The Gazette: Texas Bowl tickets available for $4 on Stub Hub

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Gazette, the Texas Bowl has the lowest priced tickets available on Stub Hub, $1.75 lower than the San Diego State/Buffalo Famous Idaho Potato Bowl:

Texas: $4. It’s Minnesota and Syracuse. If anyone is spotted in the stands at the Houston game, it will likely be an usher who is having a very easy day of work.

I did a search on StubHub after reading this article, and it looks like tickets can now be had for $3:

http://www.stubhub.com/texas-bowl-tickets/texas-bowl-houston-reliant-stadium-27-12-2013-4325715/

Go Gophers!!

Do they open up all of the seats for sale?

ok but the 3.00 tickets are nose bleed very upper levels
not sure why anyone would pay for those tickets

do they expect to sell out a 68000 seat stadium?

So someone with some big pockets should by a couple hundred donate them to local texas schools send them a gopher t shirt... Go to the game a show our colors. I just don't ever see us not getting passed over in now or in the future bowl games.. That sucks but it is true so u always have to finish 2 games ahead of the next guy to get a bowl very very tough to do.

I have Twins season tickets and also buy/sell some Twins tickets on StubHub and I don't understand why people even bother selling that low. At that point you might as well just give them away.

After reading some of the complaints from Orange Fans about the little respect they get from the basketball fans up there, their complaints of a general lack of support, the long haul to Houston and the lack of glamour of the Texas Bowl itself, guessing the school may be unloading their "ticket commitment" a little earlier and for less money than they would like.

It also wouldn't be a surprise due to the utter lack of interest in Texas for either team, that the Corps/Money that agreed to buy tickets beforehand are getting what they can too.

per The Gazette, the Texas Bowl has the lowest priced tickets available on Stub Hub, $1.75 lower than the San Diego State/Buffalo Famous Idaho Potato Bowl:

Texas: $4. It’s Minnesota and Syracuse. If anyone is spotted in the stands at the Houston game, it will likely be an usher who is having a very easy day of work.

I did a search on StubHub after reading this article, and it looks like tickets can now be had for $3:

http://www.stubhub.com/texas-bowl-tickets/texas-bowl-houston-reliant-stadium-27-12-2013-4325715/

Go Gophers!!

To be fair, many of those cheap seats don't even exist in some of the other bowl games. The Potato Bowl seats about 35K less than in Houston.

After reading some of the complaints from Orange Fans about the little respect they get from the basketball fans up there, their complaints of a general lack of support, the long haul to Houston and the lack of glamour of the Texas Bowl itself, guessing the school may be unloading their "ticket commitment" a little earlier and for less money than they would like.

It also wouldn't be a surprise due to the utter lack of interest in Texas for either team, that the Corps/Money that agreed to buy tickets beforehand are getting what they can too.

It appears to be the case. If you go on their website, they only show 8 sections available to purchase tickets where on gophersports.com there are something like 20 sections.

There is a shocking amount for sale right now, over 6000 including pretty much whole sections, both sections behind the Syracuse and Minnesota benches have over 250 tickets. Someone is dumping tickets or the Bowl is just selling through Stubhub. An average Gopher football game has about 1500. the december 22 Texans home game has 1500 for the worst team in the league.

Something strange going on.

The bowl is owned/operated by the Houston Texans, whose season ticket holders account for more than 40,000 pre-sold tickets to the game. Those folks have already watched enough bad football this year, and probably only had a passing interest in the bowl if a local team was involved. They clearly have no interest in seeing Minnesota vs. Syracuse, and are just hoping to get whatever they can for their tickets.

I was looking at going the Stubhub route since I'm traveling solo on a day trip to the game, but the $17 in shipping is too much. I'll have no problem scoring a $5-10 ticket outside the stadium.

There is a shocking amount for sale right now, over 6000 including pretty much whole sections, both sections behind the Syracuse and Minnesota benches have over 250 tickets. Someone is dumping tickets or the Bowl is just selling through Stubhub. An average Gopher football game has about 1500. the december 22 Texans home game has 1500 for the worst team in the league.

Only if "supply and demand" is strange. Even if Minnesota and Syracuse were required to take 15,000 tickets each. That's still 41,500 tickets the Texas Bowl people (the Houston Texans organization?) has to unload. They are even trying to package it with next year's Badger/LSU Kickoff game. A game that probably has a lot more appeal down there.

Next year they get teams from the SEC and Big 12. That should make everyone a lot happier.

http://www.thetexasbowl.com/two-game-packs-on-sale-now/

I figured this would be the case with most bowls (or close to it) so I pulled the numbers from StubHub for every B1G bowl that's not a BCS bowl (no point in using some outliers like the Rose):

Outback: $65
Cap 1: $60
Gator: $38.50
BWW: $28

These numbers we're seeing are disappointing. I understand we're playing a significantly less sexy opponent and neither team is geographically represented but for tickets to sell at 1/10 the lowest cost ticket of the cheapest bowl is disheartening.

I just hope and pray that one day we'll be in a Rose Bowl and all of us are begging and pleading to find $500 tickets. It will be a great day and it will happen.

As I've mentioned, I have friends/family that are Badger alums and every one of them spent the money to travel to Pasadena for the 1st of their three in 2010 and over 75% spent the money on the second of their three in 2011 with airfare approaching over $1,000 for those trips on top of the several hundred dollar tickets. I just can't imagine how excited our fan base will be when we reach that moment as well considering it's been 50 years not 10.

