The Athletic article on Ben Johnson and the Gophers

Good read. Athletic really puts out quality content. Nothing too ground breaking but some interesting insights into some of the guys they brought in and some good comments from Johnson.

per the link:

So again, we ask: What gives, Minnesota?

“We just have a room full of guys who are appreciative, have no egos and are about the right stuff,” Johnson said in a recent conversation. “We got lucky finding them.”

Lucky is a funny word. On paper, Johnson’s roster is some kind of island of misfit toys from all varieties of places and leagues — low-major guys, mid-major guys, old guys, random guys. It’s a byproduct of necessity. After Johnson was hired to replace Pitino in March, the transfer portal sucked the old roster dry, and Minnesota wasn’t a desirable destination for those more highly-regarded players who were available. So instead, Johnson, a Minneapolis native and Gophers alum, opted to hunt for overlooked pieces wanting a high-major opportunity. He offered a chance to compete in the Big Ten and ample playing time.

What resulted is an entire roster of newcomers, but more specifically, a top seven that’s carrying the Gophers to unexpected success and includes only one returning player — 23-year-old graduate student Eric Curry, who began his college career in 2016-17. This year, Minnesota ranks second nationally in minutes played by starters and 19th nationally in years of college experience.

In other words, a tight rotation of veteran players.

Go Gophers!!

I am surprised we are 19th nationally in years of college experience. I thought we would be higher.

Much better article than the Athletic asking Wisconsin HS football head coaches which NCAA head coaches they didn't trust.

I'm not an Athletic supporter.

They lost $42,000,000 last year.

I am surprised we are 19th nationally in years of college experience. I thought we would be higher.
Think it depends on what they're using as criteria.
Here's what I came up with. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/

Average Years Experience
Providence 3.2 (10-1 record)
Alabama Birmingham 3.1 (9-2)
Penn State 3.1 (5-5)
Richmond 3.1 (6-4)
Chattanooga 3.0 (9-2)
Vermont 3.0 (7-4)
Minnesota 3.0 (9-1)

That's every school in the nation with 3.0 or more.

Last edited:

Top Bottom