Sweet Caroline: A tradition at Pitt

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
I know this is used at many sporting events and hope the UM gets it going. This is a song the whole crowd, young and old, can get into.

I sent this to Maturi as he said he was not familiar with it or music in general.
http://www.pigskinu.com/pittsburgh.html

I realize that picking a song that everyone likes will be difficult. Some people can clearly be negative about the little things just to be a smart ass about things.

Personally I like the song and would feet in well with the vast majority of the people in attendance and that is critical.

We already play Sweet Caroline, as part of a medley of overplayed stadium songs, between the third and fourth quarters. I can't think of the other songs that are included, nor do I want to - they're all bad. But, the casual fan seems to enjoy them, so I'll just make a run to the loo at that time.

Instead of trying to fabricate tradition, we should just let these things happen organically. Also, is it that important? Game day atmosphere will improve when the on-the-field product does. No song can pump up a crowd in a half empty stadium. The good news is, we have some diehards to lay the groundwork. If Kill can make the team competitive again, all the other types of fans will show up and new traditions will be born.

Instead of trying to fabricate tradition, we should just let these things happen organically. Also, is it that important? Game day atmosphere will improve when the on-the-field product does. No song can pump up a crowd in a half empty stadium. The good news is, we have some diehards to lay the groundwork. If Kill can make the team competitive again, all the other types of fans will show up and new traditions will be born.

I would agree with this 100%

I know this is used at many sporting events and hope the UM gets it going. This is a song the whole crowd, young and old, can get into.

I sent this to Maturi as he said he was not familiar with it or music in general.

It's not really a tradition at Pitt. It's something that everybody is starting to copy. In fact, the Gophers did play that a little last year, and they mentioned it on the replay of the Gopher-Iowa game BTN replayed over the weekend.

I'd rather do something that's a little different. I've always liked when they play Apache after the third quarter, because the students get into it. Maybe they're copying others on that, too, but at least it's not as widespread as Sweet Caroline.

What I dislike even more, though, is when they try to fit in about three things after the third quarter -- Apache AND another song (sometimes Sweet Caroline and sometimes it's that one song that all the students jump to at the start of games) AND an annoying ad. Pick one thing, let the studnets get into it, and leave it alone.

I'm in favor, but only if you can get the row of cute Pitt chicks in the halter tops from the video to take over the rest of my row. I'm not putting my arms around the shoulders of the drunken slobs I go to games with now.

And here I thought the only thing Maturi didn't know anything about was running an athletic dept. I guess I under-estimated him.

I was at the homecoming game last year and I thought 50,000 people singing Sweet Caroline was great. Keep it going.

We already play Sweet Caroline, as part of a medley of overplayed stadium songs, between the third and fourth quarters. I can't think of the other songs that are included, nor do I want to - they're all bad. But, the casual fan seems to enjoy them, so I'll just make a run to the loo at that time.

I feel the same way.

Why not something different.

1. Intro song before the Rouser. The HBO "John Adams" intro
2. Third quarter. "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora

I still think we should do "Killing Me Softly"........the whole crowd shouting out Kill would be sweet.

i know the snobs and the oldies will hate it, but stadium music should get people up on their feet singing.

its not nature boy, but i guarantee it will be a hit:

i know the snobs and the oldies will hate it, but stadium music should get people up on their feet singing.

The snobs and oldies would hate it. Tarzan Boy? EVERYBODY would do the Tarzan yell !!!

For the snobs,the oldies,the students, and visiting fans at the end of the 3rd quarter "The Club at the End of the Street"....Elton John

And here I thought the only thing Maturi didn't know anything about was running an athletic dept. I guess I under-estimated him.

I can't believe Maturi didn't know about this song.

I remember this song going back for at least 10+ years. It pretty much is a tradition here. Right?

I can't believe Maturi didn't know about this song.

I remember this song going back for at least 10+ years. It pretty much is a tradition here. Right?

This is right from his email; Please know that when I stated you do not want me making the decision it was meant I do not know one song from another. I am not hesitant to make decisions that I am responsible for or have the information to do so."

He does go to games so how can he not know the song?

BigTenChamps1899 said: "i know the snobs and the oldies will hate it, but stadium music should get people up on their feet singing"

All fans, young and old, do get into it when it has been played at TCF. At least Sweet Caroline is one that we old f@rts recognize and can enjoy.

I actually like when they let the fans pick the song at the end of the third quarter. Throw in a classic rock song, new pop hit, and something by Michael Jackson or Madonna and let the fans pick. Why do we have to hear the same song every game?

And it was written about an adolescent Caroline Kennedy so the pedophile crowd should be on board.

Seriously, though, if you've been to Fenway since they started doing this song it puts pretty much everywhere else to shame. Count me in the crowd that would like to have something develop organically, as someone put it above, rather than copy something someone else does.

We were taiking about this last weekend with some friends who also have season tickets. The "John Adams" score came up and we thought put some of the great highlights from the past with that intro and then go into the Rouser when the team takes the field

The first time I heard the 'John Adams' theme, I thought the song was stadium ready. I am surprised nobody has used it yet.

As a youngin' , I am all in favor of getting my drunk peers up and dancing, especially the girls when it's hot. This would be nice for a night game too.

They should play fanfare for the common man into the rouser as the team enters like they used to way back in the day.

The Hartford Whalers aren't using Brass Bonanza any more. I think we should definitely steal it. One of my all-time favorites.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/My0HQ0QkGLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song was unstoppable when I was matriculating at the U.

It also gets your blood flowing.

I'd love for the whole crowd to stand up after a scene from gladiator. Put their thumbs down and start chanting "Kill, Kill, Kill" in unison as their arms bob up and down.

if we want the gophers to have the most bad@ss song in all of college football, play this:

Top Bottom