The Athletic: First Look: Projecting Minnesota’s 2020 defense and special teams depth charts

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Matt:

For as much as Minnesota returns on offense, the Golden Gophers will have some bigger holes to fill on defense in 2020. They lose six starters from that side of the ball, including four players who earned All-Big Ten honors last season. They also have on new assistant coach, as defensive line coach Chad Wilt comes over from Cincinnati to replace Jim Panagos, who left for Rutgers.

This unit finished 10th nationally in total defense in 2019, mirroring the team’s No. 10 finish in the AP poll, and 27th in yards per play allowed. Here’s an early look at how Minnesota’s defense and special teams units project for 2020.

Go Gophers!!

per Matt:

For as much as Minnesota returns on offense, the Golden Gophers will have some bigger holes to fill on defense in 2020. They lose six starters from that side of the ball, including four players who earned All-Big Ten honors last season. They also have on new assistant coach, as defensive line coach Chad Wilt comes over from Cincinnati to replace Jim Panagos, who left for Rutgers.

This unit finished 10th nationally in total defense in 2019, mirroring the team’s No. 10 finish in the AP poll, and 27th in yards per play allowed. Here’s an early look at how Minnesota’s defense and special teams units project for 2020.

Go Gophers!!

So, given that "everyone knew it would be seven guys leaving", how is it that they figure six are leaving?

So, given that "everyone knew it would be seven guys leaving", how is it that they figure six are leaving?
Either it's an error or I assume he's counting Schad as a returning starter in place of Renner

6 seniors graduated, everyone knew 6 was leaving and most speculated Winfield would most likely depart as well.

Quit acting like you had a unique take that no one else saw coming.

The argument from people was we weren't as screwed as you talked about since we rotated so many players and there were plenty of players returning that will step up and expected development of young guys.

6 seniors graduated, everyone knew 6 was leaving and most speculated Winfield would most likely depart as well.

Quit acting like you had a unique take that no one else saw coming.

The argument from people was we weren't as screwed as you talked about since we rotated so many players and there were plenty of players returning that will step up and expected development of young guys.

Funny, I don't recall writing that we were "screwed". Perhaps you could quote me where I did? I do recall writing that in September our D might very well be down a step or two until the new starters get up to speed, assuming they would. Nor do I recall where I wrote that my point of view on this matter was "unique" to me. Perhaps you would be kind enough to quote where I did. Indeed, ever since I posted about the D being weaker to start the season, many others in the media and on this board have posted the same intelligent thought. As to the 6 or 7, wasn't that a question I just asked as to the article in The Athletic which I can not read and not really a threat to your manhood as you seem to be pretending? Or do I need your permission to post at all on anything? Just wondering. Perhaps a proctologist could help you with your problem? Perhaps not, if it is congenital to your nature.

10th Nationally in total defense? Who knew? Offense was talked about and rightfully so, but the defense had an enormous season.

The success of the defense is kind of odd in some ways. The only really eye popping individual stat on defense is Winfield's 7 INT. We don't have anyone with huge tackle numbers, or a ton of sacks. Winfield led the team but was just 18th in the conference in tackles on the year. What this says is that individually we didn't have a lot of star power but they played amazingly as a group. Probably due in large part to being very senior led.

Also speaks to the reason many of us are not terrified of what we are losing on defense. We rotated a ton this year and got positive contributions from a lot of different guys. We lose a lot of experience but we bring back a lot of now upperclassmen with a significant amount of experience as well.

One thing that really helped our total defense number was our dominance in time of possession. When you look at the stats there is not a ton of separation in that total defense number. If your opponent is getting fewer possessions each game because the offense is being stingy with the ball it is going to help keep your total defense number low. Combine TOP dominance with the ability we have shown to limit big plays since Rossi took over and you have the recipe for a really strong defense even without a bunch of star power beyond Winfield.

