The antidote for Iowans

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Hold up ten fingers and wiggle Mr. Pointer. Let them know that's where ring #7 is going. It drives them crazy. It's hilarious. They start blathering about the days of leather helmets and crap until you ask them if it was so easy back then why Iowa never won one. Then they rip on the Minnesota fanbase until you remind them Carver has had a max of 500 fans it for like 3 years now.

Gopher fans should not be brining up a future national championship. Come on man....

Gopher fans should not be brining up a future national championship. Come on man....

Well the point is not a future national championship but the fact we have 6 in the past.

Apart from that, I respectfully disagree. Why would a Minnesota alumni and fan be ashamed saying we could win another national championship someday? Iowa fans say they are going to win one all the time and they have never even sniffed a national championship.

If you have gotten to the point that Iowans can come on here, insult your school and you believe it, then it is a symptom of the rotten state of affairs going on with the football program. I for one think it can be turned around.

Let's shoot for a conference win first. Or a second win.

Petey has a point. Yes, our program is in shambles right now. But there's only one way to go from here and that's up. We have everything in place for a top tier Big12Ten program, except for a coach that knows what he's doing. And he's (hopefully) coming this offseason.

It takes paramecium to rip on a team and a fan base when they are in the depths of the abyss. Reminding said paramecium where their team's history ranks when compared to ours' is easy to get under their skin. Well, their pellicle. And trust me, it's really freakin' thin.

Antidote for Iowawegians? I thought you were going to say soap or using polysyllabic words.

Lock your public bathrooms, and then

detail_hide_yo_bricks.jpg

Hold up ten fingers and wiggle Mr. Pointer. Let them know that's where ring #7 is going. It drives them crazy. It's hilarious. They start blathering about the days of leather helmets and crap until you ask them if it was so easy back then why Iowa never won one. Then they rip on the Minnesota fanbase until you remind them Carver has had a max of 500 fans it for like 3 years now.

Yeah, Iowa is about to have its fifth Top Ten national finish in the past ten years, is currently in the Rose Bowl race, and plays a fun brand of hard-nosed football. I'm sure all of those fans will turtle up and crawl away when you flash them your Mr Pointer finger. It will probably devestate them. Great point. Let's all do it.

Here's a tip for you. Not one Iowa fan give a rats ass about our national titles, all but one of which was won 70+ years ago. I promise you it won't drive them crazy when you wiggle Mr. Pointer at them. We might want to worry about winning our first Big Ten game in more than a calendar year.

In general, no one would understand while you were wiggling fingers at them, no matter who was the wiggler and who was the wigglee. If someone is being a d-bag, ignore them. If they continue, walk away. If they come after you to continue to be a d-bag, then you've done your part, turning the other cheek is fine, but you run out of cheeks.

In general, no one would understand while you were wiggling fingers at them, no matter who was the wiggler and who was the wigglee. If someone is being a d-bag, ignore them. If they continue, walk away. If they come after you to continue to be a d-bag, then you've done your part, turning the other cheek is fine, but you run out of cheeks.

I can't believe you mention cheeks with an Iowa fan. I'm already going to have to make sure my whole system is cleansed before I go into TCF Bank so I don't have to walk into a restroom where baby hawkeyes are made. I definitely don't want to be turning any cheeks to them.

I can't believe you mention cheeks with an Iowa fan. I'm already going to have to make sure my whole system is cleansed before I go into TCF Bank so I don't have to walk into a restroom where baby hawkeyes are made. I definitely don't want to be turning any cheeks to them.

Iowa fans have a different idea of the spread than common football parlance.

OP, if you've ever done this I guarantee you got laughed at. I would be embarrassed if I saw this. We cant even talk trash to Indiana fans anymore.

OP, if you've ever done this I guarantee you got laughed at. I would be embarrassed if I saw this. We cant even talk trash to Indiana fans anymore.

You are missing the point. The point is that Iowa fans are the most delusional, loudmouth idiots in college sports and they have nothing to brag about. We are in last place in the Big Ten and even we have 6 national titles. The point is not talking trash, the point is responding to the bragadocia that we constantly have to put up with from the hog farmers down south. While my example was hyperbolic, it is usually effective to remind them that we have a great football tradition and that their basketball arena sits 99% empty (WAY emptier than TCF Bank stadium) as soon as their team falls on hard times.

There is nothing embarrassing, to me, about reminding people who ridicule my school that the U has something to be proud of too.

You are missing the point. The point is that Iowa fans are the most delusional, loudmouth idiots in college sports and they have nothing to brag about. We are in last place in the Big Ten and even we have 6 national titles. The point is not talking trash, the point is responding to the bragadocia that we constantly have to put up with from the hog farmers down south. While my example was hyperbolic, it is usually effective to remind them that we have a great football tradition and that their basketball arena sits 99% empty (WAY emptier than TCF Bank stadium) as soon as their team falls on hard times.

There is nothing embarrassing, to me, about reminding people who ridicule my school that the U has something to be proud of too.

Dude, are you like four years old? If you are so insecure that what little self-esteem you may have is going to take such a massive beating by them being here on 11/27, stay home and don't watch on TV. Maybe listen on the radio??

Dude, are you like four years old? If you are so insecure that what little self-esteem you may have is going to take such a massive beating by them being here on 11/27, stay home and don't watch on TV. Maybe listen on the radio??

?? While I admit the history of national championships rebuttal does get old when it's been SO long and they (WI and IA) have had recent success, it certainly is something to be proud about. Especially when the talking/bragging/berating points they have are these:

- You're team is so terrible, and has been for sooooo long, why do you even follow them or support them?
- Your fan base is so pathetic that they can't even come out and support their team, even when bad or having a down year.

Here are my beefs:
The simultaneously berate us for supporting a loser and even showing up to watch us in futility and then in the same breath make fun of us for not having a strong, rabid following and that any good fans would - 2 contradictory statements.

Throw in the fact that both IA and WI fans have a history of losing support of teams (the turnout at Iowa's basketball arena and WI in the mid-late 80s football are proof), making their people no different than ours. It just proves that fans have a relatively short memory on success, and can't look inward before pointing and laughing at others for the exact same crimes of a fanbase.

I'm here, at the game, supporting a 1-XX team. Instead of being a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, why not be cool and have a beer with me. Or talk about how you remember when your team was in the $hitter.

At the end of the day, even though I wasn't alive for any of them, I am proud that the University of Minnesota has a Heisman winner, 6 National Championships, 18 Big Ten Championships. I am proud that we still have an all-time winning record against our 2 biggest rivals (which says something about how good we were for long periods of our history). Other schools like Notre Dame Oklahoma, etc that lost their way for a while didn't/don't shy away from that history. Why? Because tradition and history are the things that make college football college football (aside from bands, cheerleaders, etc etc). So if my only rebuttal for now is that we have 6, they have 0, so be it. they've already shown themselves to be an outward dbag, so I might as well remind them their place in college football - flavor of the week for national attention. They have a down year and no one will care. At all.

Top Bottom