The Fleck staring into space look

kg21

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. He came here thinking he would recruit like crazy. He can't and now knows it.

He knows they are unathletic and slow. He kind of had that give up and not know what to do look.

If he could bolt for a similar situation, I say he'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think this thing is headed off the rails.

I’ve always thought that when it ends, the Fleck era would end quickly. The 4th quarter looked like Brewster teams getting schooled at home by FCS.

I said pretty much the same think to my wife (who thinks PJ is dreamy)… “look at him. He looks lost”.
It was for sure a look we’re not used to. It was kind of a “I’m in way over my head here” look.

Personally, it looked more like a guy who’s had a history of pulling the right strings and motivating his guys probably feeling like he’s lost a bunch of kids he pours his heart into and now not knowing how to change that course. Pj isn’t bolting or quitting here. He has no stock anywhere else with the implosion. He rights the ship or goes back to the MAC and he ain’t voluntarily going back

Personally, it looked more like a guy who’s had a history of pulling the right strings and motivating his guys probably feeling like he’s lost a bunch of kids he pours his heart into and now not knowing how to change that course. Pj isn’t bolting or quitting here. He has no stock anywhere else with the implosion. He rights the ship or goes back to the MAC and he ain’t voluntarily going back
Not sure if he can alter his philosophy without looking like a total hypocrite, and I don't think he's the person who would even if it cost him his job. He'll go down with the proverbial ship. I'm hopeful that this season is a one off

Sadly agree with all of the above - our “Joe Rossi” defense which was exposed v Northwestern, Michigan Illinois and yet again today leads me to unfortunate conclusion that we are back to year zero - PJ has lost this team - I put a friendly fiver w my buddy that we can’t keep OSU under 60 with this shit show defense

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. He came here thinking he would recruit like crazy. He can't and now knows it.

He knows they are unathletic and slow. He kind of had that give up and not know what to do look.

If he could bolt for a similar situation, I say he'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think this thing is headed off the rails.
I know he knows it’s tough, but he has $6 million reasons to stay.

Sadly agree with all of the above - our “Joe Rossi” defense which was exposed v Northwestern, Michigan Illinois and yet again today leads me to unfortunate conclusion that we are back to year zero - PJ has lost this team - I put a friendly fiver w my buddy that we can’t keep OSU under 60 with this shit show defense
I think Day calls off the dogs and it’s 59-13.

Exhibit A that you could tel Fleck was not in the game mentally is calling a timeout to kick a field goal to get to 19 points down with 10 minutes to play. It made zero sense.
Just pulling a Gutekunst. Don’t you remember in the late 80s when we were down 31 to nothing or so. Brought in the field-goal kicker and we scored. Avoided the shut out and said hey I want to give the guy some confidence.

He has lost this team - the level of athleticism and other coaching skill sets has caught up with him - reality>hype

Hellmans>Miracle Whip

That is all

He has lost this team - the level of athleticism and other coaching skill sets has caught up with him - reality>hype

Hellmans>Miracle Whip

That is all
I want to give you a Like, but holding out hope for the improbable. I do agree that Hellmann’s kicks ass over miracle whip.

PJ is the dumb non-thinker he claims to be. His in game coaching and adjustments or feel for how a game is going is a big zero. He laughs every time his huge checks clear and get deposited. Disingenuous and phony. Purdue has whipped the Gophers two consecutive years.

Exhibit A that you could tel Fleck was not in the game mentally is calling a timeout to kick a field goal to get to 19 points down with 10 minutes to play. It made zero sense.
When you are down three scores with 10 minutes left, you want to take the points so you can make it a three score game. Or something like that. We should ask Bielema what the card said.

No, he was conceding the game
Which I didn’t like but I understood. He knew the defense could not stop them. And that 3 points was better to build from compared to not getting a 4th and super long

PJ is the dumb non-thinker he claims to be. His in game coaching and adjustments or feel for how a game is going is a big zero. He laughs every time his huge checks clear and get deposited. Disingenuous and phony. Purdue has whipped the Gophers two consecutive years.
You are disingenuous and phony, in my opinion

Yes that was a signal to every players on both teams and every viewer on TV or in the stadium that he had given up. Can't believe he did that. Note how the team fell apart after that.

Yes that was a signal to every players on both teams and every viewer on TV or in the stadium that he had given up. Can't believe he did that. Note how the team fell apart after that.
The team was down 22 at that moment and lost by 19?

PJ Fleck's deflated look is understandable.

Talent and depth aren't as advertised before the beginning of the season. Coaching and play-calling on offense are mediocre.

They let the opportunity to win the last Big Ten West slip on two winnable games.

It is hard to recruit to Minnesota. The PJ Fleck era is no exception. They got lucky with a couple of recruiting classes. They have not been able to repeat the success.

Yes, that was a new look for him. Deflated.

Only other time I've seen that look was the last time they gave up 300+ rushing yards in a game. That was the 2018 game at Illinois. The look was clear and obvious that day in Illinois. Same look at Purdue on Saturday. Only two times I've noticed it.

After the 2018 Illinois debacle, he fired Robb Smith the next day. I don't think he is firing anyone this time, but I do think he is probably trying to figure out what to do next.

In 2018 a week after that look, he pulled off a stunning, absolutely unexpected 41-10 upset of Purdue, which was at the time was contending to win the West after beating #19 Iowa the previous week and #2 Ohio State a few weeks before that. It sent Purdue into a spiral where they lost 14 of their 21 games, while Minnesota would win 13 of their 16 games.

Not sure if he can alter his philosophy without looking like a total hypocrite, and I don't think he's the person who would even if it cost him his job. He'll go down with the proverbial ship. I'm hopeful that this season is a one off
he'll go down with the "boat"

Top Bottom