Tanner Morgan injury watch thread

Do you really think “the doctors” are like this perfectly autonomous group that are entirely, absolutely impervious to any kind of “persuasion”?

Medical diagnosis is hardly black and white.
It would be great if they had a standard test for concussions where they could compare it to a ‘baseline’ to make it black and white.

It would be great if they had a standard test for concussions where they could compare it to a ‘baseline’ to make it black and white.
I'm pretty sure they do If I remember right. Players take a baseline impact concussion test in the preseason, and take after a suspected concussion

Jesus is everything some deep rooted conspiracy with you? Your takes are bizarre and awful...

I gotta think people who know you in real life have constant migraines from eyerolling at your awful opinions and takes on things.
Wellll, I mean it's been pretty much been the A topic in the NFL with the Tua situation and other team incidents soo....

A few years ago, the coach might have influenced a “leaner” decision on a head injury. I strongly suspect those days are long gone in a school like Minnesota. There just aren’t any circumstances in which a doctor from da “U” would ask a coach just how much he really needed a player to play. If he’s cleared he’ll play. If not, he won’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in pads and warming up even if they know he’s not cleared. Just to fog up PSU pre game prep. It’s a PJ kind of feint I’d like.

I'm pretty sure they do If I remember right. Players take a baseline impact concussion test in the preseason, and take after a suspected concussion
So if AJ Barker had been a QB he would never have had to miss a game?

Morgan made the trip to Happy Valley. I got a feeling he plays. I know making the trip doesn’t mean he’s playing, but I just have a feeling.

Morgan made the trip to Happy Valley. I got a feeling he plays. I know making the trip doesn’t mean he’s playing, but I just have a feeling.
Of course he made the trip. He's the team leader. If he doesn't play he will be coaching whoever does and being the first to encourage him. You can't measure a guy like Tanner Morgan by yards and completions.

Bolded:

these type of "common sense" things that fans always get .... it seems almost always go right over the head of PJ and the staff. That is my observation, on those types of things.

Fans can see it a mile away, and PJ is stubborn as a mule.

I agree with those saying that Tanner will 100% play so long as the medical staff clears him, which I think they will be able to do given that he was able to fly back with the team.

It was a punch from a fist to the side of a helmet. It wasn't like he got speared in the head by a 300lbs lineman.

To my point above: this is like when fans could see from a mile away that ZA was hurt and it was the wrong choice to leave him in there languishing and not able to help the team.

So ... of course, PJ leaves him in there. Until he's half dead.

This is PJ's biggest flaw. He won't change until it's way too late. Robb Smith, Sanford, ZA, and now maybe Morgan we'll see.
Good grief!

The following is impossible and could never be said?

"Hey coach, Tanner technically passed but it was borderline. In my opinion, he'd do a lot better next week if he didn't play, but it's your call. I'll sign off on it if you want me to."

No?

Also, are you a neurologist?

"Hey coach, Tanner technically passed but it was borderline. In my opinion, he'd do a lot better next week if he didn't play, but it's your call. I'll sign off on it if you want me to."

No?

Good lord man you are stuck on this. The medical staff will clear him or they won't. There won't be this ambiguous crap you want to keep on floating out there.

But in all honestly, if the medical staff did go to Fleck with something like that I think he would sit Morgan. And my proof to back that up is the fact that he didn't play Mo against Purdue as clearly Mo was borderline on being able to play or not, but Mo wanted to play.

I know the easy assumption is that all coaches are heartless monsters hell bent on winning at all costs....but I believe Fleck does give a crap about his players and would not put Morgan out there if he didn't think it was safe to do so.

I'm not a MD and have zero expertise in the matter, but I can't see how a player can be concussed and play the next week. Everything I've read suggests that multiple concussions in such a short time frame is very bad.

Tua played, Kenny Pickett for the Steelers was concussed last week and is set to play tomorrow, etc. So what do I know.

No?

Goddamn man, shut up. Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not a MD and have zero expertise in the matter, but I can't see how a player can be concussed and play the next week. Everything I've read suggests that multiple concussions in such a short time frame is very bad.

Tua played, Kenny Pickett for the Steelers was concussed last week and is set to play tomorrow, etc. So what do I know.
I know different people bounce back very differently from them. So that is fair that there is an assessment compared to a borderline preseason.

But that, in itself, is very hand-wavy. I doubt scientist on Earth can tell you objectively that a player's brain has "healed" based on some MRI scan or something like that, from a concussion.

Don't think we have that level of scientific knowledge

No?

My understanding of the the way the protocol and tests work, you don't barely pass. You either pass (no symptoms) or you don't (any symptoms or effects still present). If they pass, then they're cleared.

Now a coach could still decide to sit a player even if they are cleared. Tua for the Dolphins was cleared to play last Sunday but his coach still sat him.

My understanding of the the way the protocol and tests work, you don't barely pass. You either pass (no symptoms) or you don't (any symptoms or effects still present). If they pass, then they're cleared.

Now a coach could still decide to sit a player even if they are cleared. Tua for the Dolphins was cleared to play last Sunday but his coach still sat him.
Sure, could be like that. I have no idea.

The situation with Mo for Purdue also is one datapoint that Fleck went above and beyond what the medical team said, in favor of saving the player for later.

No chance Mo would even suit up if the medical team hadn't cleared him. I'm guessing it was a matter of if he (Mo) could go through warm-up drills without too much pain. Guessing it was too painful and so Fleck shut him down. Which is great.

But I also think that coming off the MSU win, at that time and what we were thinking it meant, Fleck didn't think we needed Mo to win.

But I also think that coming off the MSU win, at that time and what we were thinking it meant, Fleck didn't think we needed Mo to win.
Just for the sake of argument, let's say Fleck actually believed that we didn't need Mo to beat Purdue so he held him out at the start of the game. As the game was unfolding....seems like maybe he would have seen the lack of running game and turned to the AA tailback standing on the sideline and sent him in.

Fleck/medical staff/whoever felt it was in Mo's best interest not to play against Purdue so they kept him out even though Mo clearly wanted to play.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say Fleck actually believed that we didn't need Mo to beat Purdue so he held him out at the start of the game. As the game was unfolding....seems like maybe he would have seen the lack of running game and turned to the AA tailback standing on the sideline and sent him in.

Fleck/medical staff/whoever felt it was in Mo's best interest not to play against Purdue so they kept him out even though Mo clearly wanted to play.
I think once he pulled the lever to shut him down, there would be no way "undo" that. But also, I have no idea. I'm making all this up, just for the sake of discussion. Hopefully this is abundantly clear and I don't need to preface every single post with that disclaimer.

I think once he pulled the lever to shut him down, there would be no way "undo" that. But also, I have no idea. I'm making all this up, just for the sake of discussion. Hopefully this is abundantly clear and I don't need to preface every single post with that disclaimer.
Through at least the 1st quarter, mo was standing on the sidelines in full pads with his helmet.

No?

NO! You pass through levels to "return to play". Go ahead and read what I posted. This is not a 1-100 scale. NOT how this works. READ IT
If Tanner were able to return to activities and not have ANY symptoms, then he could play. Only if he passes through these levels though.
There is no grey area when it comes to college or high school sports, sorry.

Top Bottom