The Athletic: NBA Mock Draft (#28. Cam Christie, Minnesota to Utah)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per The Athletic:

28. Utah Jazz (via Thunder)​

Cam Christie | 6-6 wing | 18 years old | Minnesota​

Like Carrington, Christie is another great candidate to test the draft process and find out exactly where his stock lies. The brother of Lakers’ wing Max Christie, Cam’s style of play is similar, but he has showcased the capacity to do more with the ball in his hands than Max did at this stage.

Cam averaged 11.3 points and 2.2 assists this season versus only 1.2 turnovers. More importantly, he drilled 40.3 percent of his 3-pointers this season while taking more than five per game. Scouts are excited about his potential to be a 3-and-D player with even more ball skills than normal, though it will take Christie time to reach that level.

If Christie stays in this class, he will likely be someone who will need at least a year in the G League to get his body up to speed. But in a down draft year, scouts are enthusiastic about sorting through players like him to see if any could turn into something long-term. The Jazz are on a longer timeline and could afford to be patient.

Go Gophers!!

If he gets feedback that he has a first round grade, he's gone, and should be. Even if he has to spend a year in the G League, he'd be getting guaranteed first round money and likely be able to develop faster in that environment. I wouldn't fault him one bit if he leaves under those circumstances, although it would suck for the program.

One day the coach is reaching out to guards in the portal and the next his star is projected as a first round pick. Coincidence?

Super pumped for him as a person, but I really feel like it's going the Coffey/Oturu route... Coffey making $ but buried on the bench and Oturu is overseas- I have to believe this is not what either had imagined was going to happen... Another year playing college ball would def have helped!! They were SO close to being able to perform on actual big stages and upping their draft value.

HUGE difference between going lottery and going 28th- I don't think 28th is worth it for an 18yo with this talent, shoot a little higher perhaps?

Super pumped for him as a person, but I really feel like it's going the Coffey/Oturu route... Coffey making $ but buried on the bench and Oturu is overseas- I have to believe this is not what either had imagined was going to happen...
Coffey is a regular part of the Clippers rotation making $3.6 mill this season. With another strong season next year, he will be well placed to enter free agency next summer and really cash out at age 28.

It honestly couldn't have worked out much better for Amir. Most people (me included) thought it was a mistake for him to go pro, especially after he went undrafted. But we were all wrong.

Super pumped for him as a person, but I really feel like it's going the Coffey/Oturu route... Coffey making $ but buried on the bench and Oturu is overseas- I have to believe this is not what either had imagined was going to happen... Another year playing college ball would def have helped!! They were SO close to being able to perform on actual big stages and upping their draft value.

HUGE difference between going lottery and going 28th- I don't think 28th is worth it for an 18yo with this talent, shoot a little higher perhaps?
Have you looked at a Clipper's box score recently?

There's no guarantee Christile will go the lottery if he sticks around for another year. If you can be a guaranteed multi-millionaire, you take it every time.

There's no guarantee Christile will go the lottery if he sticks around for another year. If you can be a guaranteed multi-millionaire, you take it every time.
scouts get a longer look at you.....you can lose that draft stock really quick. You have a chance to go first round, you take it

One person’s mick draft is hardly any kind of guarantee: all you have to do is watch the NFL draft and see how often the mocks font get it right. Very few things in life are guaranteed. In my experience.

I don't understand the NBA's philosophy....Christie is know where near ready, as evidenced by his last handful of games where he disappears for long stretches of the game. He looks really uncomfortable handling the ball under pressure and needs to get much stronger. Can he do this better in the G-league? Maybe so. If he really gets some assurance that he's going anywhere in round 1, he's gone. The guaranteed money is too hard for any 18-19 year old to pass up.

I follow/root for Coffey as a Gopher fan for sure, but he plays typically only if PG/Kawhi/Russ/Mann can't play- specifically has been stuck behind Mann.

Am I the only one here that actually thinks Cam is better than "I hope I get to the league and make a little money?"

