Sunday Night With Coach Claeys - Starts This Sunday

Iceland12

Reaction score
Live on Facebook.

The University of Minnesota football program in conjunction with Gopher Digital Productions announced today that it will produce a weekly online video show with head football coach Tracy Claeys.

The production – Sunday Night Overtime With Coach Claeys – will originate from the Gophers’ locker room at TCF Bank Stadium and will be streamed using Facebook Live on Minnesota’s official facebook.com/GopherFootball page. The show will be presented by the Minnesota Lottery.

The show will be hosted by Gopher sideline reporter and KFAN personality Justin Gaard and will air at 7 p.m. on Sunday nights. The premier episode will debut Sunday, Aug. 21. Fans who miss the live broadcast can always watch replays on the football team’s official Facebook page.

The interactive broadcast is expected to last between 15 and 20 minutes and will feature fan questions from Facebook and Twitter. In addition to some lighthearted moments, the show will also go in-depth into the inner workings of the team, preview upcoming opponents and recap games.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081916aaa.html

Awesome! This should be cool...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Did the FSN show - Gopher Football with (insert Tim Brewster, Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys) get cancelled? Haven't seen it on the guide. I always liked it. Guessing this replaces that show.

If....

Did the FSN show - Gopher Football with (insert Tim Brewster, Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys) get cancelled? Haven't seen it on the guide. I always liked it. Guessing this replaces that show.

there is no television coaches show?... that's a pretty significant step backwards. Marketing, AD, somebody has to make that happen to keep the product out there. Anything you watched on FSN, they promoted the heck out of the coaches show keeping Gopher football on people's radar. Not too mention recruiting and player recognition....... "Minnesota doesn't even have a tv show for football...come to Iowa, football matters here." etc etc
Hopefully there is a tv show too...the team needs hype to sell tickets and recruit and keep players happy.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

there is no television coaches show?... that's a pretty significant step backwards. Marketing, AD, somebody has to make that happen to keep the product out there. Anything you watched on FSN, they promoted the heck out of the coaches show keeping Gopher football on people's radar. Not too mention recruiting and player recognition....... "Minnesota doesn't even have a tv show for football...come to Iowa, football matters here." etc etc
Hopefully there is a tv show too...the team needs hype to sell tickets and recruit and keep players happy.

Coach needs to want it and it is usually stipulated in contract. My guess, this is what Claeys was comfortable with.

Mark Coyle & Marketing Department, we need a Gopher Football TV show.

I think we would like one. I don't know why we need one. The idea that not having one will hurt recruiting is complete looney bird talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool show. Fun that they are answering questions you post during the show.

Man, Coach Claeys does not beat around bush. When asked about the one thing the team needs to do this season to be successful, he said, "We need to improve on offense. We can't be finishing 106th, 110th in offense...we've got to get it up there to 40 or 50." Many coaches would cop out and say something like stay healthy, keep improving every week, etc. Nothing earth-shattering here, as every fan has known this for 4 years, but it's refreshing to hear it said. Claeys has known it (and likely been extremely frustrated by it), and he jumped at the chance to do something about it. He simply didn't think Limegrover and Zebrowski could get it done. I don't buy this "one guy in charge" thing either. He could've easily fired 1 of them and kept the other to run things. He simply didn't think either could handle the job.

Fully agree. Not happy that I needed to create a Facebook account to see it, but really liked the format.

MGGopher; said:
. I don't buy this "one guy in charge" thing either. He could've easily fired 1 of them and kept the other to run things. He simply didn't think either could handle the job.

He wanted a OL coach specifically and an OC with QB experience. I agree that he felt a drastic change was needed. He got his one guy in charge.

Maybe BTN or FSN will air this show during the week. I can see that happening.

I cannot believe that Fox Sports North would not embrace having a half hour of inexpensive local programming every week, so they cannot be the problem.

The Facebook show is a good idea, but should not be done at the expense of real dish/cable TV show that people who chose to buy the right package, can watch on FSN all over the country. Not having a traditional show with the coach can indeed be a disadvantage and because it reeks of being second tier, and can certainly be positioned that way by many that do not need any help when it comes to disparaging the U of M Football Program.

The Big Ten Network used to (or still may) picked up these Big Ten coaches shows and replay them during the week. Having seen some of the other Big Ten shows, the FSN / Gopher product was on a higher plane and had much better production value quality than most the other shows, and that even included the time Mike Max (he was not as insufferable as usual for that half hour) hosted the show. Recently the capable Lea B Olsen did a fine job, and the younger Natalie Kane was very good as well when she used to do the show. I cannot remember who the main host was pre- Mike Max, unfortunately, but regardless that person not named Mike Max is missed.

