That must-have two-point conversion play

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
What was that?
Not only did we throw it - which clearly isn’t our effing strength - we somehow didn’t throw it into the end zone, not that it was completed anyway. But even if it was, it would have been effing short.

That’s the play we have? No wildcat, no pitch play, no run behind Ko? I mean….

It was a really poor impersonation of Clemson's "Crush" play from the title game a few years ago. The QB has to get depth on his roll out and the RB has to set the edge. We didn't do either

The play call was so bizarre we were getting 5 yards running the ball at will

Add to it that as soon as the motion started, you knew exactly what the play was. That that’s our “gotta have it” play is mind boggling

I would suggest that they don’t even practice such a play. Thinking they will see what’s been successful so far in the game and call that play. Same with overtime. Sad

MBS was the pick for CAB, then he snuck out and was wide open in the end zone.

I have been loyal to Morgan. Rewatching this game especially those last two drives has me ready for a change. What made him great in 2019 (cool under pressure making winning plays) is gone. On the Gophers last possession when they reach midfield and need 20 more yards he had two easy chances to do so. On the third down play he could have pumped to Dylan Wright and had a repeat of the CAB TD. Then the last play of the game, Dios mio, stay in the pocket and throw a 50/50 ball to CAB on the sideline.

MBS was the pick for CAB, then he snuck out and was wide open in the end zone.

I have been loyal to Morgan. Rewatching this game especially those last two drives has me ready for a change. What made him great in 2019 (cool under pressure making winning plays) is gone. On the Gophers last possession when they reach midfield and need 20 more yards he had two easy chances to do so. On the third down play he could have pumped to Dylan Wright and had a repeat of the CAB TD. Then the last play of the game, Dios mio, stay in the pocket and throw a 50/50 ball to CAB on the sideline.
Morgan has a couple of games to go, so I'm going to basically let it ride with him.

But on the sack to end the game, and I'm being serious here..................I would have loved to have seen the play unfold, because I literally believe we never throw the ball to the end zone. I am serious here.

Morgan has a couple of games to go, so I'm going to basically let it ride with him.

But on the sack to end the game, and I'm being serious here..................I would have loved to have seen the play unfold, because I literally believe we never throw the ball to the end zone. I am serious here.
Are you saying he was going to throw for the end zone on that last play? That would have been a strange time to do so but par for the course with all the head scratching offensive plays. Rolling right into pressure and still not having the poise to get rid of it was…

It was a really poor impersonation of Clemson's "Crush" play from the title game a few years ago. The QB has to get depth on his roll out and the RB has to set the edge. We didn't do either

Lauranitis, or “Dinkanaitis” as some here call him 😄 correctly predicted they would try a pick play with the receivers and it probably WOULD have worked if they had followed Clemson’s example and kept 9 Daniel Jackson as the intended receiver with 22 doing the pick, instead of running CAB all the way across the formation dragging his DB with him who was unimpeded. No prayer it would have worked. I’m not sure if that’s how it was drawn up but the opportunity for conversion was there, just wrong choice.

Haven’t seen it run back, but freshmen RB had an ineffective block that disrupted the play. Poorly executed.
If throw was on money CAB beats corner to the pile on.

Haven’t seen it run back, but freshmen RB had an ineffective block that disrupted the play. Poorly executed.
If throw was on money CAB beats corner to the pile on.

CAB didn’t have a chance. It was one step too cute.

Are you saying he was going to throw for the end zone on that last play? That would have been a strange time to do so but par for the course with all the head scratching offensive plays. Rolling right into pressure and still not having the poise to get rid of it was…
Im saying we don't throw it to the end zone, period. It just had that feel.

Throw it short and the clock may run out. I'd have loved to see what we did. You chuck it the end zone there, but I'm betting we wouldn't have.

I thought Crab was open but Irving couldn’t cut the end. Going on memory here.

I thought Crab was open but Irving couldn’t cut the end. Going on memory here.
Correct

there was a guy on crab that could’ve hit him two yards deep in the end zone though. It would’ve been a bad play from the 5.

was a bad play from the 3 because we didn’t complete our assignment

I am far from a Sanford defender (fire him now please), but that WR motion out route is a pretty common 2-pt/goal line play.

I am far from a Sanford defender (fire him now please), but that WR motion out route is a pretty common 2-pt/goal line play.

