Surprise! U of M botches Thursday night opening game logistics

Hopefully, the "U" gets this figured out before the expansion to 80K.

Why do you post here? You do realize that you're an enormous tool and that no one thinks you're funny or clever, right?

This thread is so sad it's funny. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at 1. Yourself, and 2. the State Fair Board.

Be pissed at yourself for not being smart enough to see that the River Flats have a way higher value proposition and it's cheaper per game than any of the surface lots the U makes you play $140+ for (including St. Paul).

Be pissed at the State Fair Board because for the last 5 years the U has been trying to handle this they haven't even returned conversation. They like having the U over a barrel. I would too if I were in their shoes.

There was no way the U wasn't going to "screw this up" based on your standards.

FWIW, I will be starting my tailgate at noon on the flats, stumbling to the Stadium right before kickoff, and enjoying the beatdown our Gophers are putting on the Rebs.

Can anyone answer my question as to why would they even attempt to schedule a home Thursday game during the State Fair without taking care of the parking and tailgate situation BEFORE? I hate Thursday games. They are worthless. It does nothing for our team. Attendance will be down and our TV exposure is zero. Take last years game at UNLV....it came on at 10pm? Really?

I'm pretty disappointed with how the U has been dealing with Tailgating and how they are treating their typical season ticket holder. I'm not going to sit here and say that everyone should be out tailgating the night before the game, but I think the U should be pushing for any sort of game day possibility vs. their typical approach which is do nothing. AGGIE is right on in the fact that they should be pushing tailgating to areas on campus like the Mall and the Knoll where you drop off your tailgating gear and park elsewhere. Especially with the lack of surface parking on campus.

If the excuse is that they don't want these areas 'trampled' they haven't been there lately because the grass in the Mall area of campus is always trampled during the school year.

Be pissed at yourself for not being smart enough to see that the River Flats have a way higher value proposition and it's cheaper per game than any of the surface lots the U makes you play $140+ for (including St. Paul).

If we're talking value proposition, the best way to watch the game would be to go to Walmart and drag a chair over to the television displays and watch the game there for absolutely free (other than your gas to Walmart).

If people are willing to invest more into an option they deem superior due to location, atmosphere, or any other number of factors, why does that make them not smart?

If only you guys cared halfway as much about the actual game as you do about tailgating......Only 4 hours to tailgate, oh the injustice!! Get a clue, the "U" is not going to cater to a group that only makes up a fraction of the fan base.

...the River Flats have a way higher value proposition...

What does this mean? Asking seriously, not snarkily. I love the atmosphere throughout the SKI U MAH lot which is [much] close[r] to stadium, visited by band, has alumni players tailgating, constant party corner in SW for those who like it, and of course my own spaces for more experienced fans. I suppose the river counts for a good visual... what else? Legitimately curious...

The State Fair board is pretty much a dictatorship unto themselves, and they have a lot of power. There is absolutely no reason they would ever, or would ever want to, give an inch to the U regarding a football game. This was a bad idea on the part of the U, and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

If only you guys cared halfway as much about the actual game as you do about tailgating......Only 4 hours to tailgate, oh the injustice!! Get a clue, the "U" is not going to cater to a group that only makes up a fraction of the fan base.

Yes, a fraction of the fanbase that pays the $$$$ for premium seating, tailgate spots, etc. There is a small percentage of people who are the die hards, and they are the ones that fork over the cash. The majority of people do go straight to the game...is that really the people you should focus on keeping happy, or the ones that spend the money? When you haven't been successful for years and years, there is a small group that sticks around and supports your program, these die hards. You also want to know why many of us do it, because of the camaraderie, the friendships, the football talk we have in tailgate lots. That makes losing a lot more bearable when you are enjoying the entire experience.

And I'm pretty sure everyone on this board cares A LOT about the games. We wouldn't follow every recruit, every tweet, every article, and every word from the program if we didn't.

So then let's just alienate them, right?
This fraction is exactly what is missing from the fanbase: passionate, semi obsessed, but extremely loyal young fans who will be fans through crap seasons like the 2 before last. Tailgating is what sustained a lot of people through 2010 and 2011, regardless if we got smoked, it was a way to meet up with friends, have a few, and have some fun on a weekend.
But we know the u will cater to the slug rich folks who don't show up in those lots until 10 min to kickoff, can't even find it in themselves to clap along with the rouser, then leave at halftime complaining the whole way home and the whole next week.

