Sunday Sports Show--what was being alluded to?

Agree 100%. Too many people assume he only got the job because of his name and ignore his carrier path.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see a few comments that support the notion that maybe, just maybe Pitino had a resume worthy of taking a look at as a young coach ready to take the next step to a bigger job. The jury is still out on whether he will ultimately be a success here. However, the notion that he was hired only because of his name is so condescending to him and suggests we as ticker buyers are a bunch of dumb sheep that will flock to the barn just because we hired "some guy named Pitino". It also completely ignores the fact the previous coach was certainly not an unknown on the national scene. I can see this logic at a school like FIU but we hire guys based on last name only at a big ten school? I hope we are better than that.

I am admittedly a strong supporter of giving Pitino this year. So I am a little biased.

But if they do attempt to fire him this year, with or without cause, I will then also be requesting a refund on my season tickets and accompanying donation. To make changes like this without a new scandal or anything AFTER the renewal date would be a pathetic slap in the face to people who have already renewed. Especially while the wrestling coach who turned a blind eye to a felony drug ring (allegedly) with the knowledge of the admin continues to collect paychecks. They can write me a check back for my tickets right along with the $7m check they'll be writing Richard Pitino. (Or they can accidentally switch the checks too of course :))

I'm with you on this. Totally.

.....and somewhere in there Max and one of the others(I believe it was LaValle) both said they had info they could not share. I thougt that's what the thread title was referring to.

FWIW I don't miss Dark Starr on that show. Biggest bag of wind ever.

Dark Starr was the only one I could stomach.

Fat Pat is worthless.
Sid is Sid, he's just much harder to understand.
Max might be the most annoying human being on TV.
LaValle is a weirdo. He used to text my GF when he'd get drunk. She used to work at Alary's a couple of years ago and LaValle does something there and he'd get drunk and text strange things to my GF (she was 21 at the time). He's a creeper.

There seems to be something in the water at bemidji that allows one to accurately forecast the results of the BIG BB results six months before they start to play.
So now the conspiracy against Gopher sports has spread to the BB HC and now involves not only the print media but radio and TV.

There seems to be something in the water at bemidji that allows one to accurately forecast the results of the BIG BB results six months before they start to play.
So now the conspiracy against Gopher sports has spread to the BB HC and now involves not only the print media but radio and TV.

I thought this was a message board where Gopher fans can discuss things related to the Gophers, Big Ten, and college basketball? According to you we're not allowed to predict the amount of wins teams will have or talk about what the media is saying/implying.

The headwaters of the Mississippi.

But I get it, NO MORE PREDICTIONS!

We shouldn't make predictions about next season for olddoc.

There are posters that hate when we speculate on who will start, position changes, we get the lovely response "well, the coaches will play who they think deserves to play, it won't be decided by people on gopherhole".

So what should we talk about in the offseason? Uniforms?

I think it's easily forgotten what an incredible job he did in that one year at FIU.

From Wikipedia:

A Malik Smith three pointer a way from the dance, had that happened Pitino would've had options by the time Teague called him. His coaching job that year and his first year here, along with the improvements of his recruiting classes are why I am not ready to pull the plug. If it's a next year I'll understand, but my fear is will improve, but give up on it a year early and then 7-10 years later will be watching Pitino in the final four somewhere else while were still stuck in the mud.

he'd get drunk and text strange things to my GF (she was 21 at the time). He's a creeper.

What's the problem here?

Ony thing I find odd is you have a ~23 year old girlfriend... Your posts/stories make you sound 40+.

The headwaters of the Mississippi.

But I get it, NO MORE PREDICTIONS!

We shouldn't make predictions about next season for olddoc.

There are posters that hate when we speculate on who will start, position changes, we get the lovely response "well, the coaches will play who they think deserves to play, it won't be decided by people on gopherhole".

So what should we talk about in the offseason? Uniforms?

olddoc is right. Predictions in May/June are useless and should be banned!!!!

With Hayes back KenPom has them in the preseson top 10.

That FIU team never beat a good team and finished 5th in a crappy conference. If he succeeds at Minnesota he will not be here 7 years. We all want what we want but what has he done that leads you to believe he is more than mediocre much less a coaching superstar ? His history does not reveal a single hint.

I'm glad to see a few comments that support the notion that maybe, just maybe Pitino had a resume worthy of taking a look at as a young coach ready to take the next step to a bigger job. The jury is still out on whether he will ultimately be a success here. However, the notion that he was hired only because of his name is so condescending to him and suggests we as ticker buyers are a bunch of dumb sheep that will flock to the barn just because we hired "some guy named Pitino". It also completely ignores the fact the previous coach was certainly not an unknown on the national scene. I can see this logic at a school like FIU but we hire guys based on last name only at a big ten school? I hope we are better than that.

Can you recall a Big Ten men's basketball coach hired with a weaker resume? Moreover, one who was hired at such a young age?

Wasn't Musselman around the same age? Hired at 30 coached his first gopher game at 31, he came from the D2 ranks. He was alright

Fair comparison, but Musselman already had a substantial record of accomplishment as a head coach (over 100 wins, 84.5% winning percentage, multiple national tournament appearances and All-Americans), albeit at the equivalent of the Division II level. Given his family background and "pedigree", you could also reasonably assume that he was hired based on his achievements and not because of his last name. In addition, he had a Big Ten championship in year one, quelling any potential fears about his qualifications. Pitino is 4 years in as a head coach and has no NCAA Tournament appearances, let alone conference championships.

Can you recall a Big Ten men's basketball coach hired with a weaker resume? Moreover, one who was hired at such a young age?

