The Barry Alvarez Era is Officially Over

MennoSota

Reaction score
Now that Wisconsin has hired a coach from ohio, the Alvarez Era is over.

What predictions do you all have for the future of Wisconsin football? Will the program slip back to its former inglorious past or will a new era of elite football emerge?

Is it? The current AD is a handpicked Alvarez guy who played for him. I would be shocked if Barry didn't have some sort of say in this decision.

Beilema was a Hawkeye and an outsider until he became the WI DC for two years, then got the HC job. Gary Andersen had zero ties to Wisconsin before he was hired as the HC. Same now with Fickell.

Only Chryst was a former WI alum and spent more than 2 years in WI before becoming the HC. Otherwise 3 of the 4 coaches since Alvarez have all been pretty much outsiders.

Perspective:

From 1964 to 1980, WI had 2 winning seasons and 15 losing seasons.
from '81 to '84, WI had four straight winning seasons under Dave McClain
from '85 to '92, eight consecutive losing seasons.

that makes 6 winning seasons and 23 losing seasons in a 29-year period.

then: from 1993 to the present: WI has had 28 winning seasons, 2 losing seasons and this year's 6-6 record.

I lived in WI from '87 to '92 - three years of Don Morton and the first two years of Barry. People were very apathetic about the program. Alvarez changed that, with help from the administration, and set WI on what has been a very successful path for the last 30 years.

Is it? The current AD is a handpicked Alvarez guy who played for him. I would be shocked if Barry didn't have some sort of say in this decision.
Don't know if it's true or an attempt to insulate himself from the decisions, but wisconsin media reports have indicated that Barry only found out about both the Chryst firing and the Fickell hiring after they were done deals. Also, surprisingly, he claims not to have spoken to Chryst since he was let go.

I lived in WI from '87 to '92 - three years of Don Morton and the first two years of Barry. People were very apathetic about the program. Alvarez changed that, with help from the administration, and set WI on what has been a very successful path for the last 30 years.
Yep, only curses to Donna Shalala...

Generally speaking, what is the success rate of newly hired coaches? Obviously, the definition of "success" varies in who you ask, but for the sake of arguments sake, let's say a stepped improvement over the previous regime. The success rate has to be sub-50%, doesn't it? Maybe 40%, with "blue bloods" probably having slightly higher success rates, based purely on their ability to shell out money for the "best" candidates. I'm just throwing completely baseless numbers out, but the point being that while many hires look like winners on paper, they ultimately don't pan out.

Fickell is certainly a different approach from what WI has done for the past 30-ish years. It has the possibility of being a Brewster-like hire, where the style doesn't match the available personnel or conference playing styles. It also has the possibility to be "different" and make teams in the B1G struggle to play against a different style. Purdue and Jeff Brohm are really the outliers in the conference as far as style/scheme goes, and they've certainly had more downs than ups during his tenure.

That's a very long-winded way of saying that I think the ceiling may be higher than hiring Jim, but the floor is very likely lower as well. As a Gopher fan, here's hoping it doesn't pan out.

Alvarez seems to be the opposite of Ferentz. He understands when change is needed.

Is anyone here familiar with Fickell? More specifically, I'm wondering what type of offense he runs.

I would characterize the Alvarez philosophy as an offense built on stud offensive lineman blocking for power backs. I wonder if Fickell will depart from that.

Purdue and Jeff Brohm are really the outliers in the conference as far as style/scheme goes, and they've certainly had more downs than ups during his tenure.
This. Pretty interesting comparison, though it's not much of a comparison of Western Kentucky to Cincinnati.

Is anyone here familiar with Fickell? More specifically, I'm wondering what type of offense he runs.

I would characterize the Alvarez philosophy as an offense built on stud offensive lineman blocking for power backs. I wonder if Fickell will depart from that.
Well, they don't call it "Tressel-ball" for nothing ...

Oh, yeah... I should have realized that. I forgot Fickell was a Tressel disciple.

Well, that answers that question!
Was a DL at Ohio St and then worked up to co-DC under Tressel from 2005-2010. Interim in 2011, went about like Leonhard taking over for Chryst this year, but then he stayed on as co-DC again under Urban Meyer 2012-2016.

Obviously he's a defensive guy. But no idea if some of Meyer offensive ideas rubbed off?

Was a DL at Ohio St and then worked up to co-DC under Tressel from 2005-2010. Interim in 2011, went about like Leonhard taking over for Chryst this year, but then he stayed on as co-DC again under Urban Meyer 2012-2016.

