Thad Matta.... classless

Well, he recruited the #2 pick to play for him, so give credit where it is due there. The guy is a very good recruiter.

They flat out kicked our tails today. If the Gophers don't like getting the score run up, then play some freaking D and stop them. This is division one NCAA basketball.

The guy coaches at OSU!!! of course he's a good recruiter!

Yeah, it's our job to stop them blah blah blah....

He ran up the score. some coaches have class, others don't.

He doesn't.

First, for the OSU fan here: You've overstayed your welcome, at least from my POV. I'm tired of your patronizing tone. Get lost or find a legitimate reason to be here other than phony-nice nonsense.

The rest of you, you know, the ones who really belong here: Just let it go. Coaches don't push buttons nearly as much as some of you would like to believe. Besides, when do you think a team should pack it up for the day? How much time is necessary to blow up a 20+ point lead? Actually, how long did it take tOSU to build a 20+ point lead from nearly nothing? Not long. If I were on that bench I'd have been concerned it didn't happen in reverse. Just let it go. It's competitive sports, not back yard horseshoes. This was not to be our day and you should have realized that when everything the Buckeyes threw at the basket found its way through the netting.

First, for the OSU fan here: You've overstayed your welcome, at least from my POV. I'm tired of your patronizing tone. Get lost or find a legitimate reason to be here other than phony-nice nonsense.

The rest of you, you know, the ones who really belong here: Just let it go. Coaches don't push buttons nearly as much as some of you would like to believe. Besides, when do you think a team should pack it up for the day? How much time is necessary to blow up a 20+ point lead? Actually, how long did it take tOSU to build a 20+ point lead from nearly nothing? Not long. If I were on that bench I'd have been concerned it didn't happen in reverse. Just let it go. It's competitive sports, not back yard horseshoes. This was not to be our day and you should have realized that when everything the Buckeyes threw at the basket found its way through the netting.

thanks. OK . I'm done.

On to the tourney.

Well, he recruited the #2 pick to play for him, so give credit where it is due there. The guy is a very good recruiter.

They flat out kicked our tails today. If the Gophers don't like getting the score run up, then play some freaking D and stop them. This is division one NCAA basketball.

Yeah, I'm sure OSU boosters have absolutely nothing to do with OSU's continued dominance in recruiting for all major sports. Absolutely nothing. Sure of it.

Because that is literally ALL they care about. Nothing more, nothing less. If you win, everything is always okay in Ohio. Trust me on this, I've known coaches from Ohio that are both Buckeye fans and Buckeye haters and they have flat told me that they excel in covering up things out there.

Having said that, Ohio State is clearly the better team and played just about a perfect game. They are certainly a deserving Big Ten Tournament champion. Do I see them as a threat in the NCAAs? Not really. But they were definitely the best team in the conference tourney this season.

Why not?

not to mention their scrub jacked a three up at the end of the game, if we did that against purdue yesterday it would have been a huge deal, but they didnt even say anything today, nantz and kellogg are homers for what reason? are they alumni?

not to mention their scrub jacked a three up at the end of the game, if we did that against purdue yesterday it would have been a huge deal, but they didnt even say anything today, nantz and kellogg are homers for what reason? are they alumni?

Kellogg is, hence his tears of joy.

I don't blame the backups at all for scoring - it's their one chance to do anything in the BTT, why waste it??

The only point is, why weren't those guys playing with 5 minutes left instead of first getting in at 1:23. And why was OSU still pressing?

I thought Matta running down to half court and screaming toward the Michigan bench after Turner hit that game winning 35 footer was one of the most classless things I have seen a coach do in quite sometime. Good Job Thad! Way to show up 20 year olds. Very nicely done.

Quit Crying!!

Matta is a good coach. They kicked our/Gophers arse... Stop them! You dont want them to score then stop them! Couple of the shots at the end were from kids who stepped on the court for the first time the whole tourney... Let them play... You play to the buzzer...