They do kinda go hand in hand. The younger you are, the weaker your resume is going to be (generally speaking).

.....and somewhere in there Max and one of the others(I believe it was LaValle) both said they had info they could not share. I thougt that's what the thread title was referring to.

FWIW I don't miss Dark Starr on that show. Biggest bag of wind ever.

LaVelle"s area of "expertise" is the Twins, and the only story he can break there is what's on the pregame buffet table. I doubt he has any inside info on the Gophers.

What's the problem here?

Ony thing I find odd is you have a ~23 year old girlfriend... Your posts/stories make you sound 40+.

Seriously?

I'm 31 and she's 24. LaVelle is what? 50?

Yeah, you're right, a 31 year old dating a 24 year old is MORE wrong than a 50 year old sending creepy texts to a 21 year old that works for him.

Seriously?

I'm 31 and she's 24. LaVelle is what? 50?

Yeah, you're right, a 31 year old dating a 24 year old is MORE wrong than a 50 year old sending creepy texts to a 21 year old that works for him.
Nice work Playa

Actually Sid called Pitino a 'jerk' and Ruesse told Sid that he was mad at him because Pitino would'n't be his radio show .....

A sure sign Sid is losing it. "Jerk" is such a common term...whatever happened to "stiff".:confused:

I don't disagree. There have not been a ton of hires at Big Ten schools with a weaker resume. I'll hedge my comments slightly by saying this is a bad job relative to other big ten schools (at least at that time) with mediocre facilities and virtually no sustained winning culture. But it's not FIU. He likely would not have been hired at Indiana/Michigan/Michigan State/others. The Pitino hire was very similar to the other hires Teague had done before him in terms of previous coaching experience. Teague was looking for the next Shaka Smart. Ultimately Pitino may be a home run or he may be a swing and a miss. My broad point was he wasn't hired solely because his last name is/was Pitino. That's idiotic. I'd like to think the Billy Donovan recommendation, the FIU year one, and his years as an assistant at two very successful programs carried a little more weight.

Fair comparison, but Musselman already had a substantial record of accomplishment as a head coach (over 100 wins, 84.5% winning percentage, multiple national tournament appearances and All-Americans), albeit at the equivalent of the Division II level. Given his family background and "pedigree", you could also reasonably assume that he was hired based on his achievements and not because of his last name. In addition, he had a Big Ten championship in year one, quelling any potential fears about his qualifications. Pitino is 4 years in as a head coach and has no NCAA Tournament appearances, let alone conference championships.

Question: Have you heard of a coach being hired with a lesser resume or at a younger age.

Answer: Here is a decent example, not perfect, but decent

Rebuttal: Yeah but he succeeded, lets shift the goalposts a bit.

Ok.

You're not wrong, I just find your response to be a bit counter DP.

Clearly, there are no exact comparisons, but the closest would have to be Matt Painter at Purdue.

He got the "job-in-waiting" at PU at 33 years old after never serving as even an assistant coach in a High Major league. He was at a highly successful mid-major and had one season of head coaching experience with a record of 25-5. One year at Purdue as coach-in-waiting and he was head coach. Richard Pitino also had 1 year of head coaching experience, but more High Major assistant experience, including associate head coach at Louisville. Painter, on the other hand, played in the Big Ten for Purdue.

Another comparison would be Pat Chambers at Penn State. He had almost exactly the same qualifications as Pitino (same # of yrs as an assistant), but was simply older because he waited 10 years to get into coaching. Chambers was the associate head coach at Villanova for just a few years, was a two-year head coach at Boston and got the PSU job.

I know neither is an exact comparison (both Chambers and Painter took a team to the NCAAs in their short HC term prior to B1G job), but I'd say they are all very comparable. It isn't that big of a stretch to think an associate head coach at Louisville who also has assistance experience under Billy Donavan at Florida and had a semi-successful first low major season could get a lower end Big Ten job. There probably should have been another stop in there I think, but it isn't a monster stretch, in my opinion. Even if his name was Richard Jones.

So what if his last name is Pitino....what difference does it make? Judge him on performance not why or how he got the job. What a dumb thing to hold against a person.

Too many people look for an excuse to dislike others.

I don't disagree. There have not been a ton of hires at Big Ten schools with a weaker resume. I'll hedge my comments slightly by saying this is a bad job relative to other big ten schools (at least at that time) with mediocre facilities and virtually no sustained winning culture. But it's not FIU. He likely would not have been hired at Indiana/Michigan/Michigan State/others. The Pitino hire was very similar to the other hires Teague had done before him in terms of previous coaching experience. Teague was looking for the next Shaka Smart. Ultimately Pitino may be a home run or he may be a swing and a miss. My broad point was he wasn't hired solely because his last name is/was Pitino. That's idiotic. I'd like to think the Billy Donovan recommendation, the FIU year one, and his years as an assistant at two very successful programs carried a little more weight.

Fair enough. I mean, anyone who thought we were getting a premier coaching name to come here wasn't paying attention. But even if you look at the most recent hire at the only B1G basketball program that is without question in worse shape than the Gopher program...they got a guy with a solid resume. Not one that blows you out of the water, but Steve Pikiell has 11 years of D1 HC experience, 5 straight years of finishing top 2 in his conference, and a final year that included a 26-7 record and a NCAA tourney berth. Not too shabby. And he is an East Coast guy, but had no previous connection to Rutgers.

That being said, no point in complaining now. We just need to play the hand we have been dealt and hope for the best.

So what if his last name is Pitino....what difference does it make? Judge him on performance not why or how he got the job. What a dumb thing to hold against a person.

Too many people look for an excuse to dislike others.

I think he is being judged on his performance.

Top Bottom