I have been out of town but good god, yes it sucks the game is at six on a Thursday during other events but I'd take that over having to wait till that Saturday to watch our squad destroy UNLV during an 11:00 a.m. game.

I'm not sure why you're surprised the U screwed something up to begin with, but quit with the constant whining and B$tching and get amped for the season to start. Pretty hard to not enjoy a nice night game at The Bank to ring in the new season no matter the circumstances...

All of you need to feed the positive dog!

Just getting involved. I wasn't planning on tailgating that day as I'll be coming from work & probably just do some bars before hand. I guess my issue is not being up front about it. It's one thing if they said from the start "probably going to have issues with a full amount of tailgate time & the state fairgrounds lot will be out & alternative parking for that game will be given," but it seems like they kind of snuck it in the fan guide. People don't like surprises.

We'll all get over it, and yes, this wouldn't happen at Alabama, Ohio State, etc., but just being a little proactive with communication would probably have calmed about 85% of the outrage.

So then let's just alienate them, right?
This fraction is exactly what is missing from the fanbase: passionate, semi obsessed, but extremely loyal young fans who will be fans through crap seasons like the 2 before last. Tailgating is what sustained a lot of people through 2010 and 2011, regardless if we got smoked, it was a way to meet up with friends, have a few, and have some fun on a weekend.
But we know the u will cater to the slug rich folks who don't show up in those lots until 10 min to kickoff, can't even find it in themselves to clap along with the rouser, then leave at halftime complaining the whole way home and the whole next week.

Not this stereotypical bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# again. Young, middle-age, or old: fans of all ages run the gamut on loyalty and enthusiasm. Frankly, anyone who has stuck with this program whether over the last several years or since the late 60's deserves to be commended, not attacked by a different age group.

You are out to lunch....Dont tell me the students who tailgate are the ones who stick with the program through tough times. Have you seen the student section lately? Like i said they are more worried about drinking than the actual product on the field.

Yes, a fraction of the fanbase that pays the $$$$ for premium seating, tailgate spots, etc. There is a small percentage of people who are the die hards, and they are the ones that fork over the cash. The majority of people do go straight to the game...is that really the people you should focus on keeping happy, or the ones that spend the money? When you haven't been successful for years and years, there is a small group that sticks around and supports your program, these die hards. You also want to know why many of us do it, because of the camaraderie, the friendships, the football talk we have in tailgate lots. That makes losing a lot more bearable when you are enjoying the entire experience.

And I'm pretty sure everyone on this board cares A LOT about the games. We wouldn't follow every recruit, every tweet, every article, and every word from the program if we didn't.

This is a great way to phrase it. I was actually really surprised by the comments...I feel like most people did not get the blog at all. It's not about drinking, it's about camaraderie, bonding, the game day experience that is SO important in football, especially for a team that hasn't been good in so long.

Yup. I don't drink, yet I manage to make it to many tailgates. I know tailgating has a stigma of drunkards.. but I know I can act a fool just fine without the aid of any alcohol. =D

MAYBE, they should have got in front of it first and given reasons for it instead of trying to quietly slip it into the media guide with out any explanation whatsoever. I think that is why most people are pretty upset about it. If you are up front and give legitimate reasons for why it isn't happening and what was actually tried to rectify the situation, most people are pretty understanding. Just a thought.

Good point. And I agree.

I've just gotten to the point of being sick of the handwringing here. I understand and agree that this situation sucks (trust me, I'm one that has to find anther parking lot as I have a pass in the St. Paul lot, I understand the situation). I'm not really asking people to be quiet about it. I'm just asking people to deal with it and get over it.

I have been out of town but good god, yes it sucks the game is at six on a Thursday during other events but I'd take that over having to wait till that Saturday to watch our squad destroy UNLV during an 11:00 a.m. game.

All of you need to feed the positive dog!

I am a little surprise that most of the people seem to have forgotten why it was decided to have the first game a Thursday night game. Driving this decision was (1.) the desire for a night game and (2.) not interfere with the Labor Day Weekend. I believe Kill talked about making this and annual event. Unfortunately, this potential annual event has gotten off on the wrong foot but I believe there is merit in this idea if we can solve some of the problems that have risen.