If he was 21yo and just now making a draft board then yeah get going... But leaving after 1yr so that he can cash out in 10 yrs as he's leaving his prime CAN'T be the goal for someone with confidence in themselves

Absurd to look down on anyone for turning down any combo of NBA or millions... But if he gambles on himself and wins: he's a high(er) draft pick making way more than 3.8 million earlier in his career. If he loses the gamble, he's got a long career overseas if he wants. That's a gamble I would be willing to take (have to laugh at the thought of me being in that position though)

I follow/root for Coffey as a Gopher fan for sure, but he plays typically only if PG/Kawhi/Russ/Mann can't play- specifically has been stuck behind Mann.

Am I the only one here that actually thinks Cam is better than "I hope I get to the league and make a little money?"

If he was 21yo and just now making a draft board then yeah get going...
he just made this draft board now; he wasn’t in the first two rounds of his previous one and still isn’t listed on others, like nbadraft.net.

This could well be a case of recency bias.
But leaving after 1yr so that he can cash out in 10 yrs as he's leaving his prime CAN'T be the goal for someone with confidence in themselves

Absurd to look down on anyone for turning down any combo of NBA or millions... But if he gambles on himself and wins: he's a high(er) draft pick making way more than 3.8 million earlier in his career. If he loses the gamble, he's got a long career overseas if he wants. That's a gamble I would be willing to take (have to laugh at the thought of me being in that position though)

I don't understand the NBA's philosophy....Christie is know where near ready, as evidenced by his last handful of games where he disappears for long stretches of the game. He looks really uncomfortable handling the ball under pressure and needs to get much stronger. Can he do this better in the G-league? Maybe so. If he really gets some assurance that he's going anywhere in round 1, he's gone. The guaranteed money is too hard for any 18-19 year old to pass up.
Yeah I wonder how closely The Atlantic scouts the games. Do they know that Christie faltered down the stretch...including a zero-point game?

If we make a run in the NIT...I certainly wouldn't mind if it was others who stepped up instead of Christie & Garcia.

If he was 21yo and just now making a draft board then yeah get going... But leaving after 1yr so that he can cash out in 10 yrs as he's leaving his prime CAN'T be the goal for someone with confidence in themselves

Most of us here agree that if Cam can be a first round pick, he should leave and take the money. That isn't hoping you're going to be in the league, it's a guarantee contract with life changing money for his dreams to come true.

It would also let him be a professional basketball and focus solely on his development. The league is full of players drafted in the back half of the 1st round who went on to have great careers, play tons of basketball and make a ton of money. If Cam leaves, that's my hope for him.

I don't think anyone thinks Cam would or should leave if he's a fringe 2nd round prospect.

It's the nature of basketball.

Serviceable players who get minutes as the 8th-9th man off the bench are a dime a dozen. It's the same reason why you can usually buy a late 1st rounder.

It's a league focused on stars so teams are much more likely to draft and invest in people with higher upside. The number of players with high upsides just shrinks with each year they age.

The G League lets you draft guys and develop them off your bench.

If he gets feedback that he has a first round grade, he's gone, and should be. Even if he has to spend a year in the G League, he'd be getting guaranteed first round money and likely be able to develop faster in that environment. I wouldn't fault him one bit if he leaves under those circumstances, although it would suck for the program.
Yeah. But being pick 28 is 3 picks from being second round
I think I would agree with mid first round grade

Yeah. But being pick 28 is 3 picks from being second round
I think I would agree with mid first round grade
It’s still guaranteed millions Brice Sensabaugh was the 28th pick last year and signed a 4 year, $12,576,077 contract with the Jazz, all guaranteed. You don’t turn down that money when you’re 19.

It’s still guaranteed millions Brice Sensabaugh was the 28th pick last year and signed a 4 year, $12,576,077 contract with the Jazz, all guaranteed. You don’t turn down that money when you’re 19.
But if you can move up to the #17 pick, you can increase your salary by 50%.

And if you can move up to the #11 pick, you can increase your salary by 2.5 times.

If it’s guaranteed first round it’s a lot different than late first early second eval

One person’s mick draft is hardly any kind of guarantee: all you have to do is watch the NFL draft and see how often the mocks font get it right. Very few things in life are guaranteed. In my experience.

You realize there is an entire draft process where scouts get feedback—right?

Top Bottom