The Barn atmosphere

But the airball layup ended that.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened on that one. I think it was a combination of Coleman being gassed from 2 steals in a row...that and he was expecting the 2nd dunk to be contested, but the NW defenders yielded at the last second and probably screwed up Coleman's timing.

Yesterday's 'announced attendance' was 12,219.

How was the atmosphere?

Thanks in advance.

I would have guessed more than that. The answer is that it was mediocre. But when the opponent is a bunch of pylons, it won't be the best of the year. It's when the fans are urging a comeback or the game is close. Also - again - the student section was far from full.

The last game that the crowd was roaring at tipoff was Joel Pryzbilla's last game. Nothing has come close since.

Yesterday's game quickly slipped into Mt. St. Mary's territory. Felt a bit guilty getting too excited.

January of 1968 Houston Astrodome had a crowd of 53,000 people to watch the Big E against the Power Memorial star Lew Alcindor with John Wooden's UCLA!!

I would have guessed more than that. The answer is that it was mediocre. But when the opponent is a bunch of pylons, it won't be the best of the year. It's when the fans are urging a comeback or the game is close. Also - again - the student section was far from full.

The last game that the crowd was roaring at tipoff was Joel Pryzbilla's last game. Nothing has come close since.

I was a student at the U from 2006-2010, and have kept tickets since I graduated. It has been very disappointing this year from the Student section so far, but I think a lot of that has to do with how horribly last season ended after the Al Nolen injury, and student's anticipating (incorrectly) a similar plummet this year after Mbakwe went down. Also, the two games that should have been more rowdy, Iowa and Purdue, were during Christmas break, so a lot of students were not around. I wouldn't say Northwestern is typically a great draw to begin with, plus with NFL Conference championships going on, I can understand the students not showing up in full force. I would expect this Saturday game against Illinois to be a great game, especially if the Gophers can figure out a way to come out of Michigan State with a win on Wednesday. Students will show up and get rowdy for our first decent Big Ten game, plus we'll be searching for some revenge of the 2OT game to start the season.

Overall, the student section needs to show its support more through thick and thin, but when it gets rocking in there, there isn't a better place to watch a game. I remember our first big game against Indiana in 2007 when they had Eric Gordon and DJ White and were ranked. I've never seen it that rowdy, and you could feel the noise in your bones from start to finish. If the Gophs keep it up this year, I really think it will turn around this year, and the students will give a huge home court advantage.

mryan1125 said:
I was a student at the U from 2006-2010, and have kept tickets since I graduated. It has been very disappointing this year from the Student section so far, but I think a lot of that has to do with how horribly last season ended after the Al Nolen injury, and student's anticipating (incorrectly) a similar plummet this year after Mbakwe went down. Also, the two games that should have been more rowdy, Iowa and Purdue, were during Christmas break, so a lot of students were not around. I wouldn't say Northwestern is typically a great draw to begin with, plus with NFL Conference championships going on, I can understand the students not showing up in full force. I would expect this Saturday game against Illinois to be a great game, especially if the Gophers can figure out a way to come out of Michigan State with a win on Wednesday. Students will show up and get rowdy for our first decent Big Ten game, plus we'll be searching for some revenge of the 2OT game to start the season.

Overall, the student section needs to show its support more through thick and thin, but when it gets rocking in there, there isn't a better place to watch a game. I remember our first big game against Indiana in 2007 when they had Eric Gordon and DJ White and were ranked. I've never seen it that rowdy, and you could feel the noise in your bones from start to finish. If the Gophs keep it up this year, I really think it will turn around this year, and the students will give a huge home court advantage.

My biggest issue with the student section is the lack of creativity lately. The F Bo Ryan chant was okay, but got REALLY old and stupid when it happened every single game.

Gotta step up our chants. Still a huge fan of Duke's "You Let the whole team down"

Lets give the band a little attention.

Nothing whips the crowd into a frenzy like "Hey Baby!"

My biggest issue with the student section is the lack of creativity lately. The F Bo Ryan chant was okay, but got REALLY old and stupid when it happened every single game.

