TCF waiting list

umnhcky

Band Ninja
Reaction score
I ran into someone in the Gopher Points office at lunch today. So far, they are seeing about a 10% drop rate on season ticket renewals. They are seeing (mainly older) ticket holders drop because they don't want to be outside.

As a result they expect most, if not all, of the people CURRENTLY ON the waiting list to have the opportunity to purchase tickets.

That being said, if you're near the bottom of the list right now, and depending on how seat selections go for current season ticket holders and those ahead of you on the waiting list, that opportunity may be limited to premium seating areas.

If you are not on the list, but are seriously considering season tickets, you may want to sign up you can always defer if you don't want to pay for premium seating.

They haven't yet decided if waiting list people will be limited to just 2 tickets or could buy up to 4. They will probably not make that decision until they know how many tickets are available after current season ticket holders have completed their seat selection.

I believe there are about 29,000 public season tickets. A 10% drop rate means a loss of about 2900 tickets. A waiting list of 1400 ticket buyers could mean 2800-5600 tickets (2-4 per person on waiting list). That means that those numbers should be easily covered, right?

That 10% number is not too bad when you consider that it should go down from there as the younger ticket buyers are making their decisions.

I wonder how they are calculating the 10% drop. Does that mean that 10% of those eligilble to select seats have not when there date has come up so far? Maybe they will change their minds or are waiting for their group.

Getting rid of some of the older, sit on your hands crowd is great news for the rest of us trying to get the best seats possible that haven't picked yet. The non renewing crowd will be replaced by other fans so I'm fine with this.

The non renewing crowd will be replaced by other fans so I'm fine with this.

We hope. I'm an optimistic guy, but the "old folks" have made up the base of the fanbase for a while and there isn't any proof that simply moving to TCF is enough to bring out a big crop of new, younger season ticket holders to replace those who are leaving. I think its likely but I'm not assuming that it will happen either.

Include me in the list of season ticket holders who have deferred their selection time (today) to a later date (next week) to sit with friends. I know of two other season ticket holders who are or will be doing the same thing. I would bet that a good percentage of those who have let their selection time pass will be doing the same.

They are seeing (mainly older) ticket holders drop because they don't want to be outside.

Ha! Funny. Maybe our theory that the Dome is a sterile, boring environment where the old timers can sit comfortably on their hands is correct? Old or not, if someone is ditching season tix because games are being played outside I say good riddance! Don't let the revolving dome doors bump your ass on the way out!

Give the Q-Tips a Break

I'm a young (ish) guy at 39. One of my favorite things about college football has always been the variety of fans. I love seeing the old-timers show up in their old varsity sweaters. I love that we have kids there too. I stand and yell for ALL 3rd and 4th-down plays (even if we are losing by 55 points) and for most of the game and none of the old folks around me have ever complained.

Vikings games, on the other hand, are 90% made up of suburban males between the ages of 25 and 45 - Usually piss drunk and obnoxious. The level of "machisimo" displayed by these guys is almost satirical. I heard the words "dude" and "brewski" about 100 times at the last Vikes game I attended. THe beer-gut yahoos next to me were actually convinced that they could get one of the Vikings cheerleaders into bed but only for the secrity guards that seperate them from their conquests. These guys are usually the fair-weather fan types too.

No thanks, I'll gladly sit next to the grampa that's been to every game for 40 years rather than next to some 45-year old dude who thinks he's at a giant frat party.

Sorry if I've offended anybody fitting this description, I think white dudes aged 25 to 45 are alright (I'm one of them after all), I just don't want a stadium full of us.

Quote: "...I think white dudes aged 25 to 45 are alright (I'm one of them after all), I just don't want a stadium full of us."

I say amen to that. I have been living in mortal fear that the seats I selected in Gopher Stadium will be right next to an obnoxious "beer gut yahoo". Fortunately, my upper deck first row seats insure that I will not have to sit behind someone who likes to stand for ALL 3rd and 4th down plays. I am exited that I will never again have to stand during a play unless I want to. One thing is for sure, I will NEVER jump up DURING a play and block the view of the fans sitting behind me. I have experienced way too many rude football fans over the years who have done that to me.

I'm a young (ish) guy at 39. One of my favorite things about college football has always been the variety of fans. I love seeing the old-timers show up in their old varsity sweaters. I love that we have kids there too. I stand and yell for ALL 3rd and 4th-down plays (even if we are losing by 55 points) and for most of the game and none of the old folks around me have ever complained.

Vikings games, on the other hand, are 90% made up of suburban males between the ages of 25 and 45 - Usually piss drunk and obnoxious. The level of "machisimo" displayed by these guys is almost satirical. I heard the words "dude" and "brewski" about 100 times at the last Vikes game I attended. THe beer-gut yahoos next to me were actually convinced that they could get one of the Vikings cheerleaders into bed but only for the secrity guards that seperate them from their conquests. These guys are usually the fair-weather fan types too.

No thanks, I'll gladly sit next to the grampa that's been to every game for 40 years rather than next to some 45-year old dude who thinks he's at a giant frat party.

Sorry if I've offended anybody fitting this description, I think white dudes aged 25 to 45 are alright (I'm one of them after all), I just don't want a stadium full of us.