Funny, I don't recall writing that we were "screwed". Perhaps you could quote me where I did? I do recall writing that in September our D might very well be down a step or two until the new starters get up to speed, assuming they would. Nor do I recall where I wrote that my point of view on this matter was "unique" to me. Perhaps you would be kind enough to quote where I did. Indeed, ever since I posted about the D being weaker to start the season, many others in the media and on this board have posted the same intelligent thought. As to the 6 or 7, wasn't that a question I just asked as to the article in The Athletic which I can not read and not really a threat to your manhood as you seem to be pretending? Or do I need your permission to post at all on anything? Just wondering. Perhaps a proctologist could help you with your problem? Perhaps not, if it is congenital to your nature.

You understand that is how many people interpret your posts? I obviously am not quoting you verbatim.

But for example, your first post. Why use "". You were clearly being snarky

Or this post patting yourself on the back starting thread saying by golly 7 did leave

Who could have forseen that? Or, more exactly to our case, who could not have seen that happening??

Or this post with you saying people argued only six would leave (which was never the case, but odd for someone who always claims they're misrepresented to misrepresent other arguments)

BS, it has been argued on this site, this fall, that only six would leave and even more importantly that their leaving will be either only a small problem or, sillier yet, that it is likely we will be even better on D with the new guys. Just read some of the posts in this thread. IMHO our program is not in any position at all to just assume that "next man up" means things will be better even in September. I, for one, will be delighted and totally surpized if that proves to be true.

Here you are again, patting yourself on the back for "predicting" 7 starters would leave. Considering 6 was 100% going to happen and the only question was Winfield which most agreed would but considered possibility of returning for one more year. Again, by saying "I predicted" you're being a pompous ass that is acting like you had a unique take. The only ?? was Winfield, and there was not one poster here saying he was 100% coming back, no chance he leaves early.

9-3 I predicted due to the number of quality players coming back, the very small number of starters debarting and how those guys had performed so well in last month of the previous season. This coming year I have clearly and sensibly predicted that given that many, many guys (seven out of eleven was my prediction) on our D are not coming back that we might get off to a slower start on D in the early games of the year. Nothing alarming except to those without experience with losing that many starters. I thought the OP was entirely correct in his openning comments.

And here you are again saying we're going to step back (you' later changed your tune and said we'd start slower and proceeded to act like everyone mischaracterized your argument)

We are losing seven starters on D and they played the most minutes precisely because they were the best, most ready guys we had. The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able. So, IMHO, we will have several games, at least, where the D will be short of where we were this year. I hope I am wrong, but my experience is that you do not replace seven starters without taking a step backwards unless you have a mighty stable of high school All Americans waiting on the bench like Ohio State has.

The argument against you has been:

Winfield might stay. Which you turned into, people are predicting Winfield will be back. (again, this is rich from a guy who consistently complains about people not reading his argument correctly)

And

Many of Young guys we're expecting to take a jump, as is norm with good college programs (which many here want to believe we're becoming again). Martin/Coughlin/Winfield will be the hardest to replace. It's certainly possible with another camp/growth we could actually see upgrade from 4 returning starters and replacements to offset those loses. It's fair of you to be skeptical of said claim, but as has been pointed out to you (which you've dismissed) teams would be some sort of talent entropy and we'd be doomed because each future player is worse than the guy they're replacing since they couldn't repalce an upper classman as an underclassman.

(see this specific statement: The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able)

So I say again, and will respond to you every god damn time you snarkly pat yourself on the back as if your take of 7 players leaving (6 via graduation) was something no one else saw coming. Most of us figured it was the likely scenario and are banking on young guys to step up.

It's also why some of us (me included) always make fun of people who predict Wi will be in their demise because they've lost "X" player(s). Wisconsin is Wisconsin because when X leaves, another guy steps right in. Sure, I can see people not giving MN that benefit of the doubt, as we still have to prove it, but there are fans, and fans by nature are optimistic homers, who are optimistic we're in develop/replace stage of program, not that we struck gold with renner/coughlin/martin/barber/winfield etc and will never be able to duplicate the success because of their loss

You can disagree with that. You can be skeptical of that. That is all fair, it's a message board. But that has been the argument, not that we wouldn't lose 7 starters and you're only thinking that.