Obviously he's a defensive guy. But no idea if some of Meyer offensive ideas rubbed off?
They threw the ball about 8 more times a game than WI did this year.

I have to admit I'm eager to see how this all works out in Madison. Many seem to view this as a home run hire.

We‘ve seen the ceiling for Bucky over the last 20+ years. Do we know with any certainty what type of offense or defense Fickell will adopt? Some coaches change…That said, to me this looks like a high risk, low reward culture change scenario versus staying with fan favorite Wisconsinite and DC Leonhard and their familiar calling card defensive and offensive schemes. It’s not like Wisconsin had fallen off a cliff. They’ve had a few down years, were Mertzed, and maybe had some other misses.

The really interesting thing to watch in regards to Fickell will be what happens the next time the Ohio State job comes open.

Same can be said in regards to Bielema with Iowa. You have two coaches in the Big Ten who have dream jobs also in the Big Ten.

Did anyone here watch any of UC's games, excepting the Final Four game with AL?
I grew up in Northern KY, attended college in Cincinnati so I had an interest in how UC became a national power. So I watched many of their games
Feckell ran a balanced offense with a QB who could also run.
He sent a number of 3* players to the NFL and his players graduated.

Fickell is more of the same. They'll have a great defense and a mediocre offense. If they're lucky they'll get back to the level of the dude they just fired.

Fickell is more of the same. They'll have a great defense and a mediocre offense. If they're lucky they'll get back to the level of the dude they just fired.
Fickell is totally different
His Cincinnati teams don’t get under center
They run a 4-2-5 rather than a 3-4

They’ll either take a step forward or back: haven’t missed a bowl in 20 years or so.

They’ll either take a step forward or back: haven’t missed a bowl in 20 years or so.
Nebraska and Wisconsin will both be interesting to watch next year in year one under new coaches. Will those coaches go the Tucker route and bring in a ton of transfers or will they go with the slower build and focus on young players?

Nebraska and Wisconsin will both be interesting to watch next year in year one under new coaches. Will those coaches go the Tucker route and bring in a ton of transfers or will they go with the slower build and focus on young players?
I think both go the latter. Neither take short cuts.
Both are hires better than I think the gophers could have made this year. Neither are guaranteed to succeed.

I do like the Rhule hire at Nebraska better. Playing sound defense at Nebraska will get them back to a place they haven’t been in a while. Beating teams they should beat….

Like just beat northwestern and 6-6 Georgia southern by playing sound defense and they’re bowling this year

Wisconsin already does that. A higher standard to be considered success

Now that Wisconsin has hired a coach from ohio, the Alvarez Era is over.

What predictions do you all have for the future of Wisconsin football? Will the program slip back to its former inglorious past or will a new era of elite football emerge?
It's been many years since I have posted, but I am a Minnesota alum who has lived in Cincinnati for 30+ and have been a season ticket holder for Minnesota football for 35 years....STILL. I have 2 sons that played and still play football at St Xavier High School. My boys are big Minnesota Gopher fans and attend the University of Cincinnati. They are definitely not happy about Fickell leaving UC. Fickell is a home run for Wisconsin. He definitely will require PJ to raise the bar across the board. He is extremely well connected and will recruit nationally. He is a players coach. While there may be a 'slight dip' next year. There is no downside for Wisconsin on this hire. We have our work cut out for us with this hire, the Nebraska hire, and the coming of UCLA and Southern Cal.

But will Fickell blow up the decades of Wisconsin being committed to the 30 front defense??

You say so, but I will have to see it first.

But will Fickell blow up the decades of Wisconsin being committed to the 30 front defense??

You say so, but I will have to see it first.
If Fickell comes in and coaches a defense he has never run before, it’s a terrible hire.
So I hope they keep it!

If Fickell comes in and coaches a defense he has never run before, it’s a terrible hire.
So I hope they keep it!
His Cincy DC will stay at Cincy to become head coach.

His new DC: Leonhard.

It's what Fickell himself did!

(I have no idea if any of this is true, just throwing it against the wall)

Fickell runs a different type of defense than Leonard
It would be like the army coach going to a new place and keeping a spread OC

What’s the point in hiring the army coach if you aren’t going to run triple?

Fickell runs a different type of defense than Leonard
It would be like the army coach going to a new place and keeping a spread OC

What’s the point in hiring the army coach if you aren’t going to run triple?
Because there's more to hiring a college football head coach than what type of scheme he prefers?

The players they have in place know and run the 3-4 very, very well. It's an advantage for them.

If Fickell brings his DC with him from Cincy, then you're going to be right. They'll switch. We'll see

Top Bottom