Syracuse: Pregame Thread

Damm, Gray is moving well this soon with that high ankle sprain. Max needs to stick with throwing fballs.

And Syracuse is at an even bigger disadvantage because their dome is 90 degrees inside. Carrier Dome doesn't have air conditioning ... what a fail.

Right and isn't the named sponsor the same company that makes Carrier air conditioners?

I've have some ocean front property in Stillwater I need to sell You.

I was there when the videos were being made. It does appear as though Marqueis is progressing pretty quickly, but this video proves nothing.

Hey, here's some trivia I dug up regarding the LAST visit of the Orange to Minneapolis. It should soak up 25 seconds between now and kickoff for you. Thank me later.

In 1996, the #25 ranked Orangemen came to the Metrodome and were upset by the Gophers, 35-33. Fun Fact the Orangemen were led by eventual six-time pro-bowler and perennial NFC runner-up, Donovan McNabb. Corey Sauter, whose NFL career was less prestigious but included an exotic stint with the Barcelona Dragons, started the game for the Gophers. Also on the roster for the Gophers that day was Spergon Wynn, who, like McNabb, would go on to be a much maligned Vikings quarterback.

In their losing effort, the #25 Orangemen of Syracuse rushed for 301 yards. The Gophers were vaulted to the upset victory largely by Tyrone Carter, who recovered and returned two fumbles for touchdowns within one minute of clock time. Wide receiver Tutu Atwell had an outstanding day receiving for the Gophers, with 126 yards and a touchdown.

Was DL the guy that got banged up on their last drive that stopped the clock when he couldn't get off the field? For the other side of the stadium I thought it was more of a leg injury but that isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I was watching on tv, I think his name was Minnesota.

This is scary. My original comment was a joke. Neither You or pig man could see that? yikes

I figured it might have been but I thought I would clear it up in-case than either wasn't the case or someone misread your post.

CBS Preview: Syracuse Orange at Minnesota Golden Gophers

The game comes down to: Can Minnesota slow down the Orange attack? Syracuse has scored at least 28 points in every game this season and is one of the better passing teams in the country. The Gophers lead the league in pass efficiency defense (84.0) and have made five interceptions through three games.

Prediction: Minnesota 28, Syracuse 24

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...w-syracuse-orange-at-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

STrib: U's Wells proves them wrong

Once a 'zero star' recruit ignored by Florida schools, Derrick Wells is making a big impact on the U defense.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/170430056.html

Go Gophers!!

to all the recruitniks and star gazers out there, the last paragraph sums it up.

claeys: "The funny thing was, (wells) had no stars. Then all of a sudden [after the Gophers' offer], they give him two. So that tells you what that's worth," Claeys said. "When you get a chance to see people live, you have to trust your own feelings. I know some people count stars, and think we don't know what the hell we're doing. But we're going to recruit kids who we think can play, no matter what anybody else thinks."

CBS Preview: Syracuse Orange at Minnesota Golden Gophers

The game comes down to: Can Minnesota slow down the Orange attack? Syracuse has scored at least 28 points in every game this season and is one of the better passing teams in the country. The Gophers lead the league in pass efficiency defense (84.0) and have made five interceptions through three games.

Prediction: Minnesota 28, Syracuse 24

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...w-syracuse-orange-at-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota has averaged 34 points per game, and has not scored less than 28. More importantly, Minnesota's defense is averaging 19 points given up. Syracuse's defense is averaging 37 points given up.
I hate to contradict two Big 10 Bloggers and CBS sports, But the question mark actually is Syracuse's defense. They have been unable to stop anyone.

to all the recruitniks and star gazers out there, the last paragraph sums it up.

claeys: "The funny thing was, (wells) had no stars. Then all of a sudden [after the Gophers' offer], they give him two. So that tells you what that's worth," Claeys said. "When you get a chance to see people live, you have to trust your own feelings. I know some people count stars, and think we don't know what the hell we're doing. But we're going to recruit kids who we think can play, no matter what anybody else thinks."