So someone with some big pockets should by a couple hundred donate them to local texas schools send them a gopher t shirt... Go to the game a show our colors. I just don't ever see us not getting passed over in now or in the future bowl games.. That sucks but it is true so u always have to finish 2 games ahead of the next guy to get a bowl very very tough to do.

Once again, that only matters for the top bowls. It wouldn't have mattered this year.

Texans season ticket holders are required to buy for this game. It's part of the season ticket package. Why not sell them? Getting a $1 is basically "profit".

ok but the 3.00 tickets are nose bleed very upper levels. not sure why anyone would pay for those tickets.

Buy the $3 nose-bleeds, then I'm guessing you can go sit pretty much anywhere you want. If someone wants to get a better view of the game I doubt ushers are going to be overly vigilant about keeping folks in their assigned seats. Certainly a game where, relatively speaking, there'll be nobody in attendance.

I have Twins season tickets and also buy/sell some Twins tickets on StubHub and I don't understand why people even bother selling that low. At that point you might as well just give them away.

Economically, you are no doubt correct. I suspect that there is a component of wanting to embarrass the team or event and/or undercut their ability to sell tickets at or near full price, probably fueled by frustration over being compelled to buy the tickets or having purchased tickets at a price far exceeding their value on the secondary market.

I was looking at going the Stubhub route since I'm traveling solo on a day trip to the game, but the $17 in shipping is too much. I'll have no problem scoring a $5-10 ticket outside the stadium.

How about spending $25/$40 through the U?

Buy the $3 nose-bleeds, then I'm guessing you can go sit pretty much anywhere you want. If someone wants to get a better view of the game I doubt ushers are going to be overly vigilant about keeping folks in their assigned seats. Certainly not at a game where, relatively speaking, there's going to be nobody in attendance.

I see there are $1 tickets now. I agree, you could buy the cheap ticket and then move down to more desirable seating.

How about spending $25/$40 through the U?

I always have in the past for the previous six bowl games I've attended, and if I was going with a group, I'd do it again. But I'm going by myself, and in the interest of keeping this trip as short and cheap as possible - especially considering how much $$ I've spent traveling to Gopher football games this season - I'll be finding a ticket on game day.

Buy the $3 nose-bleeds, then I'm guessing you can go sit pretty much anywhere you want. If someone wants to get a better view of the game I doubt ushers are going to be overly vigilant about keeping folks in their assigned seats. Certainly a game where, relatively speaking, there'll be nobody in attendance.

This.

I bought a nosebleed last year and sat on the first row of the endzone next to Goldy.

there are now tix on stubhub in the bottom sections for 3 dollars

I would guess that the people who own those tickets are Texans season ticket holders, and they don't know anyone who would want a Gophers-Syracuse ticket. This could be a difficult ticket to give away if you're from Houston.

All the donated tickets may have muddled the market. Or the recipients of the freebies are trying to trade up and cash out.

All the donated tickets may have muddled the market. Or the recipients of the freebies are trying to trade up and cash out.

Your theory is the 2,000 to 3,000 (?) donated tickets muddled a market of 71,500 tickets? The vast majority of them held by people who have no interest in going to the game?

I would guess that the people who own those tickets are Texans season ticket holders, and they don't know anyone who would want a Gophers-Syracuse ticket. This could be a difficult ticket to give away if you're from Houston.

Not much of stretch to imagine. Think Timberwolves tickets or Upper Deck Tickets to many Non-Conference Gopher games at the Dome. Now add TWO teams from 1,200 miles and 1,600 miles away that nobody locally cares about.

Not good.

The bowl is owned/operated by the Houston Texans, whose season ticket holders account for more than 40,000 pre-sold tickets to the game. Those folks have already watched enough bad football this year, and probably only had a passing interest in the bowl if a local team was involved. They clearly have no interest in seeing Minnesota vs. Syracuse, and are just hoping to get whatever they can for their tickets.

They may have to convince Matt Schaub to have a dunk tank at half time if they want any of those folks to show up.

My roommates/friends and I just bought 16 front row tix in section 110 for $45 a piece before service charges ($50.75 after). Hopefully the stadium allows the students who bought tickets through the school to move into the lower bowl if the stadium is as empty as it seems to be.

I figured this would be the case with most bowls (or close to it) so I pulled the numbers from StubHub for every B1G bowl that's not a BCS bowl (no point in using some outliers like the Rose):

Outback: $65
Cap 1: $60
Gator: $38.50
BWW: $28

These numbers we're seeing are disappointing. I understand we're playing a significantly less sexy opponent and neither team is geographically represented but for tickets to sell at 1/10 the lowest cost ticket of the cheapest bowl is disheartening.

I just hope and pray that one day we'll be in a Rose Bowl and all of us are begging and pleading to find $500 tickets. It will be a great day and it will happen.

As I've mentioned, I have friends/family that are Badger alums and every one of them spent the money to travel to Pasadena for the 1st of their three in 2010 and over 75% spent the money on the second of their three in 2011 with airfare approaching over $1,000 for those trips on top of the several hundred dollar tickets. I just can't imagine how excited our fan base will be when we reach that moment as well considering it's been 50 years not 10.

I don't think it is a hug surprise though. Many of the tickets were essentially forced on people who don't give a rip about the game. Look at the attendance of an NFL pre-season game. It's kinda the same thing in that season ticket holders are forced to purchase those tickets. Now imagine instead of it being the Vikings playing, it was Carolina vs. Oakland in the metrodome.

It sucks, but when sit back and think about, it is not that surprising.

Top Bottom