I'd much rather watch these shows on facebook whenever I want, then have to DVR them and watch them on TV from home. Times they are a changin'

I'd much rather watch these shows on facebook whenever I want, then have to DVR them and watch them on TV from home. Times they are a changin'

You are correct, things are changing, they just have not changed enough yet to warrant there being this big a change in the delivery of the show. I guess if the BTN shows the FB show, and maybe if it is on FSN later in the week, then it is actually an improvement.

Nice show.

I'd love them to do a couple play / film review type scenarios when the season gets going.

Nvm. Didn't pay attention to the youtube link post above.

Thanks for the link Twinsfan

Nice show! Great that it's on Facebook. There still needs to be a tv show. You don't just market to one demographic or use one media outlet.
I'm guessing we all agreed it was silly the head coach wouldn't have a reserved parking spot at the football stadium? You could see how that could effect recruiting with prospects in a car?? I believe the perception of no tv show has a greater impact than that. It Effects the perception across the board to anyone remotely interested in Gopher football. Again, I don't even know that there isn't one...just stating it is basic to college football. We build new facilities now but we take away a media presence to tell people about it? We can't sell tickets but we don't need to publicize our team? Success happens because of lots of little things that add up to doing more than your opponents. We need to outwork people in all areas to gain ground...not just on game day.

Nice show! Great that it's on Facebook. There still needs to be a tv show. You don't just market to one demographic or use one media outlet.
I'm guessing we all agreed it was silly the head coach wouldn't have a reserved parking spot at the football stadium? You could see how that could effect recruiting with prospects in a car?? I believe the perception of no tv show has a greater impact than that. It Effects the perception across the board to anyone remotely interested in Gopher football. Again, I don't even know that there isn't one...just stating it is basic to college football. We build new facilities now but we take away a media presence to tell people about it? We can't sell tickets but we don't need to publicize our team? Success happens because of lots of little things that add up to doing more than your opponents. We need to outwork people in all areas to gain ground...not just on game day.

If they get on TV it will be on some no name channel anyway, so not sure the upside there is all that up.

If he wants us to get into the 40th-50th ranking in scoring offense we will need to score around 30-32 pts per game. Last year we were around 22-23 and in 2014 we peaked at 28.4 (under the Kill regime).

The kickoff philosophy is interesting and I think there are good viewpoints on both sides. Possibly getting that extra possession, helping to build a lead going into the second half seems like it is psychologically important and it creates more opportunity for the defense as the game goes on. Those 4th quarter comebacks are great...but I'd rather see us bury a team early in the 4th quarter, running the ball and setting the hounds loose on defense.

You are correct, things are changing, they just have not changed enough yet to warrant there being this big a change in the delivery of the show. I guess if the BTN shows the FB show, and maybe if it is on FSN later in the week, then it is actually an improvement.

Actually, yes it has. Games will likely not be on "TV" within 5 years. You will have to stream everything. Get on the curve or be thrown off it.

Or the counter argument would be to a recruit in Georgia, Texas, Florida, etc "Minnesota's coaches show is on facebook so my parents, grandparents, high school coach, neighbor, etc" can watch the show from their phone, tablet, computer, smart tv, etc. I think in 2016 this is the way to go and you are going to connect with many more people this way.

I dont buy the argument that this alienates people and only reaches out to one demographic. How many Gopher fans have Facebook? How many have FSN?When you turn on your tv, does it tell the average Gopher fan that there is a new coaches show to watch? Let's get real, Facebook reaches a much larger group than tv ever would. This is a step fortep forward, not backwards.

I dont buy the argument that this alienates people and only reaches out to one demographic. How many Gopher fans have Facebook? How many have FSN?When you turn on your tv, does it tell the average Gopher fan that there is a new coaches show to watch? Let's get real, Facebook reaches a much larger group than tv ever would. This is a step fortep forward, not backwards.

Larger and the group who they need for the future.

There's not much use in appealing the Paul Harvey crowd.

If you were not already a Gopher Football fan given all the choices available on cable TV the likelihood you would have watched a FSN show with a Gopher FB coach was silm to none.
So not having a TV show on now is going to distress some Gopher fans but will not have any affect on the perception of Gopher FB in the public at large.

I often missed the weekly FSN show. I won't miss this. I really like the format, and I much prefer Gaardsy to Max.

Top Bottom