It interesting to note that there was originally a small but vocal minority who did not like the idea of a Thursday night because of having to drive to the cities on a weekday or they were working that night. I also recall that there were those who were definitely opposed to Friday night games because that is the day when most of the high school games are played.

I hope we can find a way to solve these issues because I personally enjoy night games. If we can't do that we should a least schedule one night non-conference game each year.

I am a little surprise that most of the people seem to have forgotten why it was decided to have the first game a Thursday night game. Driving this decision was (1.) the desire for a night game and (2.) not interfere with the Labor Day Weekend. I believe Kill talked about making this and annual event. Unfortunately, this potential annual event has gotten off on the wrong foot but I believe there is merit in this idea if we can solve some of the problems that have risen.

It interesting to note that there was originally a small but vocal minority who did not like the idea of a Thursday night because of having to drive to the cities on a weekday or they were working that night. I also recall that there were those who were definitely opposed to Friday night games because that is the day when most of the high school games are played.

I hope we can find a way to solve these issues because I personally enjoy night games. If we can't do that we should a least schedule one night non-conference game each year.

I'm glad someone brought that back up.

Not this stereotypical bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# again. Young, middle-age, or old: fans of all ages run the gamut on loyalty and enthusiasm. Frankly, anyone who has stuck with this program whether over the last several years or since the late 60's deserves to be commended, not attacked by a different age group.

That's not what I meant. Older fans can and do fit this "fraction". I was just trying to describe a portion of the fanbase with very little emotional investment in the program.
What the fanbase needs, more than tickets sold, or butts in the seats are more of the type that typify the all day tailgaters. Those who show up early fired up, get more people around them fired up, get in the stadium even more fired up, yell and scream for the duration of the game, then celebrate or sooth in the parking lot for a few hours afterwards. We need more vocal passion, and I haven't seen the u cater to that.

You are out to lunch....Dont tell me the students who tailgate are the ones who stick with the program through tough times. Have you seen the student section lately? Like i said they are more worried about drinking than the actual product on the field.

Her argument was about the people who spend the most money, and that lead you to believe she was talking about students?

Interesting.

That's not what I meant. Older fans can and do fit this "fraction". I was just trying to describe a portion of the fanbase with very little emotional investment in the program.
What the fanbase needs, more than tickets sold, or butts in the seats are more of the type that typify the all day tailgaters. Those who show up early fired up, get more people around them fired up, get in the stadium even more fired up, yell and scream for the duration of the game, then celebrate or sooth in the parking lot for a few hours afterwards. We need more vocal passion, and I haven't seen the u cater to that.

Are you sure you're wording that the way you want to?

So Gopherholers, it has come to this. Question, what did the Eagle from the Muppets used to say? Was it “you are all geniuses?” No that wasn’t it. I believe it rhymed with a eardos. Ok, that was harsh and not really called for but sometimes I feel like screaming at you guys (and hey, I like you for the most part)! Ever since I first read this thread I have been itching to respond, but I held back (I counted to ten and then let my breath out… s l o w l y . Breath in, breath out, breath in, commence long-winded rant.

To quote Bart Simpson, “don’t have a cow man!” I know most of you have passion, and that can be a good thing, but calm down and carry on. I’ll be honest, I didn’t read every response; I just couldn’t make myself do that. Further, some of you, like Norman Dale made some good points, while TexasAggie11 (and others) offered some solutions, but most of you are just freaking out over nothing (yes, I understand some of you feel the Gophers took your money and failed to live up to what they promised, valid point). Some just have info or suggestions that were wrong (example the light rail that is still being built, but next year that will be correct).

Some Points (and please do correct me if I’m wrong).

The game will be played. We will have a good time. We will actually be watching live football again!

This is the first time we have opened the season at TCF (vs. the road). Kill wanted this because he thinks it is a disadvantage to start the season on the road (I’m actually fine with starting on the road because students aren’t all on campus yet while the freshmen are just finding their way around) but guess what, the State Fair will be with us for a long time.

It is a night game on a day when we won’t have much competition from other games (but honestly, I don’t know how many non-Gopher, non-Rebels fans will turn it on) so it has a chance for national exposure (and hey, at least one guy and his son from England). Oh yeah, night games are fun.

There are seven more games at home.

They can learn from their mistakes (and may have already to some degree).

