The dust has settled

So we only need to wait for parity of National Championships before asking for a decent broadcast. See you in about 20 years.

I disagree. When you combine the fact it was brought up repeatedly, and combine that with Gilmore's wacky statements about MN players being heros for generations at future reunions - it all combined to be quite patronizing. It was Gilmore in particular.
There may be something to what you're saying, but the last thing, the LAST thing I want Gophers fans to become is Badger fans; hardly a fan base in the country that worries more about what people think than Badger fan. That level of insecurity is just downright unhealthy, it's pathetic

I'm guessing that was just the fault of the TV guy on the field that tells the refs when it's okay to start play again. He's usually the guy with a big glove on that holds his arm up until it's time to start play again. Or the refs just ignored him for some reason. I believe the play was missed live on Gophers radio as well.
I thought it was a red hat?

Red hat guy

There may be something to what you're saying, but the last thing, the LAST thing I want Gophers fans to become is Badger fans; hardly a fan base in the country that worries more about what people think than Badger fan. That level of insecurity is just downright unhealthy, it's pathetic
That's why they drink so much...;)

Kessenich badly wanted Johnson’s amazing catch to be called incomplete. He was lobbying his mates to agree with him. Gilmore did at first, but turned around in a few seconds. Kessenich was utterly embarrassing.

I thought they were fine and as the game went on were more and more complementary towards the Gophers.

The comments about Auburn were to indicate that the Gophers were beating a motivated Auburn team and head off any "well they didn't want to be there" / explaining away what was happening. That's not a bad thing.

The only thing I kinda didn't like was that they were pretty easy going on the refs when there were some BRUTAL missed calls (not the worst reffing but a few sucked ass) and the whole clock not starting during plays randomly they didn't notice.... like guies.

But they did get excited and praise the Gophers when they made plays / knew the playmakers and etc.
Agree. This was pretty hashed out in another thread.

Well, it has now been nearly a month since the Outback Bowl. I have rewatched it too many times to admit to even my fellow readers of Gopherhole, let alone "normal" people. Despite how many times I have watched it, I am still amazed at how spectacular that game was for the Gophers. Don't need to rehash the play by play with a bunch of people that know exactly what I am talking about. Total domination, both sides of the ball.

However, the more I watch it, the more the ESPN commentary of the game annoys me.

The crew was Jason Benetti (play-by-play) Rod Gilmore (analyst) Quint Kessenich (sideline). I haven't minded the guys in the booth (Benetti and Gilmore) in the past and enjoyed them doing the Maryland game this past season and Wisconsin game last year. Benetti was still generally okay for the bowl but Kessenich and particularly Gilmore has me clawing at my own ears.

The patronizing comments, the way they generally treated the matchup like it was Bloomington Kennedy vs the 49ers, and the constant flow of SEC propaganda gets continually more obvious and annoying the more I rewatch the game. All the SEC stereotypes are on full display with Gilmore. SEC speed, patronizing repeated comments about "Auburn wants to be here", and assumptions Auburn simply had to be the best team and defense the Gophers had seen because, you know, SEC!

I admire your Gopher passion but have you ever thought about finding a hobby to keep you busy from January to August?

Kessenich badly wanted Johnson’s amazing catch to be called incomplete. He was lobbying his mates to agree with him. Gilmore did at first, but turned around in a few seconds. Kessenich was utterly embarrassing.

That was a well executed Gopher game. The spectacular catches and great runs are bonuses. They gifted us a great game. Witham finally has his day under the sun. TJ was TJ. Bateman almost busted one for a TD. There are two or three incredible runs by Mo Ibrahim and Rodney Smith.

Last edited:

Well, it has now been nearly a month since the Outback Bowl. I have rewatched it too many times to admit to even my fellow readers of Gopherhole, let alone "normal" people. Despite how many times I have watched it, I am still amazed at how spectacular that game was for the Gophers. Don't need to rehash the play by play with a bunch of people that know exactly what I am talking about. Total domination, both sides of the ball.