There is no such thing as a no, or zero, star recruit. When a recruit is not rated at least 2 stars, it means that "No Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything about the player; a prospect that only a coach really knew about" Source: http://www.rivals.com/aboutrankings.asp?Sport=1

In short, the last paragraph sums up nothing. Rivals likely evaluated Wells after the Gopher offer and rated him a 5.4/2 star player (just .1 away from a 3 star ranking). If Wells turns out to be a star, it also proves nothing. NOBODY is arguing that a player that is unrated or low rated on Rivals cannot become a star or that every 5 star kid will live up to that billing in college. The argument (backed up by statistics) is that a larger percentage of higher ranked kids turn out to be impact players in college than lower ranked kids.

We went through 10 years of recruiting classes filled with kids who were ranked low (or unranked) by Rivals and the results speak for themselves: ~20 games under .500 in the Big Ten and scarcely any players in the pros. There were the MBIII's, Eslinger's, and Decker's that came through during that time frame, but there were not enough of them to have any real success. It's going to be tough to find enough good 2 star players to beat Michigan, Michigan State, and Nebraska.

Minnesota has averaged 34 points per game, and has not scored less than 28. More importantly, Minnesota's defense is averaging 19 points given up. Syracuse's defense is averaging 37 points given up.
I hate to contradict two Big 10 Bloggers and CBS sports, But the question mark actually is Syracuse's defense. They have been unable to stop anyone.

I could not agree with you more...Defense has been the Achilles Heel for the Orange. This may complicate things even a little more regarding their #1 Cornerback:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...brandon_reddish_abs.html#incart_river_default

I don't know if it's an injury or discipline issue, but if he's not practicing, he's not playing.

CFN: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1223037.html

Syracuse (1-2) at Minnesota (3-0) Sept. 22, 8:00, Big Ten Network

Here’s The Deal: There are three remaining unbeaten Big Ten teams. Minnesota is one of them. Sure, the spotless record has come against marginal competition, but the Golden Gophers are in no position to split hairs at this stage of their evolution under second-year head coach Jerry Kill. They’ve survived a couple of close calls with UNLV and Western Michigan, closing out the Broncos without injured star QB MarQueis Gray. Each win brings Minnesota an important step closer to bowl eligibility. The good news on Syracuse? It snapped a nasty seven-game losing streak that dated back to last fall. The rub? A second-half comeback was needed to get past FCS Stony Brook. The Orange had Northwestern on the ropes in its other Big Ten matchup of 2012, and played surprisingly well in a loss to USC two weeks ago.

Why Syracuse Might Win: A Minnesota defense that has played well so far is about to face the best passing attack it’s seen this month. Orange senior Ryan Nassib is off to the best start of his career, already throwing for nine touchdowns and more than 1,100 yards. He’s done a very nice job of spreading the ball around to receivers Marcus Sales, Jarrod West and Alec Lemon. If Nassib can force the Gophers to commit extra resources to the secondary, it’ll help open up space for complementary backs Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley.

Why Minnesota Might Win: So who is Max Shortell, and why should he concern a tattered Syracuse D? The redshirt freshman from Kansas played well in the first extensive action of his college career. He came off the bench when Gray was injured to throw three touchdown passes and help lead the Gophers to a victory. Shortell might be the program’s best pure passer, which means TE John Rabe and WR A.J. Barker, who caught three touchdown passes last week, because more dangerous in the passing game. The Gophers also have an effective Donnell Kirkwood to fuel the ground game.

What To Watch Out For: The numbers look good for the Minnesota pass defense, but will they stay that way against a more developed passing game? Ranked No. 5 nationally in pass efficiency defense, the Gophers have only given up two touchdown passes in three games. D.L. Wilhite and Ra’Shede Hageman have helped the cause by getting a push up front, as have aggressive DBs Troy Stoudemire and Derrick Wells. If Syracuse has issues completing passes downfield, Minnesota will have aced one of its key tests for this week’s game.

What Will Happen: Minnesota and Syracuse only seem to play in tight games, so it goes to figure that this one at TCF Bank Stadium will be in doubt deep into the fourth quarter. Shortell has a little something special about him, a level of poise and moxie that’ll prevent him from becoming unnerved by his first career start. He and Nassib will both put up gaudy numbers, trading jabs throughout an entertaining game. The Gophers are learning how to pull out the close ones under Kill, a lesson that’ll serve them well against the Orange this weekend.