Alright, I had to look up the video and MBS didn’t really set a pick a la the Clemson vid above. Didn’t move the picked defender downfield and allowed Jackson’s DB to switch off and chase CAB down. MAYBE if CAB catches the ball with a head of steam and does an acrobatic football move while being tackled to get the ball over the goal they convert. Absolutely no way he ”walks into the end zone”. It was overly complicated but probably would have worked if MBS had moved downfield after his defender engaged.

Go watch the replay. Did I misunderstand what you are saying?
If the running back cuts the guy correctly, CAB walks in

Yes I just watched it several times. You need to see an optometrist.

Yes I just watched it several times. You need to see an optometrist.
Going to have to disagree then. Guy covering cab man to man was inside and in the end zone. Unless you think he was 5 steps faster than CAB in a 10 step race CAB scores with a good ball.

Going to have to disagree then. Guy covering cab man to man was inside and in the end zone. Unless you think he was 5 steps faster than CAB in a 10 step race CAB scores with a good ball.

Dude, watch the video. #26 was all over it.

Dude, watch the video. #26 was all over it.
I’m going to disagree. With an accurate ball CAB score 10/10 times he catches it.

Are we talking about the same play?

Attachments

• 4E1E0C02-6E6C-4E9B-B9B2-6FAC16A33D85.jpeg
    4E1E0C02-6E6C-4E9B-B9B2-6FAC16A33D85.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 17

I’m going to disagree. With an accurate ball CAB score 10/10 times he catches it.

Are we talking about the same play?

OK, we’ll agree to disagree.

Despite the Iowa player making a good play to tip the pass, and the window dressing CAB movement, the Iowa DB was clearly in position and rapidly closing to make a tackle by the time CAB turns to catch the ball, turns back to the end zone, and move downfield into the end zone. Iowa made a good play, and even if he hadn’t tipped the pass the play probably would have failed because MBS didn’t impede the movement of any of the DBs.

OK, we’ll agree to disagree.

Despite the Iowa player making a good play to tip the pass, and the window dressing CAB movement, the Iowa DB was clearly in position and rapidly closing to make a tackle by the time CAB turns to catch the ball, turns back to the end zone, and move downfield into the end zone. Iowa made a good play, and even if he hadn’t tipped the pass the play probably would have failed because MBS didn’t impede the movement of any of the DBs.
Yeah we can disagree. cab would’ve walked in If given a ball.

might be a bad 2 point call either way as we asked a freshmen back to do something we rarely make our backs do

Yeah we can disagree. cab would’ve walked in If given a ball.

might be a bad 2 point call either way as we asked a freshmen back to do something we rarely make our backs do

Iowa player just made a good play. MBS acted like they had never practiced this before. Had they?

Iowa player just made a good play. MBS acted like they had never practiced this before. Had they?
No idea if they had. He was open anyways. Look at the still I posted. No way that guy can make the tackle if Morgan hits CAB in stride

No idea if they had. He was open anyways. Look at the still I posted. No way that guy can make the tackle if Morgan hits CAB in stride

I’ve looked at the video a half dozen times. He was dead to rights. I know it’s important to you to win this argument but absolutely no way he just walks into the end zone. The DB has a head of steam and is nearly to CAB and the ball has just left Morgan’s hand. It just wasn’t well executed. Like I said maybe the DB whiffs on the tackle, CAB makes a lunge across the goal line with his arm but probably not going to happen.

I’ve looked at the video a half dozen times. He was dead to rights. I know it’s important to you to win this argument but absolutely no way he just walks into the end zone. The DB has a head of steam and is nearly to CAB and the ball has just left Morgan’s hand. It just wasn’t well executed. Like I said maybe the DB whiffs on the tackle, CAB makes a lunge across the goal line with his arm but probably not going to happen.
The DB isn’t within 3 yards and the ball is 30-40% of the way to the target in the still I posted in this thread. Again I don’t think you understand that CAB was running full speed, had outside leverage, and the DB was still in the end zone when the ball was released. If the ball is thrown to CAB outside in stride not a DB in the country could make the play you are saying 26 was guaranteed to make

Attachments

• 82B35CA5-25C9-4C34-8D36-C4C7846521E0.jpeg
    82B35CA5-25C9-4C34-8D36-C4C7846521E0.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 3

Top Bottom