Its the Pros but not much difference then when Brookings and the Cowboys were crying..

Were an 11 seed. Ohio St is a good team and a tough matchup with their 4 big guards... Quit crying its embarassing....

Nonesense! You don't want your nose rubbed in it play better. And next yr with Trevor and Royce and 2 Josephs we repay!

Yeah, I'm sure OSU boosters have absolutely nothing to do with OSU's continued dominance in recruiting for all major sports. Absolutely nothing. Sure of it.

If they are dirty, it will come out. Otherwise, it just sounds like sour grapes. Easiest thing to do is to claim a school is cheating in recruiting when they out recruit you. Harder part comes in showing where it happens. Maybe it is because they have a much better program and facilities than we do?

O'Brien got ousted for it. Has anything come up with Motta?

Matta is a good coach. They kicked our/Gophers arse... Stop them! You dont want them to score then stop them! Couple of the shots at the end were from kids who stepped on the court for the first time the whole tourney... Let them play... You play to the buzzer...

Its the Pros but not much difference then when Brookings and the Cowboys were crying..

Were an 11 seed. Ohio St is a good team and a tough matchup with their 4 big guards... Quit crying its embarassing....

Right on. People here were loving the Westbrook dunk attempt which was the same thing.

Play better and out dont get blown out.

A loss is a loss, who cares by how much, IMO...

Anyone who says Matta has done a good job of coaching this year doesn't know anything about basketball. Half of the people on this board could do as good if not better job than he did this year. Don't believe me? Do you think that game plan is anything more than give the ball to Turner? Yay, me niether.

As for the classless thing pull the starters Thad. Do you really need to keep Turner in there until 1:30 left. Nah. And don't pretend that he won the Michigan. Belien lost that game and Turner bailed him out.

Classless

Lest we get caught up in the hyperbole surrounding the word "classless"...

Classless

No question, a shameful moment in U of M history, although it would have been more informative for the younger set had you included Luke's "classless" incident with Bobby Nix at the end of the first half. There is video and Luke is a few Buckeyes short of classy.
Actually, my definition of "classless" is how Russ Archambault, and others, set their academic schedule.

Classless

Not likely E. Turner remembers this particular incident. By the way, I agree with your definition of classless. I was there that night and Luke Witte was one of the most classless athletes to ever step foot on the Williams Arena raised floor.

Don't know about it being classless, as he was likely thinking he might have a shot at a No. 1 seed, etc. Gophers actually contesting a shot might have helped, too.

What I do know, though, is that it was stupid. Can you imagine how much he would have been crucified if Turner turns an ankle and is out two weeks? Hey, coach, you had the country's best player in the game with 3:00 left trying to get him his 30 points up by 30. Now, you don't have him, how's it feel? Idiocy.

Matta is a grade A @ss. Period. He works the refs more then Bo, and he's arrogant prick on top of it. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if there were unmentionables occuring on top of it, given the recruits he gets. Other then Coach Cal and Huggins, he's moved the #3 on the 'Coaches I hate' list. The fact that Turner is a complete tool doesn't help. As much as Bo Ryan drives me mad, I respect that he's a hell of a coach and I respect him 100X more then Thad Matta.

Any coach with an ounce of decency (or even concern for his over-worked starters) would have pulled them with at least 4-5 minutes left. And he would have told his bench not to chuck shots up 10 seconds into the shot clock. Complete garbage. If he was rubbing it in from the prior meetings, screw him. Bring it when it counts. Don't rub it in in garbage time.

Classless

Geez, buddy, 1972 was quite a while ago. Munich Olympics, Watergate, last troops in Vietnam, "American Pie", both coaches long dead? Maybe time to give that one up. A Minnesota fan would never be low enough to dredge up the past like that and suggest that Matta is merely following a fine tradition at Ohio State of coaches being jerks. That tradition was established by the most revered of Buckeye coaches. That would be Woody Somebody or Other who I believe went crazy and punched an opposing player. Pretty classy also since the player from Clemson had the gall to intercept a pass.

