Support for our new coach

wdgold

Reaction score
Obviously who ever ends up being the next coach will be starting a new chapter in his career. Like most on this forum I have my candidates that I would like to see come here and ones that just will not excite me, especially if it's not a current head coach, but I for one am going to get behind who ever becomes our next coach no matter who it is and give him the benefit of the doubt. I love Gopher BB and I am looking forward to next season.

Go Gophers!

Just like any other hire, he will get the benefit of the doubt. And after 2 consecutive sub .500 Big Ten seasons, the whining will resume.

I'm hoping for a Buzz Williams coach. Not Buzz himself (because he won't leave Marquette for here), but a hire where you scratch your head and say "really?"...then 5 years later you are thanking your lucky stars you got the guy.

Maybe Villa 7 can work for us, even if its not someone we, the fans, think we want.

I trust Teague and Ellis, they have a track record of finding the right coach.

So very true. The situation the U has put themselves in is a scarry one. When Clem was fired the Gophers and their fans had to be happy with just about anyone who would take the job because of the sanctions. When Monson had to be replaced the fans had a long time to wonder because of Monson being removed in the middle of the year but the search didnt last long as Tubby was a quick hire almost in the middle of the night if I recall. This has been a wild week just reading this forum has been crazy. The Gophers really need to hire a guy that will not only excite the fans but the recruits of the state as well. There is no doubt we will get a coach with the chance to succeed at this University. The problem I have is that some names no matter how solid a coach they are and could be at Minnesota wont get much of a chance.

The right coach may walk in sign 2 of the 3 Big 3 and get the fan on his side right off the bat. Then again what if he can't get any of the 3 will we be in bigger trouble down the road? I think no matter who the coach is they need to get the most support we can give as fans. If he doesn't get the support this program could be in trouble. Its an exciting time for the Gophers but its like watching a bad TV show with somone sliding towards the cliff. The right hire probably means the car skids to a stop just in time for a get away. A so-so hire means the cars ends up in an explosion at the bottom of the cliff.

What was the reaction on this board when Kill was announced as head football coach?

What was the reaction on this board when Kill was announced as head football coach?

Underwhelmed, followed by talking ourselves into it (by researching what he was all about), followed by mostly unabashed homerism.

The big difference between the football and basketball situations is the big three. They can put the program on the map and need to be convinced the next coach is the real deal or they are off to the marque schools. They will not take the chance on a "could be" coach.

The bar has been set. 21 wins including a NCAA tournament win. Anything less will result in the usual suspects blaming Tubby for years, the same way they blamed Mason.

Obviously who ever ends up being the next coach will be starting a new chapter in his career. Like most on this forum I have my candidates that I would like to see come here and ones that just will not excite me, especially if it's not a current head coach, but I for one am going to get behind who ever becomes our next coach no matter who it is and give him the benefit of the doubt. I love Gopher BB and I am looking forward to next season.

Go Gophers!

Everyone feels this way. I can't stand the idea of Grant coming here or any other reach play. If he gets hired I'm disappointed but I'm behind him. In his case his reputation is as a recruiter. His honeymoon will last until the Fall signing period. If he signs a great class then we know we got what we paid for. If we get a ho hum class the rumbling will start. His reputation is not that of a "coach em up" guy.

Obviously who ever ends up being the next coach will be starting a new chapter in his career. Like most on this forum I have my candidates that I would like to see come here and ones that just will not excite me. ..., but I for one am going to get behind who ever becomes our next coach no matter who it is and give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's my approach, too. Looking forward to hearing who the new coach is, and then supporting him (and Teague) from that point on. Whether it's Flipper, Buzzer, Hot Wife Guy, Miles (my preference, but not gonna' happen), Fife, Lil' Wojo (yes, I'd even support Wojo), Grant, Marshall, Bennett, one of Matta's assistants, or some guy I've never heard of, a new chapter always brings a certain level of excitement/apprehension/uncertainty.

I desire a long-term fix, not short-term, and it's not like the new guy is coming into a dreadful situation. If he (Flip included) gets any of the Big 3 I'll consider it a pleasant bonus. Not holding my breath there.

Pretty pathetic and inexcusable if the new Guy strikes out on All three top In State prospects. Tubby took over a 3-13 big ten team 9-22 overall and still recruited a consensus top 25 class. The new guy who is SUPPOSED to be a solid Upgrade!!! should be expected to Perform Better!! takes over a team that won over 20 games as well as a NCAA Tourney Win.

Top Bottom