Kill as our coach and he's been doing this for 17 years with the same staff. They are proven winners, with Kill having a career record of 128-77. His turnaround of two programs, Saginaw Valley St. and Southern Illinois, was the stuff of legend and cannot be questioned. His record is even more impressive when considering where his teams started out. When he was at Northern Illinois, a MAC school, he consistently beat/competed against the Big Ten schools he played. In 2008, he lost to the Gophers 31-27 and lost to Tennessee 13-9. In 2009, he lost to Wisconsin 28-20 and beat Purdue 28-21. In 2010, he lost to Illinois 28-22 and beat the Gophers 34-23. These results are even more impressive since they were all road games for Northern Illinois.

On the other hand: Since the USC game, we have witnessed some of the worst Gopher football of all-time. In the USC game, the team looked disciplined, intense and well-prepared. Since then, we've looked undisciplined, uninspired, and ill-prepared. It makes no logical sense that a team could regress so much. Yes, we're playing a lot of freshman and need more talent, but what we've seen on the field is disappointing no matter what the reasons or excuses.

So now what? We need to give Jerry Kill and his staff some time to turn this around. I'll trust 17 years of proven results over 6 games every time. It's not going to be blind faith, as I'm going to need to see much better play in 2012 than what we've seen this year, and in year 3 vs. year 2, etc. But I believe this is the best chance the Gophers have to be successful. Keep in mind, Jerry Kill is the 1st coach we've had since Lou Holtz who came in with a winning record (I'm only counting Wacker's time at TCU). Let's recognize it takes some time, even though we've all been waiting long enough. Southern Illinois could have fired him after he finished 1-10 his first year there, but that obviously would have been a huge mistake.

For those who disagree, let's hear what you've got for solutions...

I agree with you for a couple of reasons. First, we don't have any other choice. This program CAN'T consider making another switch (they wouldn't consider it anyway) of systems. We aren't the Michigans or Floridas of the world, for us to be succesful we need to establish an identity and it takes more than 6 months to do that. Second, I think losing is contagious. I think it always will be easier for a new regime who is taking over a losing program to get that program ready to play in game #1 because the players who are used to losing aren't in full "losing mode".

"I'm only counting Wacker's time at TCU" WHY? You credit Kill with turning around Saginaw State. Actually, Wacker turned around as many programs as Kill did. He turned Texas Lutheran from a 5 win team to a stellar 11-1 team. He took a SW Texas State team from 7 wins and left after a perfect 14 win season. He took TCU from 1 win season to 7 win season.

Wacker's pre-Gopher record (143-92) is almost as impressive as Kill's (127-73). As we found out with Wacker, winning at small programs doesn't necessarily translate to winning in the Big Ten.

Some very good points by the OP. Here is another conundrum:

On one hand you have a fan base that has been told so many times to be patient and to have blind faith that they are sick of it. They are desperate to see SOME evidence of improvement on SOME level. The lack of any evidence of improvement to this point breeds impatience, intolerance, anger and frustration.

On the other hand you have a program that has proved through 6+ coaches that it is VERY difficult to win here. Who the hell are we (the fans) to demand instant success? Apart from a handful of fans that were around in the 60's, what the hell do we know about a succesfull college program? Why do we deserve a winning team? Because the program has struggled for so long? Think again, this isn't the NFL, you aren't given concessions after a poor season.

IMHO is perfectly ok to be angry, frustrated and dishearted. But demands for a coaching change six games in are shortsighted, idiotic and pretentious.

Top Bottom