SYRACUSE FORUM THREAD -- Interesting Read / ZERO RESPECT FROM MINNESOTA

I look at how Georgia Tech ran allllllll over Syracuse, which is obviously the Gophers' strength, and I see a game very similiar to the San Jose St. one. Gophers run for 250+ and win by 3 scores

Not sure if you follow Georgia Tech at all but they have sort of a gimmicky offense that if you've never faced before, you don't know what to do (Very similar to the Syracuse zone in basketball). They run a Triple Option. It doesn't look to be that complicated when you watch it, but no one seems to be able to stop it (Except Virgina Tech because they time blitz the A-gap and blow up the play before it starts). Plus the Syracuse coaches decided it was a good time to do an experimental defensive shift from a 4-3 (which was ranked 19th in the country) to a 3-4 (because someone read somewhere that was key to stopping the Triple Option). These are Georgia Tech's stats across the season:

Elon - 368 yards at 7.4/carry
Duke - 344 yards at 5.7/carry
UNC - 324 yards at 4.6/carry
Miami - 335 yards at 5.4/carry
BYU - 237 yards at 4.6/carry
SU - 394 yards at 5.9/carry
UVA - 394 yards at 7.6/carry
Pitt - 276 yards at 5.2/carry
Clem - 248 yards at 5.5/carry
AAMU - 428 yards at 8.2/carry
UGA - 263 yards at 4.5/carry

Awful game to watch for an SU fan. Watching your team get chop blocked to death, 4 and 5 yard chunks at a time. Luckily we won't play them again for another 6 years due to the ACC scheduling. I don't know what kind of a formation that you guys run Cobb out of. I pray that it isn't a Triple Option though. The BC running back, who leads the nation in rushing, is a run out of more classical, single back sets and this is how he fared in the weeks leading up to Syracuse:

UNC - 172 yards (6.6/carry)
VA Tech - 166 yards (5.0/carry)
NMS - 295 yards (9.8/carry)
NC State - 339 yards (8.1/carry)
Maryland - 263 yards (8.2/carry)
Syracuse - 29 yards (3.2/carry)

I'm just glad we play the Syracuse football team and not their message board fans. Those guys sound really mad.

The guys at syracusefan.com seem to be made of a similar composition as the guys here. Some good posters. Some sensible ones. Some inflammatory ones. Overall a decent bunch but they do indeed look for things to get riled up about.

A word of warning though: the Syracuse newspaper's site, www.syracuse.com, is often confused as the Syracuse site. They have some of the most vile posters known to man. I'm convinced that the newspaper hired someone to make posts under several accounts to insult and thus, drive up traffic. They by no means represent the Syracuse community.

The guys at syracusefan.com seem to be made of a similar composition as the guys here. Some good posters. Some sensible ones. Some inflammatory ones. Overall a decent bunch but they do indeed look for things to get riled up about.

A word of warning though: the Syracuse newspaper's site, www.syracuse.com, is often confused as the Syracuse site. They have some of the most vile posters known to man. I'm convinced that the newspaper hired someone to make posts under several accounts to insult and thus, drive up traffic. They by no means represent the Syracuse community.

Jeezo Beezo, the same thing the commentors on the www.StarTribune.com display. Only I would be willing to bet the STrib commentors are dumber.

Not sure if you follow Georgia Tech at all but they have sort of a gimmicky offense that if you've never faced before, you don't know what to do (Very similar to the Syracuse zone in basketball). They run a Triple Option. It doesn't look to be that complicated when you watch it, but no one seems to be able to stop it (Except Virgina Tech because they time blitz the A-gap and blow up the play before it starts). Plus the Syracuse coaches decided it was a good time to do an experimental defensive shift from a 4-3 (which was ranked 19th in the country) to a 3-4 (because someone read somewhere that was key to stopping the Triple Option). These are Georgia Tech's stats across the season: Elon - 368 yards at 7.4/carry Duke - 344 yards at 5.7/carry UNC - 324 yards at 4.6/carry Miami - 335 yards at 5.4/carry BYU - 237 yards at 4.6/carry SU - 394 yards at 5.9/carry UVA - 394 yards at 7.6/carry Pitt - 276 yards at 5.2/carry Clem - 248 yards at 5.5/carry AAMU - 428 yards at 8.2/carry UGA - 263 yards at 4.5/carry Awful game to watch for an SU fan. Watching your team get chop blocked to death, 4 and 5 yard chunks at a time. Luckily we won't play them again for another 6 years due to the ACC scheduling. I don't know what kind of a formation that you guys run Cobb out of. I pray that it isn't a Triple Option though. The BC running back, who leads the nation in rushing, is a run out of more classical, single back sets and this is how he fared in the weeks leading up to Syracuse: UNC - 172 yards (6.6/carry) VA Tech - 166 yards (5.0/carry) NMS - 295 yards (9.8/carry) NC State - 339 yards (8.1/carry) Maryland - 263 yards (8.2/carry) Syracuse - 29 yards (3.2/carry)