Gotta step up our chants. Still a huge fan of Duke's "You Let the whole team down"

For that to happen who ever is allegedly running the barn yard would have to do some work. The Cameron Crazies are ridiculously organized in everything from preparing for opponents to providing their own security, ushers, self-policing of inappropriate chanting, etc.

I think the student section appears a lot rowdier and noisier when you are sitting in the middle of it than when you are observing it from more than a section away...regardless of the season.

For that to happen who ever is allegedly running the barn yard would have to do some work. The Cameron Crazies are ridiculously organized in everything from preparing for opponents to providing their own security, ushers, self-policing of inappropriate chanting, etc.

Exactly. The lack of organization in our student section is not always the best. There should be chants/comments prepared for each player, IMO. Not anything mean really, but making fun of them some how. While not a humerous matter, I did like Illinois' fans pretending to be driving a car when the MSU player with the DWI was in the game - can't remember who it was anymore. The barnyard did well when Anthony Tucker was at the line chanting "One More Beer" and "Who likes drinking? He likes drinking!" or even the chants about Trevor "Facebook Stalker"

It is things like that that can set you apart from other student sections and makes the games more fun. I don't like wishing injury like MSU did with Hummel though. Injuries and family comments kind of cross the line.

The lack of any ties into the student section on Sunday was particularly troubling

I'd appreciate a "Whiny Weber" chant on Saturday.

How about hanging around to watch the players sing the Rouser? It's embarrassing how quickly the students clear out after a game. Win or lose, ya'll should stay until they are done. Not debatable and illustrates the larger problem.

How about hanging around to watch the players sing the Rouser? It's embarrassing how quickly the students clear out after a game. Win or lose, ya'll should stay until they are done. Not debatable and illustrates the larger problem.

I graduated last year, but when I do sit in the student section now and when I did last prior years. Always make a point to stay the whole game and definitley be there for the rouser. No matter what the score is. It is a pretty small crowd that does though.

I graduated last year, but when I do sit in the student section now and when I did last prior years. Always make a point to stay the whole game and definitley be there for the rouser. No matter what the score is. It is a pretty small crowd that does though.

Kudos. Get your buddies to stay too. BTW, the core students seem really great. Love the front row. Rewatched the game from Saturday and the front several rows looked awesome, especially the goofy outfits. Plays awesome on TV. (Go back 20 rows and it's not so good though.)

Stop bashing the student section. Why is it that the only thing that will get the rest of the crowd off of their fat butts is the chance of catching a cheap made-in-China minibasketball? Pathetic... Most of them don't even participate in the rouser, and if they do it's done without a lot of enthusiasm.

Stop bashing the student section. Why is it that the only thing that will get the rest of the crowd off of their fat butts is the chance of catching a cheap made-in-China minibasketball? Pathetic... Most of them don't even participate in the rouser, and if they do it's done without a lot of enthusiasm.

Being better than the older crowd is nothing to be proud of. If we can be better than the Cameron Crazies, the Orange Crush, The Izzone, etc. then I'd say it is time to start sticking the chest out a little. But being more enthusiastic than 60 and 70 year olds when in your late teens and twenties should not be the bar. If that is the only goal, well just by showing up that has been accomplished.

I Miss D.J. said:
I'm 50 years old.

Still doesn't change my point. I am glad you are older and expect more from those around you. But our student section, while they are the most excited group in the barn, also has room to improve.

This is a thread about the atmosphere in the Barn. Do you think that it looks good when the students have all cleared out, except for one row, before they are done singing the Rouser? Do you? And that's after a 23 point win. Sorry, but if I was a player, I would want to stop doing it.

Your points are valid too.

Nope. It doesn't look good at all. My son and I always stay for the post-game rouser, win or lose.

I actually berated a bunch of fans who (some students, mainly others) who were leaving with around two minutes left yesterday. I yelled, "what kind of fans are you?!" And one guy sheepishly replied, "fair-weather fans."

Top Bottom