The good, The Bad, & the Ugly

THE GOOD:

THE UGLY[/B]

1.The reffing. You'd think occasionally we would get home cooking in our own house. That first Miami TD was right in front of our seats (section 105). I haven't had a chance to watch the replay yet, but WTF wasn't that play reviewed??? It sure looked to me like the Miami player's knee was down before he reached the end zone. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but you'd think the refs would have wanted to review it. It appeared that the refs had a conference on the field, but was the guy up in the booth out getting a hot dog?

Too Long...I sit in 105 as well. It appeared he was clearly down before reaching out to cross the goal line. I watched it on DVR on Sunday and there was no clear replay, so I do not think it mattered that it was not reviewed, but agree that it is a play that should at least be sent to the booth for a review.

IMO Christyn Lewis looked pretty bad. IDK if i was the only person who thought that but man he was bad. I feel bad calling him out, but someone earlier said Brock Vereen looked bad and imo he did pretty well considering they kept going after him.

Christyn Lewis is the weakest link on the defense. You are not the only person who thought he was bad. But he has taken the position held by Shady, so we must be really weak there. Looks like James Manuel is not ready to step in either.

Our pass D did look bad. Maybe it's just my maroon colored glasses but I don't know too many teams that can defend 4-5 receiver sets multiple times. I thought I heard the announcers say at one time in the 4th that Miami had 5 receivers on the field. I don't believe we have enough depth at any position to be able to deal with that. I also don't think we are going to be able to get enough pressure on the qb without bringing additional help and with that many receivers our front 4 are pretty much on their own. The front 4 did ok though and did at least force some scrambling but we need to contain the qb instead of letting him out of the pocket. That killed us almost every time.

You give ANY QB 5+ seconds to scan the field, and somebody is gonna get open. It doesn't help when your CB's don't stay with their receivers, like on that last TD when Miami's QB was running for his life, but that's a correctable mistake (my guess is Stoudemire is sitting in the back row during film reviewtoday). People; and opposing QB's; pick on Vereen. Glen had a good comment about him: He struggles with man to man coverage, particularly when in a press, but he does OK in zone when he has help. Still, like you said, just getting the QB to run around is a step forward, but our guys need to bring him down. I don't know that blitzing is the answer, either. We got burned a few times on blitzes, like that 66 yard completion on Miami's opening drive.

Only 35,000? Uh uh

"as I said yesterday there were MAYBE 40k there (I think more like 35k), what happens when its 50,280 next year?"

Really? Announced attendance was I think over 48,000. I think that was pretty close to accurate. There was not a ton of space around the closed end above the students. It was pretty full. 35,000 is certainly an incredibly low estimate.

"as I said yesterday there were MAYBE 40k there (I think more like 35k), what happens when its 50,280 next year?"

Really? Announced attendance was I think over 48,000. I think that was pretty close to accurate. There was not a ton of space around the closed end above the students. It was pretty full. 35,000 is certainly an incredibly low estimate.

Announced attendance to every home game in 2009 was 50,805. This was simply not true. They are, again, announcing ticket sales. I was in the upper deck, bowl corner, away side and I can tell you with 100% certainty there were many MANY open seats on the home sideline. 1 for every 3-4 seat I could count full. And I made a point to check it out.

I have ridden the LRT to downtown for the bar scene as well as downtown for a Twins game when it was at the dome. I'm sorry but it IS a pain in the ass. First, I've seen the crowds on the platform outside the dome and at Target Field (my seats last year at Target were right next to the station). Having 1,000 people on a platform makes it seem PACKED. Like nut to butt. So there's a perception bias that tons of people use it. 10% at TCF would be 5,000 people, which I'd say is a reasonable number (where the 90% using cars came from). Why is it slower than how you made it seem? Anywhere from 1-15 minutes to wait for the next train, and that's IF you get on it (given it's typically 2 cars and they can't hold more than ~190 per car, so 400 people per train, every 15 minutes link). From the dome station to the MOA is a 31 minute ride (which is where the slow part came from). Add in the time from TCF to the dome station (5-10 minutes?). We're at 35-40 just to get to your car. My house in Lakeville is a 15 minute drive to the MOA (not counting getting out of the parking garage), while only a 25 minute drive to campus (no traffic). So BEST CASE scenario using LRT from campus to parking is 40 minutes plus whatever extra drive time you have due to the stop location you chose being out of the way from your home. Not including waiting on a tiny platform with hundreds to thousands of people for 1-15 minutes, assuming you make the next train. Easy 1 hour total trip and I don't have the ability to tailgate, drive wherever I want before/after the game. Plus I've spent $1.75 per person per direction ($3.50 since the game is more than 2.5 hours) which for a group of 4 that's $14 (which would cover the cost of parking for a car on campus). That's why you might get 5-10% of the crowd using it.

And if the public transport mode was so great why aren't people taking advantage of it today by LRT-ing it to the dome then riding the frequent 16 bus over through campus???

