TE/QB Samuel Pickerign to perform at halftime of Spring Game

So the theory of amateurism is gone? Pretty soon, do high schools start offering NIL to players to attract them to their schools??? Take out the requirement to go to college. Let em all go pro. But if you decide to accept a scholarship and play college sports, you shouldn't be doing so based on how much money you can get from an NIL.
I think we are eventually moving towards the European football model where players are signed by the big clubs to develop in their academies. (It is a little like our Academies for basketball or juniors for hockey but with the players getting contracts and $$.)

In the European football model, players' rights can be bought and sold just like the stars playing for the parent clubs. It allows the superstar athletes to get out of the traditional academic system thereby divorcing big time sports from school.

The NCAA will be able to focus on the real student athletes... unfortunately, they will be losing a LOT of revenue!

In other words, the free market doing it's job. What a concept.
Not sure I would call it free market. When Nebraska has the only show in town. When stunkin Iowa has their farmers organizing to form a collective, open to all alumni-Doctors, Lawyers, (not sure about Indian chiefs). And what are we doing to counter these programs?? Early bird gets the worm, or in this case the marginal 4 star.

I had to look back and see what this thread is supposed to be about. Awesome that this guy will have a chance to showcase his talents.

You are right on but, unfortunately, this just feeds the arms race. The big names who have rabid fan bases and boosters LIVE for their teams and will pony up more moolah than the next tier of Power 5 teams like the Gophers.
It only takes the right one individual to change things!

Not sure I would call it free market. When Nebraska has the only show in town. When stunkin Iowa has their farmers organizing to form a collective, open to all alumni-Doctors, Lawyers, (not sure about Indian chiefs). And what are we doing to counter these programs?? Early bird gets the worm, or in this case the marginal 4 star.
Ok, so the issue is you don't know what free market means. Got it.

I would rather see him take a jump off of a BMX bike and try to dunk a basketball, but this will do.

I met Sam at a Gopher function a few years back...nice young lad.

Break a leg, kid! (I probably wouldn't say that if he were on a BMX bike, which again, I think would be way cooler).

I would rather see him take a jump off of a BMX bike and try to dunk a basketball, but this will do.

I met Sam at a Gopher function a few years back...nice young lad.

Break a leg, kid! (I probably wouldn't say that if he were on a BMX bike, which again, I think would be way cooler).
What about breathing fire? That would be cool.

Top Bottom