Thanksgiving Bucket Thread -What One Thing/Player Are U Most Grateful for and Why?

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Wow...tougher for me than the football.

The 80s Gophs and what a badazz Daryl Mitchell was as a oversized Guard (at that time and point) and we seriously kicked some azz.

I'll always have a soft spot for Austin Hollins. Was never that super flashy scorer, but always solid and dependable at filling stats where needed. And team always seemed to play so much better with him on the floor, he was always a steadying presence for us.

Thankful for Willie Burton and Melvin Newbern. I wasn't really a basketball fan to any degree until i started watching them play on t.v. (or listening on the radio). As much as i have been a huge fan of many Gopher players, i don't know if anyone could ever do anything to top Willie's place in my childhood memories. He could take over from anywhere on the court and either side of the ball. Newbern...it seemed like 2-3 times every single game he had a steal and unassisted dunk/layup. Loved watching him pick pockets.

I saw Willie Burton and the mask as a young kid, but I'd have to say Bobby Jackson. He was the biggest reason for the only Gopher B1G title (in either football or basketball) that I've been alive for. It was one of the few times wearing my Gopher Starter jacket in the winter in Iowa as a kid (high schooler by this time) was a positive experience. I never would have guessed I'd be old and washed up and not even seen a Sweet 16 (!) since that year.

I'll always have a soft spot for Austin Hollins. Was never that super flashy scorer, but always solid and dependable at filling stats where needed. And team always seemed to play so much better with him on the floor, he was always a steadying presence for us.

Yes, very solid with high leadership skills. There was one big difference between Pitino's NIT championship team and the very disappointing team that followed: no Austin Hollins.

At the end of his first year, Pitino was asked about various categorizations of his players.

Question: Hardest worker on the team?

Answer: "Austin Hollins. Easy pick."

Stands to reason that the son of an NBA player and coach would understand the work necessary to become a good player.

Top Bottom