The durability of Tanner Morgan

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
It's a bye week, may as well throw out a topic for discussion.

Since he took over for ZA, Morgan has had what's really been an amazing run of durability for a starting Power 5 QB. He has missed very very little time. With that durability brings some interesting dynamics.

The obvious upside is the continuity on the offensive side of the ball, and with that probably some reliability. For the most part, you know what you're going to get. He's likely underperformed a little bit this year but I would think you could expect him to play better as the year goes on, at least we can hope.

The downside of this, which has crept into discussions here lately, is the lack of any significant PT for any of the other QBs on the roster (with the exception of wildcat, mopup, etc). When was the last time the Gophers had a QB that took essentially all of the meaningful snaps for a duration like this? Weber played a lot of games, but he missed some time on a few occasions (hard to forget Tony Mortensen starting against Wisconsin in the botched punt game in the dome).

I think a lot of people here would sure like to see one of the other QBs play some meaningful minutes at some point, or at least before they are forced into emergency duty in a critical situation. I honestly can't remember a situation where not only has there been a QB to play as the #1 for this long, uninterrupted, AND you probably couldn't get much of a consensus among fans as to who the unquestioned #2 is, or where the future of the position is after Morgan.

It's a bye week, may as well throw out a topic for discussion.

Since he took over for ZA, Morgan has had what's really been an amazing run of durability for a starting Power 5 QB. He has missed very very little time. With that durability brings some interesting dynamics.

The obvious upside is the continuity on the offensive side of the ball, and with that probably some reliability. For the most part, you know what you're going to get. He's likely underperformed a little bit this year but I would think you could expect him to play better as the year goes on, at least we can hope.

The downside of this, which has crept into discussions here lately, is the lack of any significant PT for any of the other QBs on the roster (with the exception of wildcat, mopup, etc). When was the last time the Gophers had a QB that took essentially all of the meaningful snaps for a duration like this? Weber played a lot of games, but he missed some time on a few occasions (hard to forget Tony Mortensen starting against Wisconsin in the botched punt game in the dome).

I think a lot of people here would sure like to see one of the other QBs play some meaningful minutes at some point, or at least before they are forced into emergency duty in a critical situation. I honestly can't remember a situation where not only has there been a QB to play as the #1 for this long, uninterrupted, AND you probably couldn't get much of a consensus among fans as to who the unquestioned #2 is, or where the future of the position is after Morgan.
I don't think Weber ever missed a game -- also Cupito was the starter in '05

I don't think Weber ever missed a game -- also Cupito was the starter in '05
That's right! Cupito missed the Wisky game for Mortensen to start. One of the reasons I vividly remember that game (outside of the #&%*#&# obvious reason) is that the Gophers were favored by about 5 all week, with the assumption being that Cupito was going to start. Info came out late Friday night as I recall that Cupito wasn't playing, Mortensen starting, the sports books hadn't adjusted, and I kinda hammered Wisky at (+5) in that game. The only silver lining on what was a most miserable day watching Gopher football.

PJF seems to be very sensitive to not wanting to create a QB controversy situation. If the backup comes in and throws a nice pass fans will extrapolate that to being the next Trevor Lawrence, or maybe when it comes to Annexstad physically reminds more of Brad Johnson.

I can’t prove it but I’m convinced at least part of the movement to get ZA has to do with him being a Minnesota product. Tell me I’m wrong.

Barring injury, I really don’t see a reboot at QB this season, more likely an open fall competition next year between Annexstad, Clark, Kaliakmanis - unless Morgan returns to 2019 form and returns for another year and/or transfers occur. I’ll leave it to those that follow the eligibility machinations to figure that out.

Don’t discount the Krispy package! (Are we really calling it that?). Kramer hasn’t been throwing it, but still taking important snaps and making decisions at key moments isn’t nothing. Also ZA has a lot of experience for not being the starter. I wouldn’t worry too much about actual in game experience at this point. They all have a lot of practice and have been coached for a long time. Our OC doesn’t seem to ask a ton of the qb as far as complicated game plans, having them make a lot of reads, etc.

Top Bottom