The Fox is on the loose!

march madness

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why one would give Ihnen more minutes than Fox! The only skill Ihnen has that’s better is streaky 3 pt shooting. Fox is a better rebounder, defender, and passer. I mean maybe you play Fox with Garcia, and Ihnen with Payne, to have 1 post who can shoot.

I just wanted to say that one block on Kaiser today felt so good to watch (even though he had already been fouled on the floor so it wouldn't have counted).

I don't really notice Ihnen out there unless he's airballing (or sometimes making!) a 3.

Fox is just always making something happen, tipping a ball or jumping off the raised court.

Can anyone explain why one would give Ihnen more minutes than Fox! The only skill Ihnen has that’s better is streaky 3 pt shooting. Fox is a better rebounder, defender, and passer. I mean maybe you play Fox with Garcia, and Ihnen with Payne, to have 1 post who can shoot.
Not sure it is an either/or situation with Fox and Ihnen due to the roles they each play but based on recent games I won't be surprised to see Fox's minutes continue to go up and Ihnen's to stay the same or drop some.

Fox brings a real spark to the team when he is in there and he was massive during the minutes he logged against Maryland. Back when they signed him I was really excited to see what he could do. The knee injuries robbed him of a couple seasons but fun to see him starting to settle in and take on a bigger role for this team.

If the players are even but one gets the fans rocking and the other is Ihnen…play the one that gets the fans rocking. And in this case—they aren’t even.

The block he had (that didn’t count) was absurd. Fans remember that play. He’s a 100% hustle guy who does cool shit. Every team needs a Parker Fox.

Is he eligible to return next year? His interview on KFAN a few weeks ago leads me to believe he only cares about basketball. It’s his entire life. He’s a hoops junky. Another year playing ball or selling insurance in Anoka? He’s not leaving until they make him. And even then he’s going to find a way to be around hoops.

See....I still think Ihnen is the more valuable player since he's able to score from multiple places on the court. Fox is incredibly limited on the offensive end to the point where he basically needs to be fed the ball directly under the rim.

Now Fox does some other things well.....but I don't think "energy off the bench" is enough reason to say that he's a more valuable player.

Not sure why we are pitting them against each other. Fox played more minutes yesterday and they are both part of the 8-9 man rotation being used. They bring different things against different teams. Maryland pressures the ball more and Fox is a slasher so it made sense to play him more yesterday.

Ihnen's playing time is going to come down (only four minutes last night). But you throw him out there every game because you never know when the streaky 3-pt shooter will catch a streak.

This is a deep team. Some where along the line when we are down ten in the second half, Ihnen will hit three in a row and erase the lead.

Not sure why we are pitting them against each other. Fox played more minutes yesterday and they are both part of the 8-9 man rotation being used. They bring different things against different teams. Maryland pressures the ball more and Fox is a slasher so it made sense to play him more yesterday.
Thank you. Many things in life, aren’t simply a either/or choice.

They are both important to the team in different ways.
Ihnen will contribute more with scoring and some rebounding, plus he can play D against smaller guys. He's been very streaky with his shooting, which considering he didn't play for two years is understandable.
Fox impacts the game without really scoring. His defensive (shot blocking) presence, rebounding, hustle and energy help this team. He makes plays for the team goal of winning. His offense is limited to monster dunks on feeds or from rebounds and put backs. But his impact on the game can change it in our favor like last night when he frustrated Reese and got two offensive fouls on him during his time in the first half.
By years end both of them will make key plays or have great games that help us win.

I think Fox should actually be eating a bit more into JOJ's time as well.

Was at the game yesterday and agree that Fox definitely raises the energy level when in the game or on the bench. However, when he came out of the game for the last time he was noticeably limping and uncomfortable. His health may be why he doesn't log more minutes.

Was at the game yesterday and agree that Fox definitely raises the energy level when in the game or on the bench. However, when he came out of the game for the last time he was noticeably limping and uncomfortable. His health may be why he doesn't log more minutes.
The limp could be from when he went off the elevated floor.

See....I still think Ihnen is the more valuable player since he's able to score from multiple places on the court. Fox is incredibly limited on the offensive end to the point where he basically needs to be fed the ball directly under the rim.

Now Fox does some other things well.....but I don't think "energy off the bench" is enough reason to say that he's a more valuable player.

