The Athletic: College basketball 7 coaching tiers 2023 (Tier 5: Pitino, Tier 7: Johnson)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the Athletic:

Tier 7
COACHTEAM
Dan EngelstadtMount St. Mary's
Jerod HaaseStanford
Mike HopkinsWashington
Ben Johnson
team-logo-195-50x50.png
Minnesota
Kenny PayneLouisville
Wayne Tinkle
team-logo-246-50x50.png
Oregon State

Go Gophers!!

Out of curiosity, which tiers are the others (TJ Otzelberger, Micah Shrewsberry, Craig Smith) among my other "Comparable 4" in?

Per the Athletic:

Tier 7
COACHTEAM
Jerod HaaseStanford
Mike HopkinsWashington
Ben Johnson
team-logo-195-50x50.png
Minnesota
Kenny PayneLouisville
Wayne Tinkle
team-logo-246-50x50.png
Oregon State

Go Gophers!!

No one should call BJ a second-rate coach then since technically (according to this article) he's a 7th rate coach.

Per the Athletic:

Tier 7
COACHTEAM
Jerod HaaseStanford
Mike HopkinsWashington
Ben Johnson
team-logo-195-50x50.png
Minnesota
Kenny PayneLouisville
Wayne Tinkle
team-logo-246-50x50.png
Oregon State

Go Gophers!!
Were there tiers below #7?

Kind of interesting to me- like what has Johnson done to be grouped with these guys? Just scanning Wikipedia: Tinkle took Oregon State to the Elite 8 in his 7th season with Oregon State, Hopkins’ record as a head coach is 101-91 (Johnson 22-39)….

Were there tiers below #7?

Kind of interesting to me- like what has Johnson done to be grouped with these guys? Just scanning Wikipedia: Tinkle took Oregon State to the Elite 8 in his 7th season with Oregon State, Hopkins’ record as a head coach is 101-91 (Johnson 22-39)….
It was the bottom tier. It was also described as coaches who will be fired after this season. I think the article mentioned Hopkins was Pac 10 coach of the year his first two seasons at Washington, but he's really struggled lately. Tinkle's Elite 8 for Oregon State was amazing, but the article stated he's won 3 (!) and 11 games the past two seasons.

It was the bottom tier. It was also described as coaches who will be fired after this season. I think the article mentioned Hopkins was Pac 10 coach of the year his first two seasons at Washington, but he's really struggled lately. Tinkle's Elite 8 for Oregon State was amazing, but the article stated he's won 3 (!) and 11 games the past two seasons.
IIRC, Oregon State only got into the NCAA's that year because they won the Pac 12 tournament.

IIRC, Oregon State only got into the NCAA's that year because they won the Pac 12 tournament.
If Ben goes on a deep run in the NCAA and the biggest knock is that we were "only" in the tournament because we earned a spot by winning the BTT, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

If Ben goes on a deep run in the NCAA and the biggest knock is that we were "only" in the tournament because we earned a spot by winning the BTT, I'd take that in a heartbeat.
For sure. It just didn't buy Tinkle as long of a leash as an Elite 8 bid normally would is all I'm saying.

Wayne Tinkle below Ben Johnson? That's absurd. Even if you throw out his 7 seasons at Montana (3 NCAA tournaments) and look just at his time at Oregon State.

For Ben Johnson to match Tinkle's conference winning percentage, he would have to finish this season 14-4 in conference. This isn't because Tinkle is great, it's that people are underestimating how awful it has been here.

More interesting than Richard Pitino in Tier 5 was Niko Medved in Tier 3.(as mentioned)

Also interesting was that the write up of the Tier 7 coaches mentions five of the six by name and has a few comments about each of them. Ben is not even mentioned. One could make the argument that he is therefore the lowest rated of all. That is why I am going to enjoy a surprisingly good season. led by a surprising return of Parker Fox to college basketball relevance.

How many 7th tier coaches got a commitment from a 5-star C from across the country? To add to his 1st recruiting class that played well for freshmen.

Is it Ben's fault that he got bribed away?

Uhhh, Kenny Payne?
Ben was in Cali constantly recruiting Evans...we got updates every step of the way for 2 years. And we finally got his commitment in a big finale announcement.

Then out of nowhere Louisville & Kenny Payne give him $500K and overnight he commits to Louisville.

Is the argument that is being made in this thread in favor of Johnson is that he almost landed a recruit with impressive wingspan? That's grasping at straws.

Top Bottom