The Athletic: Ranking Big Ten football transfer portal (10. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Scott:

10. Minnesota

The Gophers begin a new era at quarterback with Max Brosmer, who was the AFCA first-team FCS All-American at New Hampshire. He threw for 3,464 yards and 29 touchdowns while completing 64 percent last year. He also rushed for five touchdowns.

The Gophers opted for small-school additions with former Division II receiver Jaylen Varnerfrom Emporia (Kan.) State, who caught 90 passes for 1,008 yards and 12 scores, along with Bucknell cornerback Ethan Robinson (50 tackles, three interceptions). Minnesota also will pair former Ohio running back Sieh Bangura (811 yards) with ultratalented freshman holdover Darius Taylor.

Go Gophers!!

Just being in the Big Ten is a win. Maybe the Gophers don't beat some of these elite teams but they do play them again and again in the spotlight -- and get paid richly for it. Live in the middle is the gravy boat. Get on a plane and see the UCLA game.

Just being in the Big Ten is a win. Maybe the Gophers don't beat some of these elite teams but they do play them again and again in the spotlight -- and get paid richly for it. Live in the middle is the gravy boat. Get on a plane and see the UCLA game.
This is how I feel too. Get a foothold in the new Big Ten and see if we can climb with the added attention and any future NIL deals that materialize.

I guess it’s a win for those making money off it. Doesn’t help us win anything other than the even fewer number of non conf games we get.

Pretty solid transfer class this year especially considering we didn’t lose too much.

Interesting to see how much Northwestern is affected by being on the quarter system and their academic standards. They basically have to wait until the spring portal window to get any players.

This is how I feel too. Get a foothold in the new Big Ten and see if we can climb with the added attention and any future NIL deals that materialize.
See new places and teams and hopefully set a floor of a bowl game every year. Maybe even storm the field a couple times.

with transfers, a lot of the time they are being brought in to fill a specific need. so the question becomes - how well did each team fill its needs through the portal?

I could argue that the Gophers had a huge need with QB, and bringing in Brosmer - even if he is coming from FCS - is potentially a major improvement.

it's not just a question of bringing in talent - it's a question of how well that talent meets the team's needs.

Interesting to see how much Northwestern is affected by being on the quarter system and their academic standards. They basically have to wait until the spring portal window to get any players.
Given that Oregon is on a quarter system, I'm curious how you think this impacts portal transfers.

Pretty solid transfer class this year especially considering we didn’t lose too much.
Still have the spring, we make it through that and we can say we didn’t lose much. But I agree it seems many key players will be back based upon DTA agreements.

The chart in the story shows us with 10 going out and 9 coming in so wonder what list they are working off of since we only have 7 coming in that I am aware of.

Probably a little early for this piece since there will be another portal window/feeding frenzy around spring ball. But guess they can just release and updated piece at that point.

Regardless of where we are ranked to me the 2024 portal class has been a pretty big win when you look at what we are losing compared to what we are bringing in. 2 hardest hit spots with guys going out were QB and RB and it could definitely be argued that we have better guys coming in at both those spots in addition to filling other holes.

Top Bottom