The Athletic: First Look: Projecting Minnesota’s 2020 offensive depth chart

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Matt:

Minnesota ended its renaissance season on a high note, posting a season-best 494 yards against Auburn in a 31-24 upset win in the Outback Bowl. The No. 10 Golden Gophers finished with their highest AP ranking to end a season since they were 10th at the end of 1962.

The good news? Almost all of the key offensive players from the Golden Gophers’ 11-2 campaign are expected back for 2020. The bad news? Play-caller Kirk Ciarrocca is not, as the offensive coordinator took the same job at Penn State. He will be replaced by Mike Sanford, along with receivers coach Matt Simon, who called the plays in the bowl game and received a co-OC title after the hiring of Sanford.

Here’s an early look at how Minnesota’s offense projects for 2020.

Go Gophers!!

Come managers, don’t allow any reference to The Athletic as you have to buy a membership in order to read. Any money available should be spent with GH.

Projecting the depth chart or projecting who will start and play the most?

I'd be very surprised if Emilien jumps current players like NAM and Gibson. I'd hate to see talented depth enter the transfer portal.

I'd be very surprised if Emilien jumps current players like NAM and Gibson. I'd hate to see talented depth enter the transfer portal.
Gibson has battled injuries basically his entire time here and Nam probably becomes a TE soon. MBS and Daniel Jackson will probably be the biggest competition for Emilien this season.

Come managers, don’t allow any reference to The Athletic as you have to buy a membership in order to read. Any money available should be spent with GH.

Stupid. Those of us who appreciate quality in-depth writing are glad to contribute to The Athletic

Yeah, it would be terrible to support or patronize one of the best sports sites on the internet when it comes to content and writing and caliber of writers.

Well, I mean Nam and Gibson are equally as unproven and unknown as Emilien so any of them could end up playing. I’d actually be surprised if Gibson played ahead of either.

Gibson has battled injuries basically his entire time here and Nam probably becomes a TE soon. MBS and Daniel Jackson will probably be the biggest competition for Emilien this season.
I don't see NAM being a TE in Fleck's offense. Good info on Gibson that I wasn't aware of.

Holy Cow, 494 yards vs Auburn was pretty incredible. Lets hope Ciarrocca wasn't a unique genius who can't be replaced.

The writer has Guedet backing up Andries at LG and Ruschmeyer backing up Faalele at RT. I believe that those should be swapped as Rusch is a guard and Guedet tackle.

Stupid. Those of us who appreciate quality in-depth writing are glad to contribute to The Athletic
Except the Defensive article has Howard as a DB and he transferred a couple weeks ago.

Except the Defensive article has Howard as a DB and he transferred a couple weeks ago.

Where did Howard transfer? I didn't see that announced. I saw he entered the portal, but that's quite different from actually transferring.

Also the writer is a national college football writer. So its understandable that flew under the radar for him. Regardless, it doesn't change the quality and depth of the overall writing on The Athletic.

I don't see NAM being a TE in Fleck's offense. Good info on Gibson that I wasn't aware of.

NAM is a large man. I don't know where he'll end up, but as a true FR he was the size of Carter Coughlin and Kamal Martin (not combined). I wouldn't even be shocked if he ends up at DE.

TE makes a lot of sense for him, even in a blocking scheme.

Where did Howard transfer? I didn't see that announced. I saw he entered the portal, but that's quite different from actually transferring.

Also the writer is a national college football writer. So its understandable that flew under the radar for him. Regardless, it doesn't change the quality and depth of the overall writing on The Athletic.
It is and it isn't different. Once he enters the portal he doesn't just get to change his mind and come back. Minnesota would have to choose to let him come back and can choose whether or not to put him on scholarship. Essentially, he'd be transferring back to MN, though I don't think it would count like an external would toward the 25.

Top Bottom