Hahahah, God you nailed that one. About a month ago I unleashed with some anti-Viking/Viking Fans rant and got some backlash from some Viking die-hards that probably displayed all of the behaviors you note above. I accused them of painting their face and owning at a minimum 5 purple jerseys, but your assessment may be more accurate. I totally agree about the older folks who probably graduated from the U and still support their alma mater, hopefully they still come out to the games.

As for the Vikings, hopefully Zigi moves his team to LA!!!

Hahahah, God you nailed that one. About a month ago I unleashed with some anti-Viking/Viking Fans rant and got some backlash from some Viking die-hards that probably displayed all of the behaviors you note above. I accused them of painting their face and owning at a minimum 5 purple jerseys, but your assessment may be more accurate. I totally agree about the older folks who probably graduated from the U and still support their alma mater, hopefully they still come out to the games.

As for the Vikings, hopefully Zigi moves his team to LA!!!

Get out of here with that crap. Many of us love the Vikings just like the U. You don't like them than fine but take your hate somewhere else

Quote: "...I think white dudes aged 25 to 45 are alright (I'm one of them after all), I just don't want a stadium full of us."

I say amen to that. I have been living in mortal fear that the seats I selected in Gopher Stadium will be right next to an obnoxious "beer gut yahoo". Fortunately, my upper deck first row seats insure that I will not have to sit behind someone who likes to stand for ALL 3rd and 4th down plays. I am exited that I will never again have to stand during a play unless I want to. One thing is for sure, I will NEVER jump up DURING a play and block the view of the fans sitting behind me. I have experienced way too many rude football fans over the years who have done that to me.

seriously, is being a sour old prick a full-time job for you? or do you just play that role here on GH to try and get reactions from people?

something tells me you are not a very fun person to be around in everyday life. sheeesh.....

seriously, is being a sour old prick a full-time job for you? or do you just play that role here on GH to try and get reactions from people?

something tells me you are not a very fun person to be around in everyday life. sheeesh.....

Actually, I am usually the life of the party. You should invite me to one of your tailgates sometime.

Actually, I am usually the life of the party. You should invite me to one of your tailgates sometime.

I hope youre being sarcastic here....

As a rule, anyone who claims that they are the life of any party is a little bit full of themselves, im sorry.
Also, anyone who believes that other people should invite him to their party is also quite full of themselves.

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt, though, and assume you are being sarcastic.

You could be right MrGopher. Nevertheless, most regulars Holers know that I have been a Gopher football fan for a long time, a Tim Brewster fan since he arrived at the U (his recent twitter notwithstanding), and I do like to drink beer at Gopher games

Some season ticket holders dropped their package because the price increase was ridiculous. I bet that accounts for much of that 10%, far more than any weather factor would play.

Some season ticket holders dropped their package because the price increase was ridiculous. I bet that accounts for much of that 10%, far more than any weather factor would play.

Ridiculous price increase from $250-$275? The people that have selected so far had the choice of basically anywhere in the stadium including the non donation seats. I don't by the price increase excuse.

A $25 increase is now ridiculous? I know if you had upper deck endzone seats at the Dome the increase was a tad worse, but there are no longer crappy seats like that to be had (and yes I know some people actually preferred those seats). The worst seat at TCF is superior to many "good" seats at the Dome.

Memorial Stadium

was full of old timers including my grandfather and great-grandfather. Have we become soft?

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we have gone soft in the Dome. We're weeding them out right now!

I just found out that I am ~ 1,300 on the waitlist. Do you think I'll get tickets this year? If so, what locations??

love the oldtimers, hate the 20 year old girls (no matter how hot they are) that stand the entire game facing backwards talking to people 3 rows up from them and they have no idea what quarter it is or what is going on in the game. love the drunk 19 year old guys who offer me $20 for my beer in the student section. Also hate the vikings and hope they move to LA (unless they take Percy Harvin or Pat White)

The old timers are one of the best parts of college sports. The mix of fans at college football games, between students, drunk students, families with recent grads and their kids , grandmas and grandpas in their maroon and gold sweaters (and the little pins, I love the pins) . The atmosphere of college sports is one of the best parts for me.

I am a pretty decent vikings fan and I will watch them on TV, but i have absolutely no interest in going to their games in person. I cant stand the fan base. Yes there are plenty of normal people who are Vikings fans, but the lunatics and ignorant drunks that I have sat next to the last times I've been to Vikes games, have ruined it for me. And honestly Im ok with that. I usually need to rest on the couch on sundays anyway, after our weekly Gopher-palooza on saturdays.

My only problem with Viking fans is that it seems the majority of them have no interest in college football. They have no idea how lucky they are to have a Big Ten team in town. I understand the U was horrible throughout the 90's but the past 10 years the Gophers have put some very talented and competitive teams out on the field. They deserved better attendance.
Sure, the Gophers haven't gone to the Rose Bowl, but it's not like the Vikings are going to the Super Bowl every year. What, 1978ish?
Granted the college game is tougher to follow because the players are constantly changing and national signing day probably isn't as entertaining as the NFL draft.
Hopefully being on campus and finally separating itself from the Vikings will help open some eyes that for some reason have been shut.

Top Bottom