Matta is a grade A @ss. Period. He works the refs more then Bo, and he's arrogant prick on top of it. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if there were unmentionables occuring on top of it, given the recruits he gets. Other then Coach Cal and Huggins, he's moved the #3 on the 'Coaches I hate' list. The fact that Turner is a complete tool doesn't help. As much as Bo Ryan drives me mad, I respect that he's a hell of a coach and I respect him 100X more then Thad Matta.

Any coach with an ounce of decency (or even concern for his over-worked starters) would have pulled them with at least 4-5 minutes left. And he would have told his bench not to chuck shots up 10 seconds into the shot clock. Complete garbage. If he was rubbing it in from the prior meetings, screw him. Bring it when it counts. Don't rub it in in garbage time.

Would you hate him if he coached the Gophers? I think most would love him. Not his job to be liked by opposing teams fans...He is a very good coach who has done a lot more than anyone here in decades...

Would you hate him if he coached the Gophers? I think most would love him. Not his job to be liked by opposing teams fans...He is a very good coach who has done a lot more than anyone here in decades...

Thad Matta wouldn't have lasted ten years at a Big Ten school that didn't have the recruiting power of OSU.

How many National titles has he won with that prominence?

I'll stick with Tubby.

Thad Matta wouldn't have lasted ten years at a Big Ten school that didn't have the recruiting power of OSU.

How many National titles has he won with that prominence?

I'll stick with Tubby.

Hes part of the reason they are so good. 256-84 lifetime, great at Butler, Xavier, and OSU. Made the NCAA's every year but one, and that year won the NIT...

Tubby did win a national title at Kentucky, but does that school not have a better recruiting power than OSU in basketball?

Bottom line is that, IMO, tremendous coach, won everywhere he has been, and has never been involved in any sort of rule bending.

Hes part of the reason they are so good. 256-84 lifetime, great at Butler, Xavier, and OSU. Made the NCAA's every year but one, and that year won the NIT...

Tubby did win a national title at Kentucky, but does that school not have a better recruiting power than OSU in basketball?

Bottom line is that, IMO, tremendous coach, won everywhere he has been, and has never been involved in any sort of rule bending.

Although Tubby won the title with a far inferior team talent-wise than Matta's Conley-Oden juggernaut that failed.

But...No you're right, he must know something about coaching. Though IMO if you give Izzo, Tubby, or Painter the conveyor belt of 5-stars that Matta enjoys, they would field better teams.

AND he ran up the score needlessly today and ticked me off.

Although Tubby won the title with a far inferior team talent-wise than Matta's Conley-Oden juggernaut that failed.

But...No you're right, he must know something about coaching. Though IMO if you give Izzo, Tubby, or Painter the conveyor belt of 5-stars that Matta enjoys, they would field better teams.

AND he ran up the score needlessly today and ticked me off.

Dont disagree with that, but he gets those guys, and should get credit for that.

My point initially was that Goph fans on this board were lauding Westbrook when he tried to rub it in on Wisconsin with a dunk but now complain about getting pressed vs OSU. Cant have it both ways, IMO...

Dont disagree with that, but he gets those guys, and should get credit for that.

My point initially was that Goph fans on this board were lauding Westbrook when he tried to rub it in on Wisconsin with a dunk but now complain about getting pressed vs OSU. Cant have it both ways, IMO...

the two situations, scores of the games, rivals vs. not traditional rivals are/were completely different. your argument by trying to compare the minny vs. becky game and the minny vs. bucks game does not hold water. so QUIT trying to act like you are the "arbiter" of what is class and not class because i don't really think you have a clue. what matta did today during the last 5 minutes of the game was classless and a total d-bag move at the highest level. that is a point that there is no debating.

Top Bottom