The 2023-24 Gopher basketball season will be a success if?...

BleedGopher

Reaction score
...if we win 8 Big Ten games.

...if we have at least one Top 25 upset at The Barn.

...if Payne/Carrington/Ola-Joseph all continue to show improvement and all stay in the program.

Go Gophers!!

I remember when the staunchest Ben supporters were claiming "11 B1G wins minimum" now it's 7. The goal posts sure have moved.

Either the Gophers have 8+ conference wins or they have 3 or less.

If they have 8 or more, there is signs of life and maybe CBJ can turn this around. If they have 3 or less, CBJ gets the hook and we start fresh. Anything in between is purgatory and who knows which way Coyle goes. And of course, because MN sports, we'll end up with 4-7 conference wins to put us in purgatory and we will continue to wander the desert for at least one more year. Sigh.

Assuming reasonable health, I think much of the upside of the season will depend on Ihnen and Fox. They are the two biggest of several unknowns and they represent the possibility of both upgraded talent and depth.

The upside of the season is eight B1G wins. I remain more positive about Ben than most on this board, though not to the degree of Rock-whatever-the-rest-of-his-name-is.

I remember when the staunchest Ben supporters were claiming "11 B1G wins minimum" now it's 7. The goal posts sure have moved.
I haven't paid close attention to most of these threads. I don't recall anyone predicting 11 B1G wins. Seems like a fever dream.

so how do you define "success?" I tend to take a broader view than going strictly by record.

for me, a successful season includes:

--play hard, play smart.
--show improvement from the start to the end of the season
--play competitive games. no 20 or 30 point blowouts.
--play better defense
--be a better rebounding team
--play a more entertaining style of ball - move the ball, get good shots, push the tempo.

--don't be like the Timberwolves. Please lawd, don't be like the Timberwolves.

Counting the BigTen Tournament I want 7 or 8 conference wins and at the least a NIT berth. Otherwise he should be gone or held to a minumum standard in 24, and that probably is over patient n generous!

Avoid Weakling Wednesday.

In all likelihood that means Gophs have won at least 7 conference games.
That's my answer, too. At this point, it's a longshot, but that doesn't make it any less valid of a measuring stick. It's the only way the coaching staff should be allowed to keep their jobs next year.

I'm sure some (or most maybe ha) won't like this but for me there are 2 ways to be "successful " this year.

1. Dramatic turn from the last few years. I'm talking 9-11 conference wins, looking like a team that could beat really good teams on a given night but handles their business vs the bad teams. Something that would truly show growth and potential.
2. This may lose some which I understand. If we aren't drastically improved, then l went to be so bad there is 0 question that CBJ needs to be fired.

Losing sucks, none of us want to lose, but I am terrified of what keeping below average will do long term. If going 4-16 keeps a coach in his 3rd year after 2 last place finishes, then to me "success" is going 1-19 and just starting over and admitting you messed up. I want to leave this year with no doubt, either we have that guy to lead the program or we absolutely know we don't and need a reset.

This season will be a success if they can get me to care about it.

Shoot 36% or better from beyond the arc, 78% or better from the charity line, and
score at least 1 more point than opponent in 18 games.

3rd year...what should be a solid base by now...NCAA Tournament...9 conference teams made it in 2022, 8 in 2023. The Gophers weren't even close. I compare it to Clem's 1st 2 years, and he ended up with a foundation that turned out to be a S16 & Elite 8. We haven't been on probation, we didn't have a "Madison". Who's responsible for the past 2 years? Who dug the "hole" that makes getting out of "Weakling Wednesday" a Success?? I hope he does well, he's the current coach...but 3rd year, in today's environment... NCAA tournament

so how do you define "success?" I tend to take a broader view than going strictly by record.

for me, a successful season includes:

--play hard, play smart.
--show improvement from the start to the end of the season
--play competitive games. no 20 or 30 point blowouts.
--play better defense
--be a better rebounding team
--play a more entertaining style of ball - move the ball, get good shots, push the tempo.

--don't be like the Timberwolves. Please lawd, don't be like the Timberwolves.
A successful season cannot be defined in advance. They will play the games and interested parties can take all season factors into account afterward and make their judgments. Some judgments will be more important than others in deciding how we go forward.

Just don’t embarrass us. No scandals. No records being made. Entertain me, please. That’s all I ask for.

Top Bottom