That's a pretty dumb stat. BC still ran for 191 yards that game. Northwestern ran for 206. Clemson 156. FSU 225. Tulane 121.

I don't care if Cobb gets 100, but I think the gophers will rush for 150-200.

Just came across this gem on that Syracuse Forum...

"That's funny, Syracuse will be one of the hardest-hitting teams, if not the hardest, that the Gophers will face this year. I'd rather them think we're soft though."

Preposterous Statement of the Year nominee?

Seriously, do they think there will be a game featuring each team's fan message board?

He didn't say hardest. He said hardest-hitting. Maybe those guys really tackle well.

Either way, we played Wisconsin and Michigan St. in the last two games. I'm not sure there are a whole lot of harder hitting teams in the country than those two.

Either way, we played Wisconsin and Michigan St. in the last two games. I'm not sure there are a whole lot of harder hitting teams in the country than those two.

Maybe he meant hardest-hitting orange team.

Whatever "knowledge" comes from this forum must forever be filtered through the revealing fact that a great majority of opinions voiced here, not so long ago, gave Adam Weber a better chance than Eric Decker at making a career in the NFL. We have yet to reach the point at which we can credibly beef about bowl selections and downgrade opponents.

Whatever "knowledge" comes from this forum must forever be filtered through the revealing fact that a great majority of opinions voiced here, not so long ago, gave Adam Weber a better chance than Eric Decker at making a career in the NFL. We have yet to reach the point at which we can credibly beef about bowl selections and downgrade opponents.

Great majority? I can't recall anyone saying that.

Does less than 5% equal majority now days?

I think somehow their fans are taking our disappointment in 'defaulting' back into the Texas Bowl as a personal attach on their team and program. It's pretty entertaining reading material.

Who thought Adam Weber would start in the NFL, he went as far as I thought and he could and that was 3rd string, decker caught everything his way and ran superb routes, only an idiot would think he couldn't make it, not even the great Brewster could ruin Decker's ability.

That doesn't make any sense. We won that game.

From what I could gather, "touchdown Jackrabbits" was a popular sound bite on KFAN after the SDSU game. This was before KFAN became the radio home of the Gophers of course, once KFAN had a vested interest in the Gophers, attitudes changed. But the phrase became popular with trolls.

From what I could gather, "touchdown Jackrabbits" was a popular sound bite on KFAN after the SDSU game. This was before KFAN became the radio home of the Gophers of course, once KFAN had a vested interest in the Gophers, attitudes changed. But the phrase became popular with trolls.

I know the origin (and they do it still on KFAN to this day), but it doesn't make an sense in the context of expecting a win, given that we actually beat SDSU.

I guess they don't play that sound clip at the times when I listen to KFAN. I listen around 7 am and around 4 pm when I'm in my car. I agree, if you want a sound clip to rip on the Gophers, it would probably make sense to pick one from a game the Gophers actually lost. An ugly win is still a win. It doesn't surprise me, however, that trolls would run with an illogical clip.

Decker has had a very good career at Denver and has stayed pretty healthy after his first year. Looking back, Weber had a habit of throwing the ball high, stretching out his receivers and betting on them out jumping the DB to the ball. Worked well with Decker. The problem is that leaves the receiver open to a vicious hit. Even without that, often they'll land hard, not being able to cushion the fall. Decker wasn't the only guy who got hurt that way.

That's a Gopher QB habit that hasn't gone away. Hope they can exploit the Syracuse D when they sellout to stop the run. Also hope they can do it without always trying to stretch that Wideout or TE up over the middle.