CFN Prediction: Minnesota 34 … Syracuse 30

The Washington Senators are in the playoffs for the first time since 1933. Baltimore could get in for the first time in about 20 years. Oakland and Chicago were both consensus picks to finish closer to the basement then in the heart of the playoff chase.

Now the Gopher Pass Defense is ranked No. 5 nationally in pass efficiency defense?

"So you're saying there's a chance? :)

CFN: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1223037.html

Syracuse (1-2) at Minnesota (3-0) Sept. 22, 8:00, Big Ten Network

CFN Prediction: Minnesota 34 … Syracuse 30

That's all well and good, but this guy made tons of mistakes regarding Shortell. He's a sophomore and had 2 starts (granted he played terribly) at Michigan and Purdue last year.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

That's all well and good, but this guy made tons of mistakes regarding Shortell. He's a sophomore and had 2 starts (granted he played terribly) at Michigan and Purdue last year.

CFN isn't really known for their accuracy anymore. They used to - prior to being bought out by Scout - be a decent source of information. Now I think they do have more than their fair share of errors, mainly due to basically doing a flyover of each team.

^^ You are correct. It has moved to a pick'em as of today.

I'm cutting them a little slack. We've had Gopher fans saying he throws better than Hohensee or Sauter so THEY'VE forgotten about Michigan and Purdue too! :cool:

CFN isn't really known for their accuracy anymore. They used to - prior to being bought out by Scout - be a decent source of information. Now I think they do have more than their fair share of errors, mainly due to basically doing a flyover of each team.
I've beat this drum before, but I've had it in for CFN ever since they posted a Notre Dame preview that included a sentence about the importance of highly-touted recruit Matt James. This was a problem for me, as Matt James had been dead for three months when they posted that. Pete Fiutak is a lazy, clueless imbecile.

ESPN weighs in...http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

SYRACUSE at MINNESOTA

Brian Bennett: Love the 3-0 start by the Gophers, but this is a big step up in competition from the first three games. And while Max Shortell should be fine, Minnesota will miss the playmaking abilities of MarQueis Gray. A late turnover dooms their chances, and Ryan Nassib throws for more than 300 yards as the Gophers get Orange-crushed. ... Syracuse 31, Minnesota 28

Adam Rittenberg: I'm impressed with the Gophers so far, and they'll pick up some wins in the Big Ten. But Syracuse desperately needs this one after a 1-2 start, and Nassib is by far the best quarterback Minnesota has faced. Shortell has some ups and downs in his first start of the season at quarterback, and Nassib rallies the Orange in the fourth quarter for the win. ... Syracuse 28, Minnesota 27

Hey Minnesota faithful,

This is a huge game for the 'Cuse. The Orangemen desperately need to get to .500 heading into BE play and road win over a B1G team at night would do wonders for our team.

Now, I haven't seen a single bit of Minnesota this year. I only know you guys are 3-0 and will likely pack the house on Saturday with a loud fired up crowd.

After reading some of your posts I have to disagree with some people who would favor a conservative approach to attack Syracuse, keeping our high octane offense off the field. If i'm Minnesota, I don't hold back and I throw it deep. Syracuse's defense has been a bit of a letdown this year getting burned on way too many big plays for the kind of veteran secondary we have. Too much poor tackling and coverage even led to FCS Stony Brook to pull off 2 monster plays for TD's.

If Minnesota tries to grind it out and Nassib and Co. are moving down the field like we have been the Golden Gophers may find themselves in a hole in a hurry and by the time they open it up it may be too late. Our defense has shut down conservative offense and gotten off the field. I hope Minnesota tries to pound the ball and I hope Syracuse brings the heat on your QB, who even though he is a backup is irrelevant as the 'Cuse has been smoked by a few backups as of late.

Who knows how this game is going to play out as trying to predict Syracuse is about as feasible as bleeding stone. You never know what our going to get. Wish I was going to be at this game. Good luck! Go 'Cuse!

Top Bottom