Taison Chatman to announce decision Tues. Sept. 20

In the meta-verse, I'm still sitting in the De La Salle conference room after the Reid Travis press conference, with the lights off, still wondering what the hell happened?
Oh yeah and that poster that went by the name Guy Fawkes…..

In the meta-verse, I'm still sitting in the De La Salle conference room after the Reid Travis press conference, with the lights off, still wondering what the hell happened?
What happened? I didnt follow Mn highschool ball or recruiting that closely then

What happened? I didnt follow Mn highschool ball or recruiting that closely then
This was fall of 2013, so fall recruiting cycle for the class of 2014, which famously contained 3 McDonald's All-Americans from Minnesota in Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, and Reid Travis. Reid Travis took an official visit to Minnesota, which a lot of the really big time in-state recruits don't do. Rashad, Tyus, Chet Holmgren, Kendall Brown, Jalen Suggs, Matthew Hurt, Gary Trent, Tre Jones, etc., none of them took official visits to Minnesota, but Reid Travis did and that was seen as kind of a big deal (and so did Dawson Garcia actually, though of course he didn't commit here out of high school).

Reid Travis I believe was also shadowing classes at the U, and appeared to have a great time at the football game on his official visit, which from what I can tell, would have been the Nebraska game in 2013, where we won as double digit underdogs. Nebraska was still kind of seen as an 800 pound gorilla at the time, at least from the perspective of fans of a Minnesota program that hadn't even gone .500 in conference in several years, but we won, and fans stormed the field, I actually think I was there. Some buzz starts to generate around Reid Travis, wow this borderline 5 star recruit seems seriously interested in staying home. Reid Travis announces a commitment ceremony at his high school, open to the public. That old Tubby Smith was such a lazy recruiter but this Pitino guy is really gonna pull it off. You can still go to his 247 profile and see 9 crystal ball predictions, every single one to Minnesota. Then, I think literally hours before the commitment ceremony, they decide it's no longer open to the public, and he commits to Stanford instead. Speculation then immediately begins about whether he might grad transfer back to Minnesota one day, akin to the Kerwin Walton transfer talk that started like halfway through this past season.

A big what-if, similar to Royce White for Tubby. Kinda feel like if they got Rakeem Buckles in, Andre Hollins didn't get injured against Wisconsin, and Reid Travis committed here, they maybe could have gotten to the tournament in both of Pitino's first two seasons.

This was fall of 2013, so fall recruiting cycle for the class of 2014, which famously contained 3 McDonald's All-Americans from Minnesota in Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, and Reid Travis. Reid Travis took an official visit to Minnesota, which a lot of the really big time in-state recruits don't do. Rashad, Tyus, Chet Holmgren, Kendall Brown, Jalen Suggs, Matthew Hurt, Gary Trent, Tre Jones, etc., none of them took official visits to Minnesota, but Reid Travis did and that was seen as kind of a big deal (and so did Dawson Garcia actually, though of course he didn't commit here out of high school).

Reid Travis I believe was also shadowing classes at the U, and appeared to have a great time at the football game on his official visit, which from what I can tell, would have been the Nebraska game in 2013, where we won as double digit underdogs. Nebraska was still kind of seen as an 800 pound gorilla at the time, at least from the perspective of fans of a Minnesota program that hadn't even gone .500 in conference in several years, but we won, and fans stormed the field, I actually think I was there. Some buzz starts to generate around Reid Travis, wow this borderline 5 star recruit seems seriously interested in staying home. Reid Travis announces a commitment ceremony at his high school, open to the public. That old Tubby Smith was such a lazy recruiter but this Pitino guy is really gonna pull it off. You can still go to his 247 profile and see 9 crystal ball predictions, every single one to Minnesota. Then, I think literally hours before the commitment ceremony, they decide it's no longer open to the public, and he commits to Stanford instead. Speculation then immediately begins about whether he might grad transfer back to Minnesota one day, akin to the Kerwin Walton transfer talk that started like halfway through this past season.

A big what-if, similar to Royce White for Tubby. Kinda feel like if they got Rakeem Buckles in, Andre Hollins didn't get injured against Wisconsin, and Reid Travis committed here, they maybe could have gotten to the tournament in both of Pitino's first two seasons.
solid recap!

He was legit gonna commit to Minnesota, then Stanford caught wind of it and through him a bag?

Back to Chatman, too bad we arent getting him but I suppose in some ways its better to have the band aid ripped off and know we are out and then focus on other guys. Its a year away so 10,000 things can happen but PG is looking like a MAJOR hole. Maybe Cooper will be an All American and want to stay another year :)

It was known that Stanford was his dream school but he definitely was the one who was most realistic

Back to Chatman, too bad we arent getting him but I suppose in some ways its better to have the band aid ripped off and know we are out and then focus on other guys. Its a year away so 10,000 things can happen but PG is looking like a MAJOR hole. Maybe Cooper will be an All American and want to stay another year :)
Not seeing it as a MAJOR hole. Believe it’s going to work out. It’s filled for next season and possibly for the following. Between recruits and the transfer portal, makes me optimistic.

Top Bottom