To whom it may concern - what is the point of linking to a pay site article that most of the people on this board cannot read?

If you're going to refer to a pay site article - and you have a subscription to that site - at least post a short summary of the article.

To whom it may concern - what is the point of linking to a pay site article that most of the people on this board cannot read?

If you're going to refer to a pay site article - and you have a subscription to that site - at least post a short summary of the article.
The athletic allows for something like 3 free articles a month through their mobile app, it works just fine for this instance.

You understand that is how many people interpret your posts? I obviously am not quoting you verbatim.

Or this post patting yourself on the back starting thread saying by golly 7 did leave

Or this post with you saying people argued only six would leave (which was never the case, but odd for someone who always claims they're misrepresented to misrepresent other arguments)

Here you are again, patting yourself on the back for "predicting" 7 starters would leave. Considering 6 was 100% going to happen and the only question was Winfield which most agreed would but considered possibility of returning for one more year. Again, by saying "I predicted" you're being a pompous ass that is acting like you had a unique take. The only ?? was Winfield, and there was not one poster here saying he was 100% coming back, no chance he leaves early.

And here you are again saying we're going to step back (you' later changed your tune and said we'd start slower and proceeded to act like everyone mischaracterized your argument)

Winfield might stay. Which you turned into, people are predicting Winfield will be back. (again, this is rich from a guy who consistently complains about people not reading his argument correctly)

And

Many of Young guys we're expecting to take a jump, as is norm with good college programs (which many here want to believe we're becoming again). Martin/Coughlin/Winfield will be the hardest to replace. It's certainly possible with another camp/growth we could actually see upgrade from 4 returning starters and replacements to offset those loses. It's fair of you to be skeptical of said claim, but as has been pointed out to you (which you've dismissed) teams would be some sort of talent entropy and we'd be doomed because each future player is worse than the guy they're replacing since they couldn't repalce an upper classman as an underclassman.

(see this specific statement: The backups were backups for exactly the same reasons: less ready, less able)

So I say again, and will respond to you every god damn time you snarkly pat yourself on the back as if your take of 7 players leaving (6 via graduation) was something no one else saw coming. Most of us figured it was the likely scenario and are banking on young guys to step up.

It's also why some of us (me included) always make fun of people who predict Wi will be in their demise because they've lost "X" player(s). Wisconsin is Wisconsin because when X leaves, another guy steps right in. Sure, I can see people not giving MN that benefit of the doubt, as we still have to prove it, but there are fans, and fans by nature are optimistic homers, who are optimistic we're in develop/replace stage of program, not that we struck gold with renner/coughlin/martin/barber/winfield etc and will never be able to duplicate the success because of their loss

You can disagree with that. You can be skeptical of that. That is all fair, it's a message board. But that has been the argument, not that we wouldn't lose 7 starters and you're only thinking that.

And

Well you certainly have a very high need to be offended by what was always a simple, logical statement that with seven starters leaving on the D we might not get off to good defensive start in the fall. But, that is your need, your obsesion, your fixation. Just try to get your head out of your nether regions when I post something that causes you such great concern. I simple disagreement will surfice.

Well you certainly have a very high need to be offended by what was always a simple, logical statement that with seven starters leaving on the D we might not get off to good defensive start in the fall. But, that is your need, your obsesion, your fixation. Just try to get your head out of your nether regions when I post something that causes you such great concern. I simple disagreement will surfice.

Not offended, or obsessed, or fixated. I don't follow you in every thread and circle back. But when you keep making the same stupid claim over and over, I will call you out over and over. As I've told you before, get over yourself. You're not gods gift to gopher fans

One thing that really helped our total defense number was our dominance in time of possession.

