Take a deep breath, it’ll be okay.

I have no idea if Payne was included in the alleged Carrington/JOJ dissension, but it doesn’t seem from his effort and playing style that he would have been. But that list of teams shows two things. Some teams aren’t as worried about free throw percentages as posters here are, which by the way at end of year he improved dramatically. Also not sure if we realized what we had here? Apparently some teams also aren’t put off by, "can’t shoot", can’t handle the ball", "bad foot work", and "can’t pass"?

Now everyone’s only concern will be "can’t turn down the money"!

IF the U isn’t, can’t, or won’t shell out the cash to keep a Payne level player then the wet dreams that the Never Ben posters have of replacing him with someone who will magically lure high end players to come here, in the current environment, will turn into nightmares!
I'm not a "never Ben guy" I have gone back and forth on him, I really like him but he has a long way to go on his journey as a coach. However, the quality of the coach and NIL are definitely related. You get a big time coach in here and the NIL money will flow. People that give that money want it to produce wins.

My guess, despite all of the rumors, is that Payne and Ben could have worked out their differences (if they had them) if Ben could have helped him get the right NIL money. I think it is likely that Payne and Ben talked about it and Ben ended up telling him that his hands were tied - that's what he was worth here considering the pot that Ben has to work with.

To him unless it is Ben Johnson leaving it is the end of the world.

I have never hated an enemy as much as some people hate Ben Johnson...so odd.
It's the mentality of having head coaches with training wheels that is opposed for some of us. Our last two head coaches have come with the expectation of on-the-job-training as part of their hiring. That is the problem because it demeans and diminishes the program. It ghettoizes the program.

@skiumah1 my point is, I'm just curious your thoughts, what is it that Medved would do that Thorson couldn't have counseled BJ something like "well at CO St we would have done this ..." ?

Maybe BJ said forget that, I'm going to do whatever I think makes sense to me. I'm just saying.
I agree - I think Medved has his way of doing things. Ben has his way. Maybe Thorson had more input there and less here - Or vice versa.

I'm wondering if Ben is open to Thorson talking about what worked / didn't at CSU.

He should be, if he's not.

Seems like CSU has done OK without Thorson, although I still think he's a solid assistant to have.

I'd also assume Thorson would not be part of the staff if it did get to the point where Medved took this job. Thorson has tied himself to Ben at this point IMO.

Last edited:

I agree - I think Medved has his way of doing things. Ben has his way. Maybe Thorson had more input there and less here - Or vice versa.

I'm wondering if Ben is open to Thorson talking about what worked / didn't at CSU.

He should be, if he's not.

Seems like CSU has done OK without Thorson, although I still think he's a solid assistant to have.

I'd also assume Thorson would not be part of the staff if it did get to the point where Medved took this job. Thorson has tied himself to Ben at this point IMO.
I’m pretty sure that both Medved and Johnson consider Thorson a coaching mentor. He think he has consistently opened doors for both of them.

He’s moee than a solid assistant. Look up all the articles on David Roddy and Thorson from CSU. Rosdy will tell you out of all the coaches he talked toThorson saw more angles than anyone.

I’m pretty sure that both Medved and Johnson consider Thorson a coaching mentor. He think he has consistently opened doors for both of them.

He’s moee than a solid assistant. Look up all the articles on David Roddy and Thorson from CSU. Rosdy will tell you out of all the coaches he talked toThorson saw more angles than anyone.
Fair enough. Then maybe he needs more say on this team.

Top Bottom