That Illinois loss.....

That collapse to Illinois changed this team. They never recovered from that one and just quit. Who quit more though....the players or the coaching staff.
I think the earlier more profound and shocking collapse to Northwestern set the tone. Our offense this year, save for a few games against weaker teams that we beat by ground-n-pound, never looked comfortable, coordinated or CONFIDENT. And we needed our offense to grow and evolve during the year, as the defense regressed. Despite AK8's arm strength, we rarely took shots downfield. Probably overstating it, but it seemed as though most intermediate and longer passes we threw were contested (scheme?); frankly, it is amazing that Jackson had the year he did. It's not just about execution (which PJ always defaults to); it's also about player and coach mindset. Next year will be interesting. Hope some of our younger players take big steps forward. And we may need another option at QB besides AK8 (who is a great kid with a great arm, but ...).

Downing the punt five yards into the end zone symbolized the season.
Haha -- I have got to agree. You just don't see smart football teams doing that. I think the Illinois and the Northwestern losses stung way more than this one did. I think everyone was expecting it. I just wish I had the guts to drive to Diamond Jo's and wager heavily on it but I just don't like betting against the Gophers.

I think the earlier more profound and shocking collapse to Northwestern set the tone. Our offense this year, save for a few games against weaker teams that we beat by ground-n-pound, never looked comfortable, coordinated or CONFIDENT. And we needed our offense to grow and evolve during the year, as the defense regressed. Despite AK8's arm strength, we rarely took shots downfield. Probably overstating it, but it seemed as though most intermediate and longer passes we threw were contested (scheme?); frankly, it is amazing that Jackson had the year he did. It's not just about execution (which PJ always defaults to); it's also about player and coach mindset. Next year will be interesting. Hope some of our younger players take big steps forward. And we may need another option at QB besides AK8 (who is a great kid with a great arm, but ...).
The team recovered from northwestern by beating Iowa in Iowa City. Illinois was ore crushing because they never won a game after that.

The team recovered from northwestern by beating Iowa in Iowa City. Illinois was ore crushing because they never won a game after that.
I’d say we should submit our dispute to neutral arbitration. If I lose there, I’ll cry uncle.

You make many good points here. I would add the apparent lack of leadership on both sides of the ball. Going into this season I thought T. Nubin / Lindenberg on D and maybe BSF/ CrAB on O could step up when the team needed more leadership. I know a few of these guys struggled with injuries but I don’t think we had other players step into the role of team leader.

Nubin = extremely over rated.

AK = his peak was the Wisconsin game last year.

Our OL and DL = Texas high school football strength

Our WRs = south Dakota speed.

It is what it is.

You guys can blame the coaches for recruiting it, but the players lost us more games than coaching.

Or they just weren’t very good at all this year.

We really should have lost to Nebraska, but got lucky. We got lucky against Iowa. Easily could have been a horrific 3-9 year instead.

Nubin = extremely over rated.

AK = his peak was the Wisconsin game last year.

Our OL and DL = Texas high school football strength

Our WRs = south Dakota speed.

It is what it is.

You guys can blame the coaches for recruiting it, but the players lost us more games than coaching.
Coaches didn't game plan to win. Just terrible. All Fleck's talk of a more open passing game was just that, talk. Trotted out gameplan from his 2017 season...if they were even that good. $9M+ for this coaching staff. Fleck absolutely has to make coaching changes on offense. If he does not, or doesn't bring in successful, experienced ones, prepare for more of the same. Fleck need to know when to get out of the way.

Top Bottom