That's what I was thinking too. Minnesota was 5th in the nation in TOP.
Side note...Wisconsin was 1st.

One maybe underrated factor in that top 10 rating is that outside of WI MN didn’t play any top offenses. SP+ rates the MN defense at 30 which is still pretty decent, in that Kill/Claeys era range.

The defense was pretty good at limiting downfield plays. The pass defense was really good for the most part despite a sub-par pass rush most of the year. If I had to rate the factors that helped MN’s rating:

Outstanding, efficient, ball control offense
Good to great secondary play
Relatively weak opponent offenses

There looks like a lot of “impact” players coming into the starting lineup in the front 7 and the cornerbacks are really good. Outside chance 2020 D is better than 2019 IMO.

As to proctologist, none needed.

Overall I'm in pretty good physical health

I can stand for 3+ consecutive hours.

Congratulations, it is not every drunk who can stand that long nor who would brag about obstructing older women while doing so.

Not offended, or obsessed, or fixated. I don't follow you in every thread and circle back. But when you keep making the same stupid claim over and over, I will call you out over and over. As I've told you before, get over yourself. You're not gods gift to gopher fans
That drum has been banged and hammered relentlessly by that poster.

Looking down the depth chart, I'm not sure there are a lot of areas of concern at this point. There will be some different players at LB but the returning talent in the secondary and on the DL will make the job of the LB's a lot easier.

Schad, MDT, Mafe and Otomewo all one year older, stronger, and in the program looks as promising in the front 4 going into a season as the Gophers have had in quite some time.

When Minnesota played the top teams, they struggled defensively.

Penn State had almost 600 yards of offense. Luckily, we got some turnovers.

The first half against Iowa, we did not exist defensively. I think they were still sleep walking from the PSU game.

Wisconsin moved most of the game.

We struggled massively against better teams. This needs to get better to take the next step.

I'm a subscriber but it didn't come up in the featured stories; so thanks, Bleed.

The first half against Iowa, we did not exist defensively. I think they were still sleep walking from the PSU game.

We struggled massively against better teams. This needs to get better to take the next step.
How does our defensive performance in the Auburn game compare to our regular season?

As seven of the starting eleven are not returning there is every reason to be concerned about the D, especially early in the season. But, that is what the coach is paid to do.

As seven of the starting eleven are not returning there is every reason to be concerned about the D, especially early in the season. But, that is what the coach is paid to do.
woah, seven are not returning? was someone aware of this before now?

Penn state had 518 yards. It’s too many, but not “almost 600.” We had 460 against one of the top defenses, and 494 against Auburn. If you look around the country, good offenses usually move the ball against good defenses.

woah, seven are not returning? was someone aware of this before now?

The coaches probably became aware of the possibility of 6 seniors being gone next year at senior day when they were announced. So hopefully they have been playing catchup in grooming the backups for a bigger role next year. I mean they weren't good enough to beat out the senior starters so they are definitely going to really really struggle as they get their first taste of college action.

Then the added shocking blow came when Winfield went pro early. I am sure the coaches were floored by that announcement, never saw that coming. If they would only have listened to Veritas they would have known that 7 guys would not be back next year.....hindsight being 20/20 hopefully they have figured it out now. :)

I thought you were a writer? Support other writers trying to develop a new medium. Crazy that a news guy is complaining about this.

Are you still trying to role play some staid Lutheran Minnesotan that can't believe people would stand for a game now? Or are you back to a teenager in Mommy's basement tugging yourself with your left and typing with your right?

Interesting. So Auburn wasn't better than Iowa or Wisconsin? You know who they played and beat, right?

Silly AF

Honestly, the Athletic is absolutely worth the subscription fee. It's hands down the best sports journalism out there today. I'm excited to see more coverage of the Gophers. Their Twins coverage is fantastic.

Top Bottom