The evolution of football gear/uniforms

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I tend to always pause and check out the "Big 10's Greatest games" when I am channel flipping. It is interesting to note the evolution of uniforms and gear, even over somewhat short periods of time.

It seemed like the linemen began to figure out that BIG sleeves were a no-no during the 80's. I am dating myself but I can still remember the first interior linemen coming up with home made taped remedies to make their jersey sleeves smaller. Guys got sick of being thrown around by their jersey sleeves. But, watching the mid 90's Northwestern game last night (Fitzgerald, Schnur, and co) the linebackers, backs, and QB's still had big blousy sleeves. Just about EVERYONE also had massive shoulder pads. I can still remember those big pads on Darrel Thompson. Over the past 10 years EVERYTHING has been getting smaller... pads, skin tight jerseys, etc. It is amazing how watching a game that took place just a decade ago appears to be so caveman-ish.

And helmets... when is the last time you have seen a vertical bar going the length of a facemask? Nobody has a vertical bar between their eyes now days. Even running backs in the 80's often had a big bar going down the middle of their facemask.

The one thing that really perplexes me is the frequency in which helmets fly off of guys heads now. Only a few years ago a popped helmet was still a sportscenter worthy event. Now, you see a helmet fly out of the action on about every third play. I realize a lot of technology has been put into headgear but it seems they may have to readdress ye olde chin strap.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but the helmets-flying-off thing may be a safety precaution in itself. An unnatural twist of the helmet, via holding a facemask or something, becomes a lot less dangerous when said helmet is no longer attached to a player's spine.

Then again, you'd still be faced with the issue of running around without a helmet, which would of course raise it's own set of problems.

Top Bottom