Taylor a “game time decision”

Wasn't he running without a hitch in warmups last week?

Wild speculation only... I wonder if the preseason plan wasn't to unleash both Zach Evans and Darius Taylor in this game, trying for an upset. Why did he hold out Evans until he had to last week, maybe waiting for this week if Taylor wasn't out (and Tyler ineffective) and had to play Evans? Maybe trying for a surprise?

I think there may be some strategizing here with this Taylor news of game time decision. If he's out, then forget what I just wrote. But if he plays, maybe this is an attempt at some surprise strategy.

Point is, there could be some surprise attempted. Maybe not. Maybe Taylor will be out.

I thought we wouldn't know until 2 hours before gametime????

Wild speculation only... I wonder if the preseason plan wasn't to unleash both Zach Evans and Darius Taylor in this game, trying for an upset. Why did he hold out Evans until he had to last week, maybe waiting for this week if Taylor wasn't out (and Tyler ineffective) and had to play Evans? Maybe trying for a surprise?

I think there may be some strategizing here with this Taylor news of game time decision. If he's out, then forget what I just wrote. But if he plays, maybe this is an attempt at some surprise strategy.

Point is, there could be some surprise attempted. Maybe not. Maybe Taylor will be out.
What’s the surprise if a guy wearing a different jersey number runs the ball?

@howeda7 even though you may be exactly correct ..... that thinking is what held Mo out of the Purdue game last year, and probably cost us the game. A game that, if we won, would've given us the West title.

To be sure, I don't think losing to Michigan really impacts us the same way, because this game was probably always penciled in as a loss.

But if it ends up being close ......

@howeda7 even though you may be exactly correct ..... that thinking is what held Mo out of the Purdue game last year, and probably cost us the game. A game that, if we won, would've given us the West title.

To be sure, I don't think losing to Michigan really impacts us the same way, because this game was probably always penciled in as a loss.

But if it ends up being close ......
Michigan isn't Purdue. If we beat Michigan it's going to be because they somehow turn the ball over 4 times and AK plays the game of his life. Taylor makes the difference between a 5% chance to win and a 3% chance. Against Iowa in 2 weeks when the first team to 17 points probably wins, it's a much bigger impact.

Last edited:

Has a Fleck-coached player with an injury described as a “game time decision” ever played?

When I see “game time decision”, I assume it could be a career ending injury.
I also don't think a Fleck player coming off an injury has ever played the week before the Bye.

1st - this assumes that Thamel has sources inside the MN program at the highest level - because Fleck is notoriously secretive when it comes to injuries. So does anyone really think that a member of the training staff or even one of the coaches would leak 'classified' information to a media member? I find that very unlikely.

2nd - we're talking about a true FR RB who has played 3 D1 games in his career. If it's up to me, I am not putting him on the field against the #2 rated team in the country unless that player is absolutely 100%. You can't think about 1 game - you have to think about the rest of the season and the rest of that player's career.

1st - this assumes that Thamel has sources inside the MN program at the highest level - because Fleck is notoriously secretive when it comes to injuries. So does anyone really think that a member of the training staff or even one of the coaches would leak 'classified' information to a media member? I find that very unlikely.

2nd - we're talking about a true FR RB who has played 3 D1 games in his career. If it's up to me, I am not putting him on the field against the #2 rated team in the country unless that player is absolutely 100%. You can't think about 1 game - you have to think about the rest of the season and the rest of that player's career.
If he’s 100% he plays. Doesn’t matter if it’s Michigan or Kent State. He doesn’t get to 130% for Iowa by not playing. If he’s less than 100% he waits, like Cody or anyone else.

If okayed by the medical staff and the kid wants to play, he'll play. Don't think the "decision" is going deeper than that.

Give the rational reason (tough here on GH) why you need to know if a player is out or not? Why do you care if Fleck is secretive about injuries or not?

So you tell everyone who will listen about every malady within your family, including your irritable bowel and erectile disfunction?

Every time I read these threads it’s like watching an episode of “World's Most Entitled Paranoids”.

This is the kids hometown team he plays.
100% under PJ he doesn't play except for this. PJ has already said he's going to lose players without NIL money. (Speaking it into existence but which direction?)
Taylor is our most attractive player to be poached. Principles, common sense, what's best for the team all could be out the door if Taylor is begging to play this game. This could be a major sit down conversation with PJ about Taylor's future. If you are PJ you don't want Taylor pissed if really wants to play and thinks he should be out there today. He is a freshman.

Give the rational reason (tough here on GH) why you need to know if a player is out or not? Why do you care if Fleck is secretive about injuries or not?

So you tell everyone who will listen about every malady within your family, including your irritable bowel and erectile disfunction?

Every time I read these threads it’s like watching an episode of “World's Most Entitled Paranoids”.
Odd take. Fans of all sports discuss injuries. It's a part of the game.

Anyone else think Flecks needs a new strength and conditioning coach or a new physical therapist? Seems like we are seeing a lot of injuries, cramps, and inability to return from injuries.

100% under PJ he doesn't play except for this. PJ has already said he's going to lose players without NIL money. (Speaking it into existence but which direction?)
Taylor is our most attractive player to be poached. Principles, common sense, what's best for the team all could be out the door if Taylor is begging to play this game. This could be a major sit down conversation with PJ about Taylor's future. If you are PJ you don't want Taylor pissed if really wants to play and thinks he should be out there today. He is a freshman.
Taylor is not making any decisions about his future based on something happening on October 7.

Odd take. Fans of all sports discuss injuries. It's a part of the game.
Discussing injuries is one thing. Doing CIA-level analysis on the strategic thinking of a college football coach and on the psyche of a college freshman is another.

Top Bottom