They are not going to kick students or staff out of the parking lots, that would send the wrong message (I’m sorry, it really would), in fact, I’ll write a letter of complaint if they do! However, giving the staff a day or half day off as RailBarronYarr pointed out is fine, good even (hell, give them tickets!).

Be mindful of what impact negative ranting can have on potential recruits or fans (not saying you don’t point out the negative or try to fix it, writing a letter to the department is a good idea).

Remember what the “Wild Stallions” (Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure) said (in the future, which I think is now the past); “be good to each other.” You guys curse way too much (like I did after Basic). (note, I put the B&TEA reference in because KillJoy said I like bad movies)

Lastly, yes some of what I wrote was a joke, but seriously, try viewing things with a little perspective.

(All hate mail can be sent to [email protected]. Don’t be a hater.)

images

*Wyld Stallyns... *"be excellent to each other" ... Just being nit-picky :cool: But maybe that's cause I watched the movie like 3 days ago lol

I park in a nice ramp on Oak St. Not too worried about this whole tailgating issue.

*Wyld Stallyns... *"be excellent to each other" ... Just being nit-picky :cool: But maybe that's cause I watched the movie like 3 days ago lol

I knew what I wrote was wrong, should have googled it. It's been something like 15 years for me since I saw that (I actually saw it in when it was in the theater the first time) film, but every once in a while I want to watch it again.

I dont need her to lead me to believe Dawg. I think its pretty safe to say that most are students, because the fans that just "show up and go" have more bigger things to worry about than getting 3 more hours of tailgating. Interesting, must be rough having that simple of a life.

Her argument was about the people who spend the most money, and that lead you to believe she was talking about students?

Interesting.

Interesting.

There is clearly a lack of reading skills from GoldenUMNGopher...the last time I checked, it was not students who were tailgating, and shelling out $1000-2500 for a parking spot, plus premium seating, donations, etc.

I do see your point, but what this fanbase needs more than anything is a consistently winning team. When that happens, then the atmosphere some people thirst for will start to develop. Be upset with the way this has been handled, but most normal people aren't going to act like you want for a program producing these results. You can't just order up "emotional investment", be it in a 20 year old college kid who has found something more appealing to do or in a 60 year-type who has watched a lot of crappy teams over the years but still at least shows up. The fanatical fanbase comes after the winning; it really doesn't create it. No way most of the jackasses from Wisconsin, Iowa, or NDSU show up here if their teams haven't been winning big for a while. I will give you that type of culture can sustain a program once it's in place, but you've got to win first to get it. So what's the point in singling groups out and sniping at them, which is what this thread has degenerated into for some people?

(note, I put the B&TEA reference in because KillJoy said I like bad movies)

I understand that your post was about getting too worked up over the small things, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. With that said, I will go ballistic on anyone who claims that Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a bad movie.

I dont need her to lead me to believe Dawg. I think its pretty safe to say that most are students, because the fans that just "show up and go" have more bigger things to worry about than getting 3 more hours of tailgating. Interesting, must be rough having that simple of a life.

What are you trying to say? Our entire tailgate group of about 30 all have good, full time jobs. So no, we do not live "that simple of a life". But we all did take PTO for this day so that we could spend that time with our group of freinds.

Also, none of these parking lots will be nearly filled with employees on this day. So why can't the tailgaters go in and set up and share the lot with the employees. There are a lot of people who just park for the game that show up a half hour prior. They would take the spots vacated by the employees leaving work.

What are you trying to say? Our entire tailgate group of about 30 all have good, full time jobs. So no, we do not live "that simple of a life". But we all did take PTO for this day so that we could spend that time with our group of freinds.

Also, none of these parking lots will be nearly filled with employees on this day. So why can't the tailgaters go in and set up and share the lot with the employees. There are a lot of people who just park for the game that show up a half hour prior. They would take the spots vacated by the employees leaving work.

I am also taking PTO to spend more time gearing up for this game. Rather than cancel the time off, my buddies and I are trying to decided what we should do to get ready for the game since we won't be able to hang out in the expensive parking spots we bought. Apparently, GoldenUMNGopher has never taken a vacation day in his life because his life is too complicated. If ever using an earned vacation day is leading the simple life, then I am guilty as charged.

I understand that your post was about getting too worked up over the small things, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. With that said, I will go ballistic on anyone who claims that Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a bad movie.

A most egregious mistake, for sure.

Top Bottom