The Dinkytown McDonald's has closed: Remembering the U of M's golden arches

Reading through this thread is like taking a trip down memory lane. Lots of nostalgia...
Time and change.....

Pour one out! Living 2 blocks from there for a few years while in school there were a lot of memories there! But without a doubt the one i will never forget is after a football game we ended up there and were trying to get some of the cheerleaders to come home with us to party. They seemed interested but asked if he had any cocaine, to which we said ahh no, and they promptly said they were not interested in our party. That is a 100% true story ha and I will never never forget it.
That’s when you say you do.

Perry’s Pizza after going to The Valley or Bootlegger Sam’s. Salad, two slices, and a Coke for $2.

Seeing Randy Breuer hunched over in the 7’ high ceiling.
Perry's Pizza was the best. Giant slices of pizza. Tasty. Cheap. It was a party after the party.

Thanks HopHead for the link to Al’s. Without any games to attend I hadn’t made a trip to Al’s this year. That is one place that is hard to be socially distant. Turns out Al’s has some menu items that make nice gifts. Not the same to make Al’s pancakes at home, but hopefully with a little help Al’s will still be there when this sh*t is over.

Perry's Pizza was the best. Giant slices of pizza. Tasty. Cheap. It was a party after the party.

I loved Perry's Pizza as well... Used to park over on Essex for hockey games and Perrys was my pregame stop.

I lived in LA for a total of 3 weeks before the exact scenario played out, the lesson we learned is "find cocaine".
swingers-1996.jpg

I lived in LA for a total of 3 weeks before the exact scenario played out, the lesson we learned is "find cocaine".
I have pulled the move where I say to some broads, “let’s go back to my crib and do a bunch of coke”.
If they say yes, it’s on, cause these broads party. If they don’t, then whatever.
I’ve never done coke and never would. Get back to crib, say your guy is running around and you expect him back, then break out the tequila, and oh bummer, my guy is running late, by the way is it hot in here?

Saw a documentary recently about the difference in price between a kilo of coca leaves and a kilo of blow. Something like $400 to $150k.

Most of the markup goes to the cartels, and a good chunk of that goes to cartel leaders and Mexican government officials.

Restaurants, old or new, have the highest business failure rate. Nostalgia doesn’t pay the bills. Circle of life.

Restaurants, old or new, have the highest business failure rate. Nostalgia doesn’t pay the bills. Circle of life.

Perhaps real estate prices/rent are just so high around campus it makes it hard. But we have so few bar/restaurants on campus for the size of the school. It just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to make money selling beer and pizza to college kids and sports fans.

First went to that McDs in 1980, as a seventh grader, attending state BB tourney at Williams. Blew my mind. Two stories!
As a Senior, I bought a 37 cent coffee every morning with pennies. It was on my walk to school.

Perhaps real estate prices/rent are just so high around campus it makes it hard. But we have so few bar/restaurants on campus for the size of the school. It just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to make money selling beer and pizza to college kids and sports fans.
On campus, or near campus?

The reason more stuff isn't on campus is quite simple: the university won't allow it. They want to force students to use University Dining services, to get their food. Also why you don't see any major grocery store near campus, they don't want students to be able to easily get groceries and cook their own food.

There is a Fresh Thyme now, in the new development up by Surly. That's the closest one, I think, and it's not a full size grocery store. Probably not cheap, either.

You have to go out to the Quarry to get a real grocery store (Cub).

On campus, or near campus?

The reason more stuff isn't on campus is quite simple: the university won't allow it. They want to force students to use University Dining services, to get their food. Also why you don't see any major grocery store near campus, they don't want students to be able to easily get groceries and cook their own food.

There is a Fresh Thyme now, in the new development up by Surly. That's the closest one, I think, and it's not a full size grocery store. Probably not cheap, either.

You have to go out to the Quarry to get a real grocery store (Cub).
When I say campus I mean all things in vicinity.

Top Bottom