The Big Ten name explained.

RodentRampage

Reaction score
Many people grumble that a conference called the Big Ten has eleven teams. But these people are making an unwarranted assumption, that the "Ten" in Big Ten is a decimal number. The reality must be that the Big Ten is using base 11 instead of base 10. If you convert decimal 11 to base 11, you get 10. :D

Many people grumble that a conference called the Big Ten has eleven teams. But these people are making an unwarranted assumption, that the "Ten" in Big Ten is a decimal number. The reality must be that the Big Ten is using base 11 instead of base 10. If you convert decimal 11 to base 11, you get 10. :D

What?

Wow. I just wasted base 11 seconds of my life on this crap.

Sorry for exposing you to math. I hope it didn't hurt too much.

There's a math joke: "There are 10 kinds of people in the world: this who understand binary, and those who don't". That's because 10 in binary = 2 in decimal.

We commonly use one of an infinite number of possible numerical bases: decimal, otherwise known as base 10. There are other bases, such as octal (base 8) and hexadecimal (base 16). 10 in octal = 8 in decimal, and 10 in hexadecimal = 16 in decimal.

Likewise, in undecimal (base 11), 10 = 11 in decimal. So, there would be no discrepancy between the name "Big Ten" and the number of teams if the "Ten" referred to a base 11 number.

And no, I am not seriously suggesting that the Big Ten uses base 11.

Wow.
I was not expecting a Base 11 joke today.
Or ever, for that matter.
Nicely done. =)

Sorry for exposing you to math. I hope it didn't hurt too much.

There's a math joke: "There are 10 kinds of people in the world: this who understand binary, and those who don't". That's because 10 in binary = 2 in decimal.

We commonly use one of an infinite number of possible numerical bases: decimal, otherwise known as base 10. There are other bases, such as octal (base 8) and hexadecimal (base 16). 10 in octal = 8 in decimal, and 10 in hexadecimal = 16 in decimal.

Likewise, in undecimal (base 11), 10 = 11 in decimal. So, there would be no discrepancy between the name "Big Ten" and the number of teams if the "Ten" referred to a base 11 number.

And no, I am not seriously suggesting that the Big Ten uses base 11.

I have my degree...I don't need math any more:p

Don't worry, I am sure the other 86,386 seconds of your day will be an equal waste.

All too true for the majority of us logging on to this board...

Nice thread. Didn't think I'd see a math joke when I logged on before work.

Let me say though: has it been a long quiet spring/summer transition in GopherNation of late; about time for a good recruiting coup for us to cluck about or what? Let us hope that some news along that line comes before hex' "nibbles" work there way into our humor.:clap:

Top Bottom