Same for me. Anytime that I want to have just something in the background or really enjoy it again I play it. Same enjoyment every time. And yes, the announcers are mostly dinks but to be fair they were as surprised as anybody with our strong performance...as well as Auburn's lack thereof.

I think it's time to watch the Penn State game again...

Respect has to be earned. Our beating PSU got the nation's attention, our losing to Iowa and then Wisconsin lost that attention, but our beating Auburn earned it back. But that respect is only given to the individual season and to Fleck. The University of Minnesota as an entity will not garner respect from the nation until we prove we deserve it, and our having produced more Nobel Prize winners than the entire SEC combined doesn't impress most people, especially when people like Obama win the Peace Prize and people like Greta get mentioned as being considered for it.

The average American doesn't have a clue how UMn contributes to their lives, so the only way they will ever really be made aware of it in any way, is from UMn doing well at sports, and unfortunately it has to be a sport the nation's sports fans care about, which is basically just cbb and cfb.

And who remembers those great seasons by Iowa or Mich St? Outside of diehard cfb fans? No one. Because they not only didn't win, but they got throttled in their last games.

Same can be said about the Indiana bb team that got to the Title game back in what, 2002 or 2003?

Short term, great seasons are great, but to become recognized nationally, UMn has to win a Natl Title in either cfb or cbb and they might need to win one in both. And even then they can't be a one hit wonder, they have to be the result of the program being built up to the point of being able to reload, not needing to rebuild more than on rare occasions.

I may be one of the few that truly believes Fleck loves it here and feels this is the last place he ever wants to coach, but I do believe that, and the way he has transformed the culture, I'd even be ok if he never wins a Natl Title, I'd still want him to remain for 20+ years, but he'd at least need to get us to the point of regularly beating UW and Iowa and Nebraska, and hopefully Michigan, MSU and PSU as well. But I don't think he will fail. I think he's going to shock everyone and prove it can be done here. The only negative I see coming from it, is that he will get most or all of the credit and UMn as an entity never will, but I hope Pitino helps by winning a cbb Natl Title soon after our VB team wins at least one Natl Title as well, and then while I'm on this topic, maybe Whalen can deliver us a women's bb title, too? Then Minnesota can become seen by the nation, not just diehard Gopher homer fans, as an entity, as a destination school.

And yes, until maybe all of that happens, the nation as a whole will NEVER give Minnesota, as an entity, the respect it deserves.

One short additional thought. Reality is, the rest of the nation enjoys poking fun of and laughing at Minnesota.

...not as bad as New Jersey though...

Well, it's more enjoyable to poke fun of Minnesota and Minnesotans as they either are over sensitive about it and get triggered, which is entertaining to see, or they have good senses of humor and can laugh at themselves and along with those poking fun of them/us.

Jerseyians will just cut your throat. ;)

Benetti and Gilmore were just fine. Gilmore's schtick about "Auburn wanting to be there" got old, but other than that, I didn't have a problem with anything they said; and why should Benetti not have been surprised that TJ got his foot down on that TD. First view live there were plenty who thought it was out.
The jackhole was Kessenich, who was reporting from Auburn's sidelines, and running interviews he did with Auburn throughout various points of the game. Kessenich was clearly displaying bias toward Auburn throughout, but he didn't have a big part in the broadcast. I may have missed it, but I did not see an equal counterpart on the Gopher sidelines. So yes, that was bias.

As far as perceptions that Auburn should be better than the Gophers - well dear god, what should any longtime football fan expect? As long as Fleck remains the Gophers' coach, that perception will now change. But there were 60 years of mediocrity that suggested the 2019 Gophers weren't yet to be trusted. I don't blame the announcers for that perception.