Upnorthkid, Kill and company are going to have to go to great lengths to sell a "We don't get ANY respect" theme to their players for this game. Even worse, Gopherholer's natural "The Media HATES us" is going to be tough to justify this time around.

Any bets on which of them is going to try harder to get that done? :cool:

I'm looking forward to the game against Syracuse, I didn't think I was trying to write off Syracuse as a whole because I think the ACC conference was incredibly weak and the Big 10 was a much tougher conference overall this year. That said the spread is about right, it is going to be a tough physical football game with a lot of defensive play. I don't think either side is going to be able to gain a lot of traction offensively for at least the first half of football. I'm not disappointed in the Texas bowl, I just didn't want to play Texas Tech again, that was my beef, and I got my wish but the air fair is a little tough to swing(I will make do) so at least were going to have a good game to watch and travel too as fans. I have not been to Houston so I'm looking forward to it.
This is going to be one of the better more evenly matched up bowl games this year. Yeah I am a little more hyped up about the Gophers chances but I think we have a good chance to win. RawPhenonmenon brought up some interesting points and shows that Syracuse had a good season like us so this should be a good tough football game. We just played them last year so a lot of the players should be familiar with each other with the exception of the quarterbacks for this game.

I'm looking forward to the game against Syracuse, I didn't think I was trying to write off Syracuse as a whole because I think the ACC conference was incredibly weak and the Big 10 was a much tougher conference overall this year. That said the spread is about right, it is going to be a tough physical football game with a lot of defensive play. I don't think either side is going to be able to gain a lot of traction offensively for at least the first half of football. I'm not disappointed in the Texas bowl, I just didn't want to play Texas Tech again, that was my beef, and I got my wish but the air fair is a little tough to swing(I will make do) so at least were going to have a good game to watch and travel too as fans. I have not been to Houston so I'm looking forward to it.
This is going to be one of the better more evenly matched up bowl games this year. Yeah I am a little more hyped up about the Gophers chances but I think we have a good chance to win. RawPhenonmenon brought up some interesting points and shows that Syracuse had a good season like us so this should be a good tough football game. We just played them last year so a lot of the players should be familiar with each other with the exception of the quarterbacks for this game.

wow, gd2, that's a huge swing from your attitude previously in this thread. Well played! :)

I watched a couple o Syracuse games

wow, gd2, that's a huge swing from your attitude previously in this thread. Well played! :)

After watching Cuse a couple times on the net, I decided I runnoth smack out of the mouth to much about them earlier. They have a pretty good defense the Georgia Tech game to me was an aberration, Georgia Tech gave them fits off the option read and blocked well, and Georia Tech gave Georgia everything they wanted to against the Bulldogs, could have really actually beaten Georgia and Georgia is a pretty good football team. The GA Tech loss was probably Syracuse worst loss as that is a team where they let the game get away from them. I for one am super pumped about not playing Texas Tech, playing the Red Raiders would not have challenged the Gophers to play a good game again and would have been a huge let down. That and the Syracuse fans that came to the bank last year were fairly easy to visit with about football so looking forward to seeing those fans again.

I don't think Michigan is going to get super pumped to play K State in the Chicken wings bowl and Nebraska looks to be a little overmatched against Georgia. The rest of the Big 10 should have favorable matchup's Stanford is good but I really think Michigan State is going to take them down and Wisconsin and Iowa although both have tough matchups shoud be able to win their games. Bucky fans better enjoy Orlando this year, it is there last ride on New Years day for awhile. You don't replace that many good seniors Borland and Allen and Kelly of defense that easy and there main wide receiver weapon Aberderis is not likely easily to be replaced.

Can't say I blame them for taking offense. Some of the things I've seen written by Gopher fans have been cringe-worthy. A decade ago, playing Syracuse in a bowl game would've been a huge deal. Two years ago, playing in any bowl game would've been a huge deal. The prevailing notion that Syracuse (and this bowl) is somehow beneath us is ludicrous. I'm confident Jerry will get the team more fired up for this game than the fans are.

Eff Them! Suckacuse is a crappy team in a two team conference that lost two games this year by 56 points...and one was to a unranked team. We will win, win big and beat these Orangina cry babies into the turf! Bank on it...plus 20 going away.

Top Bottom