Keep in mind that TF is truly the "end of the line" for the LRT so everyone is crowding on trains going in a single direction. At TCF, they can ride to the game and leave from the game going in either direction (and could have parked in a wider variety of locations across the 2 lines + Northstar). That will help with the overcrowding somewhat I suspect.

As for they "why aren't people using public transpo more today with LRT and the 16?" Best guess says it's because people feel more comfortable when they don't have to do transfers (or in some cases, when they don't have to ride the bus). One of the nice things about LRT for the public transpo novice is that the limited number of stops/the single, easily identified route makes things easier to think about. You don't have to worry about remembering the right route number for your bus and ending up in "the wrong part of town" or something. Honestly, the best reasons I can come up with are all dumb ones. But that's coming from someone who has never been uncomfortable with getting around on public transpo.

Keep in mind that TF is truly the "end of the line" for the LRT so everyone is crowding on trains going in a single direction. At TCF, they can ride to the game and leave from the game going in either direction (and could have parked in a wider variety of locations across the 2 lines + Northstar). That will help with the overcrowding somewhat I suspect.

As for they "why aren't people using public transpo more today with LRT and the 16?" Best guess says it's because people feel more comfortable when they don't have to do transfers (or in some cases, when they don't have to ride the bus). One of the nice things about LRT for the public transpo novice is that the limited number of stops/the single, easily identified route makes things easier to think about. You don't have to worry about remembering the right route number for your bus and ending up in "the wrong part of town" or something. Honestly, the best reasons I can come up with are all dumb ones. But that's coming from someone who has never been uncomfortable with getting around on public transpo.

I guess I see the point with dual-direction LRT, but platforms will still be crowded. In addition, I would bet 3/4+ of the traffic will still head east toward downtown to transfer to the 55 line (down towards MoA) or continue on over to the TF/Northstar line. There isn't much good, free, safe parking along University Ave to StP so I would doubt many will go that way (just my opinion). I see your point on fewer stops/transfers on the LRT vs using multiple bus services, but today a passenger coming up the Hiawatha route just needs to make one transfer to a 16, which is no different than the future transfer to CC route. I think fear/dislike of buses vs train is a valid major reason (yet people hop on free shuttles to the state fair all the time).

My point was only that I don't foresee the traffic situation getting much better even after construction is completed. If I'm wrong, so be it and things on campus will be great on gameday.

I guess I see the point with dual-direction LRT, but platforms will still be crowded. In addition, I would bet 3/4+ of the traffic will still head east toward downtown to transfer to the 55 line (down towards MoA) or continue on over to the TF/Northstar line.
Don't disagree...that's the existing line and people know the most about it. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who know about the Hiawatha line who live in the SE metro who will switch when the realize how much more convenient hopping on the CC LRT in STP will be. You are right though, the platforms will be crowded regardless (the lines just might be better, if only marginally).
There isn't much good, free, safe parking along University Ave to StP so I would doubt many will go that way (just my opinion).
I'd argue that there will be plenty of safe (in reality) parking but that people's fears/perceptions about the safety will likely result in it being underutilized.
I see your point on fewer stops/transfers on the LRT vs using multiple bus services, but today a passenger coming up the Hiawatha route just needs to make one transfer to a 16, which is no different than the future transfer to CC route. I think fear/dislike of buses vs train is a valid major reason (yet people hop on free shuttles to the state fair all the time).
Yea, but you're speak (as am I) as someone who knows, understands, and appreciates public transpo. That's not the majority of casual riders so things like a simple transfer can become "scarier" (especially when you start talking switching up modes of transportation). The shuttle bus thing is different because A) you're talking about a known, limited stop route (basically, LRT on wheels for Gopher fans).

My point was only that I don't foresee the traffic situation getting much better even after construction is completed. If I'm wrong, so be it and things on campus will be great on gameday.
I think it will get better, but definitely not right away. Probably a several year process as people figure out the new normal.

RailBaronYarr said:
I guess I see the point with dual-direction LRT, but platforms will still be crowded. In addition, I would bet 3/4+ of the traffic will still head east toward downtown to transfer to the 55 line (down towards MoA) or continue on over to the TF/Northstar line. There isn't much good, free, safe parking along University Ave to StP so I would doubt many will go that way (just my opinion). I see your point on fewer stops/transfers on the LRT vs using multiple bus services, but today a passenger coming up the Hiawatha route just needs to make one transfer to a 16, which is no different than the future transfer to CC route. I think fear/dislike of buses vs train is a valid major reason (yet people hop on free shuttles to the state fair all the time).

I know from riding the LRT to the metronome and Target field that the trains can be jammed. I usually catch the train at 46th, and 45 minutes before game time you can't even get in the door. Part of the problem was that when the original lite rail line went in, the first line item to get nixed when they went over budget was funds for park &ride lots. Time will tell if history repeats itself.

I wouldn't leave my car parked overnite on University, but I agree with others that there is some suburban misconception going on. I live off of Grand, and I'll certainly consider taking the LRT down to the game come 2015. At least down to the M Club lot where I tailgate with friends. I'll be the one on the lite rail train with a goodie basket & a cooler. Maybe a bottle in a brown paper bag, too!

Top Bottom