The barometer of where this program is at...

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
...will be the November 2 game @ Indiana.

Why?
-Both programs have been the bottom feeders (with some exceptions) of the B10 since 1968.
-Both programs hired new coaching staffs in 2011.

This will be a good indcator of which program is "going in the right direction" more quickly albeit it is a home game for the Hoosiers.

This Wilson guy is no joke when it comes to developing a productive/borderline explosive offense as last seaon he put up the following point totals during conference play:

NW - 29
MSU - 27
OSU -49
IL - 31
IA - 24
WI - 14
PSU - 22
Purdue - 35

That's 29 a game...certainly their defense has had it challenges...regardless, it should be a good battle of two teams seeking respect

This will be a good indcator of which program is "going in the right direction"

by Nov the genie will be out of the bottle. simply put - watch for penalties in the 1st 3 games...if it is bad then brace yerself.

This will be a good indcator of which program is "going in the right direction"

by Nov the genie will be out of the bottle. simply put - watch for penalties in the 1st 3 games...if it is bad then brace yerself.

Oh sure, we'll already have a good indication however from a big picture standpoint - Gophs need to win @ Indiana or the "we can't even beat Indiana" apathy may set in

I'm not saying I completely disagree with all these statements, but the Indiana game scares me. They seem to be building a pretty explosive offense and if we're constructed basically the way we were last year I don't like our chances of being able to take advantage of a poor defense and score with the Hoosiers. But, like was said earlier, we'll know a lot more when we get to this game. If Indiana takes a step back and truly cannot stop anybody and if we look more efficient on offense, then I think we should win the game. But, let's say Indiana is playing very well and has beaten some solid teams, then I don't think we need to put our collective progress-eggs all in this one basket.

we beat indiana 38-31. unless our offensive progression we saw in the bowl was a fluke or injuries take place, we should run all over them. not real confident in defensive stops happening frequently for either side.

Ok, I know we're not supposed to crawl in the statistics hole, but...

Indiana 34th in TOff, 17th in passing.
Minnesota 33rd in TDef, 23rd against passing.
Indiana 104th in TDef, 116th against the rush.

We rush the ball 50 times and Indiana's offense gets on the field 8-10 times, Gophers win going away.

It's a long ways away.

Would be cool if we get a prime time slot for this matchup of titans of the gridiron.

I have this memory of a season (can't remember when) where the Gophs were on a good roll, and if I remember correctly, were coming off a big win. Then, they played Indiana, and completely laid an egg. I was at a HS playoff game on a Saturday afternoon, and every time we got a score update, the Gophs were further behind.

The moral of the story - no game is an easy game, and no win is guaranteed when you're talking about the Gophers.

It may be a cliche, but you really do have to take it one game at a time, especially with a young team.

Well coming off the win against Nebraska at home to put us at 7-1, I guess wouldn't be surprised to see a letdown here :)

I have this memory of a season (can't remember when) where the Gophs were on a good roll, and if I remember correctly, were coming off a big win. Then, they played Indiana, and completely laid an egg. I was at a HS playoff game on a Saturday afternoon, and every time we got a score update, the Gophs were further behind.

The moral of the story - no game is an easy game, and no win is guaranteed when you're talking about the Gophers.

It may be a cliche, but you really do have to take it one game at a time, especially with a young team.

There was 2000, when we were coming off three straight wins, including @ OSU the last week, before losing to Indiana, giving up 51 to a team that eventually won 3 games that year. Horrible loss. I think we dropped another bad one in '04 as well.

Top Bottom