The 2020 Gophers season will be a success if?...

After last year, I think we make the Championship game it will be success. If we don’t, I think it will be a blow and a slight setback

We are successful if we show last year was no fluke and that we belong in the conversation of being a top six programs in the B1G TEN.

Low end: Finishing 6-2 with 2 trophies (jug, ax or pig) and are completive in losses.. In this scenario we see development throughout the year but experienced some heart breaking defeats. Get two more four star recruits to fill out the recruiting class. All this would put us in the conversation as a top tier B1G program.

High End: Win West and are in the CFP conversation up to the championship game. If we achieve this, this puts us into the conversation of Top 4 (or at least shows we are tapping on the door).

An unsuccessful year would be losing more than 2, especially if it means not taking any trophies. If that happens the program goes backwards in perceptions, as does the shine on PJ.

I think it is kind of foolish to predict much until we actually see teams hit the field and start playing. We are in such an unprecedented time right now. If things seem basically normal and the teams are able to play out the whole season then it would be disappointing to not see us in the hunt for the West but there are so many unknowns right now it is really tough to put a firm expectation on how the team will do.

I'm setting my bar pretty low right now. 2020 will be a success if we play out the entire shortened season and are legit contenders again in the West and for the Big Ten as a whole.

Win at least two trophies (three if you count the Bits o' Broken Chair).

EVERY YEAR my goal is the same.
Beat wisconsin
Finish ahead of wisconsin in the division

I'd rather be 1-11 and them 0-12 than 9-3 and them 10-2 and off to another B10 championship game. (Adjust to 8 game schedule for this year)

Either win the west or at least one game away from winning. We should be up there.

Unfortunately not like Ohio State as to an answer. Anything less than the top 4 in the country ranking is a huge disappointment for them year after year.

Last year was unquestionably a success, in my book.

And yet, they did not:
- win either trophy
- win the conference
- win the division.

I think beating Michigan and Iowa, and then losing to Wisconsin for the division title, would not be a failure. If we then had a high level bowl game, I'd consider the season successful (again).

We are successful if we show last year was no fluke and that we belong in the conversation of being a top six programs in the B1G TEN.
This pretty much sums it up for me. Just don't take a huge step backwards. Stay ranked, be competitive in every game, beat 1 or more of Mich/Wisc/Iowa, and don't stub a toe against any lesser teams.

my bar is contending for the west in the last 2 weeks of the year

if we beat wisconsin and iowa

This is a weird year. So:

1. Players/staff stay healthy;
2. We play all of the games; and
3. We win at least 6 of those games.

No one from Delaware wins anything in November

Winning isn’t a measure of success, it is a byproduct of success.

there are scenarios where 6-2 is a failure and there are scenarios where 4-4 is a success,

The year is a success if the program continues to grow both on and off the field.

the year is a failure if the coach leaves or it turns out the coach is a fluke in some way

It's interesting how many people defined success similarly to way I would for this year. Success to me this year is adding at least two trophies to the case. That means beating 2 out of Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. I am really disgusted by this programs inexcusable record against Iowa (I believe it's now 7-21 in the last 28 years) and don't even want to think about losing that game again. The Gophers played their worst game of the conference season by far in Iowa City to lose their undefeated record last year. They can't make up for that loss, but they can at least start to turn that series around in 2020. Even if they end up 5-3 in conference play, I think winning 2 of these 3 trophy games will be enough to keep momentum going for this program and create plenty of interest for 2021 when the season starts out with Ohio State at TCF.

It's interesting how many people defined success similarly to way I would for this year. Success to me this year is adding at least two trophies to the case. That means beating 2 out of Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. I am really disgusted by this programs inexcusable record against Iowa (I believe it's now 7-21 in the last 28 years) and don't even want to think about losing that game again. The Gophers played their worst game of the conference season by far in Iowa City to lose their undefeated record last year. They can't make up for that loss, but they can at least start to turn that series around in 2020. Even if they end up 5-3 in conference play, I think winning 2 of these 3 trophy games will be enough to keep momentum going for this program and create plenty of interest for 2021 when the season starts out with Ohio State at TCF.
Losing a one score game with the ball and a chance to win at the end can't be worse than our performance against Wisconsin.

Losing a one score game with the ball and a chance to win at the end can't be worse than our performance against Wisconsin.
Wonder if he meant "worst half"? The first half in Iowa was pretty bad.

But even then, first half of Iowa we "lost" 6-20, while the second half of Wisconsin we "lost 10-28. Still think that second half was just miserable, with the blizzard and all.

Beat Wisconsin. Win 5 games prior to crossover.

Yes, you're definitely going to need a religious miracle come November 3. 😘
After last time, I won't trust anything. My pessimism rarely fails me.

So when the world, very occasionally, allows the correct and just thing to happen, I rejoice and savor.

Top Bottom