Super Regional atmospheres offer a glimpse of what CFP should become

I agree in a way but disagree in another way.

What makes college football great is the regular season.

How can you make the championship better without ruining what makes it better?
Put more emphasis on the regular season importance.

How do you do that?
Create an environment where conference finish determines bids.

I want ZERO at large bids. It should function like the champions league in European soccer. Leagues are assigned “bids” based on 5 year rolling metrics. Bids are assigned by conference place of finish.

16 team playoff.
Every conference gets a bid.
6 spots left.
SEC might be a 4 bid league.
Big Ten 3
ACC 2
Everyone else one (post Oklahoma and Texas moving)

These bids per league can change based on regular season non conference games (weighted 1)
Bowl games (weighted 1)
Playoff games (weighted 2)

No stupid committee. Where do you finish in the standings.

I'm fine agreeing to disagree.

What on-campus post-season games in major college football are you able to point to as evidence to back this up?
No evidence with postseason games but regular season games that are played at neutral sites are just missing that atmosphere that makes CFB special in my view. I imagine postseason games on campus would be that much more electric.

No evidence with postseason games but regular season games that are played at neutral sites are just missing that atmosphere that makes CFB special in my view. I imagine postseason games on campus would be that much more electric.
I see your point now, in the sense of the regular season.

I have personally not been to one of those "season kickoff" games that are played at NFL stadiums and I believe go for a 50-50 mix of fans. I think there's usually games in Dallas and Atlanta NFL stadiums every year?

The Red River Rivalry game at the Texas State Fair every year between OU and Texas is probably a massive exception. But I think we can both agree that is a special tradition and thing.

That said, Conf Champ games, major Bowl games, and the CFP natty I don't think have had poor atmospheres due to being neutral sites.

I see your point now, in the sense of the regular season.

I have personally not been to one of those "season kickoff" games that are played at NFL stadiums and I believe go for a 50-50 mix of fans. I think there's usually games in Dallas and Atlanta NFL stadiums every year?

The Red River Rivalry game at the Texas State Fair every year between OU and Texas is probably a massive exception. But I think we can both agree that is a special tradition and thing.

That said, Conf Champ games, major Bowl games, and the CFP natty I don't think have had poor atmospheres due to being neutral sites.
Tell that to the ACC and PAC 12 title games

Do you think the atmosphere would've been better being hosted at the home site of the highest ranked division winner (not sure how else it would go ... back-and-forth yearly between divisions?)?

If it happened to be at Oregon or Clemson, then probably yes on an absolute sense, because it would just be another home game for those two. Wouldn't really be "fair" for the other team.

I went to the PAC 12 game this past December in Vegas. Just happened to be there any way. Great atmosphere, until Utah blew out Oregon. Game drew 57,500 in a the new dome that holds 62,000.

Felt like a Utes home game, though I would say at least 12,000 Ducks fans were also there (until the end of the 3rd Q).

I wonder if home playoff games would add a little intrigue back to the regular season too. For example, if there's an 8 or 12 team playoff, an 11-0 Clemson team doesn't really need to win that last game to make the playoff, but if a loss would cost them a home game, they have a lot more to play for. Just throwing crap at the wall.

Do you think the atmosphere would've been better being hosted at the home site of the highest ranked division winner (not sure how else it would go ... back-and-forth yearly between divisions?)?

If it happened to be at Oregon or Clemson, then probably yes on an absolute sense, because it would just be another home game for those two. Wouldn't really be "fair" for the other team.
I would agree with your second paragraph completely.

Whereas at the field in San Francisco it is just flat empty regardless of who participates. Which is why originally the pac 12 title game was at a home stadium (and then moved)

Rather hard to im
I wonder if home playoff games would add a little intrigue back to the regular season too. For example, if there's an 8 or 12 team playoff, an 11-0 Clemson team doesn't really need to win that last game to make the playoff, but if a loss would cost them a home game, they have a lot more to play for. Just throwing crap at the wall.
Rather hard to imagine Dabo letting his 11-0 Tigers lay down because they didn't need the last game to make playoffs.

Rather hard to im

Rather hard to imagine Dabo letting his 11-0 Tigers lay down because they didn't need the last game to make playoffs.
Yeah you're right, I don't think players need the motivation, but as a fan I guess it adds a certain level of intrigue. Maybe I'm grasping at straws a bit.

I mean, Georgia did it last year, to get Alabama in. :rolleyes:

If Georgia had taken care of Bama in the SEC CCG like they did in the Natty, then Notre Dame is in at 11-1 as either #3 or #4 with Cincy (not sure who the committee picks to be honest).

I agree in a way but disagree in another way.

What makes college football great is the regular season.

How can you make the championship better without ruining what makes it better?
Put more emphasis on the regular season importance.

How do you do that?
Create an environment where conference finish determines bids.

I want ZERO at large bids. It should function like the champions league in European soccer. Leagues are assigned “bids” based on 5 year rolling metrics. Bids are assigned by conference place of finish.

16 team playoff.
Every conference gets a bid.
6 spots left.
SEC might be a 4 bid league.
Big Ten 3
ACC 2
Everyone else one (post Oklahoma and Texas moving)

These bids per league can change based on regular season non conference games (weighted 1)
Bowl games (weighted 1)
Playoff games (weighted 2)

No stupid committee. Where do you finish in the standings.
Wow that's an interesting idea I've never thought about. Perhaps they could even set the bids for year 1 based on the past 3 years of data...and then go from there like you said. Cool idea.

Top Bottom