The patronizing comments, the way they generally treated the matchup like it was Bloomington Kennedy vs the 49ers, and the constant flow of SEC propaganda gets continually more obvious and annoying the more I rewatch the game. All the SEC stereotypes are on full display with Gilmore. SEC speed, patronizing repeated comments about "Auburn wants to be here", and assumptions Auburn simply had to be the best team and defense the Gophers had seen because, you know, SEC!
It doesn't excuse it one bit, and I hate ESPN for the fact that they've placed their bets on the SEC and ACC and don't care about the rest ..... but the fact of the matter probably was that the TV audience for this game was at least 4 to 1 in favor of people rooting for Auburn and generally fans of the SEC.

That knockout Tyler Johnson long TD gives me goose bumps every time I watched it. It is a thing of beauty. Man, we are lucky that Tanner Morgan unequivocally wanted to be a Gopher.

In a way, I am glad that the Gophers did not make the Rose Bowl. This victory over Auburn will do a lot to Gopher Recruiting in SEC country.

That was a physical and tactical beat down of a very good SEC team.

I really didn't take that stuff as a slight.

Auburn wants to be here stuff was an absolute compliment because Auburn had a recent history of just not showing up for bowl games.

It would have been considerably more annoying (to me) if they talked about it like Auburn was just flat and didn't want to be there. We beat a very talented and ready opponent. I am glad that beat that horse to death.

Why do people care what the announcers say? Why does it matter?
I’m not trying to be mean, but why then does anyone give a crap what the weather will be for a game?

Weather going to happen without any input from anyone. People who are going are going to go, and people who are not are not. I find people’s obsession with the weather far, far more neurotic than those that observe what a biased “reporter” says or doesn’t say.

But you enjoy weather prediction and it is important to you and many others. Something can be done about biased reporting. Nothing can be done about the weather.

JMO.

Shockingly, it appears opinion is split. It’s funny, as I have no issue with Reusse‘s crotchetiness and brand of humor but he drives some people nuts. Some of PJF’s sales techniques are annoying as hell (to me) while others appear to really dig it and maybe even mimic it in their business lives. There was even division on the significance of Game Day.

Ultimately beauty and charisma and competence may be in the eye of the beholder.

I’m not trying to be mean, but why then does anyone give a crap what the weather will be for a game?

Weather going to happen without any input from anyone. People who are going are going to go, and people who are not are not. I find people’s obsession with the weather far, far more neurotic than those that observe what a biased “reporter” says or doesn’t say.

But you enjoy weather prediction and it is important to you and many others. Something can be done about biased reporting. Nothing can be done about the weather.

JMO.

Because the weather can affect the outcome of the games and what people wear to the games.

Announcers don't affect anything.

That knockout Tyler Johnson long TD gives me goose bumps every time I watched it. It is a thing of beauty. Man, we are lucky that Tanner Morgan unequivocally wanted to be a Gopher.

In a way, I am glad that the Gophers did not make the Rose Bowl. This victory over Auburn will do a lot to Gopher Recruiting in SEC country.

That was a physical and tactical beat down of a very good SEC team.
The final 3-4 minute possession made a huge statement. We have the lead AND the ball so take a hike cuz this game is ours!! The scrum where we pushed Mo about 7-8 yds downfield was my fav.

The final 3-4 minute possession made a huge statement. We have the lead AND the ball so take a hike cuz this game is ours!! The scrum where we pushed Mo about 7-8 yds downfield was my fav.

That was a a huge statement by the Gopher Offensive Line that we owned the clock and the game. I have never seen a Gopher team more happy and united as the 2019-2020 Gophers.

JMO.

The weather can impact the game significantly and can impact my enjoyment of the game.

Nothing can be done about the weather, but it definitely has more meaning than words said by an announcer.

The weather can impact the game significantly and can impact my enjoyment of the game.

Nothing can be done about the weather, but it definitely has more meaning than words said by an announcer.

You're asserting nobody can possibly annoy you or impact your enjoyment of an activity? Boy, you’re better than me. I am highly annoyed by certain people and personalities.

Top Bottom