Tanner on Mo: "I don't think anybody should ever wear the number 24 ever again at this university for what he's meant to the culture, to the team.''

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Gophers running back Mohamed Ibrahim suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon in the 2021 season opener against Ohio State and decided to return for a sixth season rather than declare for the NFL draft. On Thursday, he was asked what he felt about his choice.

"That I made the right decision,'' he said.

Ibrahim played one half in the Gophers' 28-20 victory over Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl, and in the process, he broke several program records.

• He entered the game with 4,597 career rushing yards and needed 58 more to break Darrell Thompson's career record of 4,654, set from 1986-89. Ibrahim carried 16 times for 71 yards, finishing with 4,668.
  • Ibrahim had rushed for 1,594 yards entering the game and needed 33 to surpass David Cobb's single-season record of 1,626 set in 2014. Ibrahim finished with 1,665 this season.
  • He needed 11 carries to break Cobb's 2014 mark of 314 rushing attempts in a single season. The 16 carries gave Ibrahim 320.
  • His 20th touchdown, which came on a 4-yard run in the second quarter, broke a tie with Gary Russell in 2005 for most in a season.
"I just took it week by week,'' Ibrahim said. "Just doing my job, executing the game plan,'' Ibrahim said.

Ibrahim added that he plans to compare notes with Thompson.

"We're gonna go out to dinner one of these days, so it's gonna be fun just talking about our careers,'' he said.

Fleck called Ibrahim, "One of the greatest football players I've ever been around.''

Quarterback Tanner Morgan called for the school's athletic direction and president to honor Ibrahim.

"His number should be retired, Mr. [Mark] Coyle and President [Joan] Gabel,'' Morgan said. "I don't think anybody should ever wear the number 24 ever again at this university for what he's meant to the culture, to the team.''

Go Gophers!!

I’m not fan of retiring numbers but wish the U would do something like the Vikings do with the ring of honor. There are plenty of players over the last 50 years that are worthy of being recognized.
Good idea but you better go back a lot further than that: Bronco, Bruce Smith, Tom Brown, etc.

I don't think they retire numbers in the sense that nobody can wear them anymore but I have no doubt Ibrahim's #24 will be honored.
We shot start a ring of honor like the Cowboys have - that would be cool and honor all the Greats we’dith z new Tradition

Good idea but you better go back a lot further than that: Bronco, Bruce Smith, Tom Brown, etc.
I was born in 1983 and probably started paying attention in late 80s /early 90s… can’t tell me Darrell Thompson, Tyrone Carter, Maroney, Barber, Ben Hamilton, Eslinger, Setterstrom, Utecht, Spaeth, Decker, Ron Johnson, Tyler Johnson, Bateman, Ibrahim, Winfield, Morgan, etc didn’t do enough to have some type of recognition in the stadium

Going back to my original post, this is why I’m not a fan of retiring numbers… you would simply run out of jersey numbers to issue.

I think the U should do 1-2 players a year, or make it black and white - win a national award, big ten POY, or inducted into the U Hall of Fame and you get your name up.

I don’t know the Vikings qualifications for their Ring of Honor, but it looks really classy in US Bank.

Last edited:

Agree with Morgan 100%. No reason you can’t honor many guys, Mo included, with retirement/restriction of their numbers as many other schools do. I think it would also go a long way to honoring some of those that have come before and absolutely could be part of something the goal line club or a university board becomes responsible for (they vote and put up the funds to put up the recognition, etc). It’s cheap and encourages some of these greats and their families to stay connected. I get it that for whatever reason (whether worried about politics, optics etc or some getting it vs not) that they’ve held back, but think the positives would far outweigh any silly criticism

Agree with Morgan 100%. No reason you can’t honor many guys, Mo included, with retirement/restriction of their numbers as many other schools do. I think it would also go a long way to honoring some of those that have come before and absolutely could be part of something the goal line club or a university board becomes responsible for (they vote and put up the funds to put up the recognition, etc). It’s cheap and encourages some of these greats and their families to stay connected. I get it that for whatever reason (whether worried about politics, optics etc or some getting it vs not) that they’ve held back, but think the positives would far outweigh any silly criticism
Only the best players should wear Jersey #24. It will be the Gophers' equivalent of wearing Pele's #10 for the Gophers football team.

We cannot forget to thank Running Backs coach Kenni Burns. Behind every great player is a great coach and mentor.

Thank you, Mo Ibrahim, for returning. You mentored the other RBs. You help solidify RTB culture.

Thanks for the memories!

Morgan can always be counted on to say the most safe, obvious, socially correct, "elite" thing...His future should be in politics. :)

Morgan can always be counted on to say the most safe, obvious, socially correct, "elite" thing...His future should be in politics. :)

Two things:

1) You obviously haven't been following politics the last 5 years.

2) Morgan was speaking from the heart. Mo certainly appreciated what Tanner said.

Its a nice sentiment, but you'd have to go back in history to do the same for a lot of other numbers..... Our players would have to wear triple digits.

I have no problem with recognizing Mo's #24 but DT's #39 should be first (or at the same time).

I was born in 1983 and probably started paying attention in late 80s /early 90s… can’t tell me Darrell Thompson, Tyrone Carter, Maroney, Barber, Ben Hamilton, Eslinger, Setterstrom, Utecht, Spaeth, Decker, Ron Johnson, Tyler Johnson, Bateman, Ibrahim, Winfield, Morgan, etc didn’t do enough to have some type of recognition in the stadium

Going back to my original post, this is why I’m not a fan of retiring numbers… you would simply run out of jersey numbers to issue.

I think the U should do 1-2 players a year, or make it black and white - win a national award, big ten POY, or inducted into the U Hall of Fame and you get your name up.

I don’t know the Vikings qualifications for their Ring of Honor, but it looks really classy in US Bank.
Agree 100%. This needs to happen.

I’m all for retiring/honoring jerseys: they have a name on the back. Retiring numbers is stupid.

You know this exists right? Their names and #s are up in the stadium. Only 5 of them.

Giel, Smith, Nagurski, Stephens, Bell.

They should start adding more though.
Beat me to it.

I think all the M-Club HoF football players should be honored in the arena bowl, not just downstairs in the HoF museum (If you haven't been down there yet, you should go).

The names retired does not mean no one wears their number. Too many guys to limit numbers in college or pro football.

Last edited:

Put an in-stadium QR code along the retired numbers that attaches a bio and highlights for all of our Gopher Greats that we want to honor. A simple way to educate our fans and visiting fans to promote our storied tradition of Gopher football.

Agree 100%. This needs to happen.

I'm thinking that certain basketball players could not be inducted because they never graduated. I'm guessing that would be the same here. Which of the players that you mentioned may fall into that category?

Top Bottom