But does he score from multiple places? In 4 big ten games he is 0/6 with 1 point in 33 minutes. He has added 3 rebounds, 1 block and committed 6 fouls.

Fox is 1/3 with 6 points in 26 minutes. He has added 2 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks while committing 5 fouls.

Ihnen has shown no ability to score against big ten competition in his career. His peak per game conference average was 3.8 points per game as a freshman. He doesn’t drive to the hoop well or often and the Gophers have more consistent 3pt shooters.

I don’t see Ihnen as a great defender. Or even a good one. He has little to no role outside of injuries or foul trouble.

Fox at least has energy and is a better defender.

But does he score from multiple places? In 4 big ten games he is 0/6 with 1 point in 33 minutes. He has added 3 rebounds, 1 block and committed 6 fouls.

Fox is 1/3 with 6 points in 26 minutes. He has added 2 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks while committing 5 fouls.

Ihnen has shown no ability to score against big ten competition in his career. His peak per game conference average was 3.8 points per game as a freshman. He doesn’t drive to the hoop well or often and the Gophers have more consistent 3pt shooters.

I don’t see Ihnen as a great defender. Or even a good one. He has little to no role outside of injuries or foul trouble.

Ihnen has played a total of 34 minutes in the four Big Ten games.......yet GH posters are acting like the guy is some sort of troll. He had a major cold streak shooting earlier in the non-con....yet is still managing 37.8% from three point range. That's not bad. Fact is.....I prefer someone who is able to provide some offense. Fox is incredibly limited which puts a greater burden and more attention on the other four players.

But I guess I don't understand why people are complaining about the limited minutes of either of these guys.

Ihnen has played a total of 34 minutes in the four Big Ten games.......yet GH posters are acting like the guy is some sort of troll. He had a major cold streak shooting earlier in the non-con....yet is still managing 37.8% from three point range. That's not bad. Fact is.....I prefer someone who is able to provide some offense. Fox is incredibly limited which puts a greater burden and more attention on the other four players.

But I guess I don't understand why people are complaining about the limited minutes of either of these guys.

Limited offensively has nothing to do with it. Hustle, energy, and being in the right spots defensively/offensively can be just as important to helping the team win. Every team could use a team-first player like that.

I watched Texas the other day, and their Fox is Brock Cunningham. That guy is all over the place on the court. He’s a fan favorite too.

Limited offensively has nothing to do with it. Hustle, energy, and being in the right spots defensively/offensively can be just as important to helping the team win. Every team could use a team-first player like that.

I watched Texas the other day, and their Fox is Brock Cunningham. That guy is all over the place on the court. He’s a fan favorite too.

How so? The fact is that Fox is basically unguarded when he's more than a few feet from the basket, which makes things more difficult for everyone else. I'm not trying to say that he shouldn't play or that the minutes he gets should be cut. I'm just saying that both him and Ihnen bring something different to the table. Some games they may be invisible and others they may contribute in a meaningful way. But neither is getting enough minutes to the point that we should be questioning them getting onto the floor.

Extremely well said!! Ihnen is a bad big ten player has been since he has been here. We have a large sample size. Fox is rounding into form. Play 8 trust 7. Barring injuries/blowout Ihnen has no business being on a big ten court.

Last edited:

When he made that late block he tumbled out of bounds and off the floor landing awkwardly, the coaches immediately took him out. Hopefully didn’t screw up one of his repaired knees. His experience helps this team, when he was at Northern State he was the guy, leading scorer, rebounder and a dunkaholic. Would like him to get 15-20 minutes a game.

He shot 43.5% in non-conference against some awful opponents. I’m sure if he’s wide open and no one is running to defend him he’s a fine shooter. If that’s the looks he can get in the conference—great.

He is 0-6 in conference play. He hasn’t attempted a 2 point shot. So if the gophers matchup against Bethune Cookman or University of Alabama at Baton Rouge he should play.

He shot 43.5% in non-conference against some awful opponents. I’m sure if he’s wide open and no one is running to defend him he’s a fine shooter. If that’s the looks he can get in the conference—great.

He is 0-6 in conference play. He hasn’t attempted a 2 point shot. So if the gophers matchup against Bethune Cookman or University of Alabama at Baton Rouge he should play.

He's made plenty of contested threes this year too. But again.....I can't help but laugh that this is what people point to as reason why Ihnen shouldn't play......considering that Fox only has a single bucket himself in BT play.

Top Bottom