Sun Country Airlines Named Official Airline of Gopher Athletics

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN press release ->

Sun Country Airlines Named Official Airline of Gopher Athletics

The University of Minnesota athletic department today announced that Minnesota-based Sun Country Airlines has been named the Official Airline of Gopher Athletics.

Gopher fans will see additional Sun Country sponsorship and branding at home sporting events on campus and on social media as part of this expanded partnership.

“We are thrilled that Sun Country is now the Official Airline of Gopher Athletics,” said Director of Athletics Mark Coyle. “For years, Sun Country has safely and comfortably flown our teams across the country so they can proudly represent Minnesota in competition. Sun Country also provides a tremendous and affordable option for our fans to travel and watch the Gophers compete. We are thankful for Sun Country’s partnership with Gopher Athletics and look forward to additional opportunities with them.”

“Sun Country Airlines is excited to be ‘on the road’ with Gopher Athletics and expand our longstanding partnership,” said Sun Country Airlines Chief Marketing Officer Brian Davis. “It’s a privilege to fly our University of Minnesota teams around the U.S. to represent Minnesota and connect athletes, their families, and fans with memorable game-day experiences.”

About Gopher Athletics
The University of Minnesota sponsors 22 varsity intercollegiate athletic teams and is represented by more than 625 student-athletes who compete in the Big Ten and the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. Minnesota has claimed 29 national championships in eight different sports and has won 215 regular-season conference titles and 42 conference tournament championships. Minnesota has also produced 198 Academic All-Americans, which ranks as the tenth most all-time among college and universities.

About Sun Country Airlines
Sun Country Airlines is a new breed of hybrid low-cost air carrier, whose mission is to connect guests to their favorite people and places, to create lifelong memories and transformative experiences. Sun Country dynamically deploys shared resources across our synergistic scheduled service, charter, and cargo businesses. Based in Minnesota, we focus on serving leisure and visiting friends and relatives (“VFR”) passengers and charter customers and providing cargo services, with flights throughout the United States and to destinations in Mexico, Central America, Canada, and the Caribbean.

Does this mean athletic events will no longer start on time?
It means that the teams may not make it to the game due to a lack of pilots or flight attendants available at the time.
It means that all personnel with the Gophers can only store a small handbag under their seat or they will have to pay extra for carry on baggage.
It's a good thing the student athletes are now getting NIL money to help cover the costs.

That means the seat pitch of all seats is being cut in half

You get the sponsorships you can.

But my time flying Sun Country ended long ago.

Means they have to pay extra to check or carry on any bags!

You get the sponsorships you can.

But my time flying Sun Country ended long ago.
Yep. Once they became a value airline I refuse to fly them anymore.

This situation was about as bad as it gets.

Generally, even at low cost carriers the pilots want to make it to the destination as well. Related, decades ago in the gestational era of SCA (pre 9/11) we were deplaned from a Vietnam-era 727 twice for maintenance concerns. When we did eventually take off I recall a ceiling panel came off on roll. Borderline comical shoe string operation at the time. I’m sure there were a couple nervous nellies on that flight LOL.

I still fly Sun Country all the time and generally speaking have had good experiences.
That is counter to what I hear from just about everyone I know that has flown Sun Country in the last couple years. But if it works for you, great. Terminal 2 is nice, I will give it that. Have flown Southwest a few times over the years.

I fly my daughter back and forth from Austin and have used Sun Country recently. She had no issues with the service once things are up and running. Their issue with the less traveled destinations is that they are dependent on part time staffing which I'm assuming is from other airlines. I'm guessing they get de-prioritized in times of short staffing, etc. Otherwise, I personally like using the Humphrey terminal if the flight choices are reasonably equal.

I still fly Sun Country all the time and generally speaking have had good experiences.
I have flown Sun Country minimum 75 times never had a problem or delay over 30 minutes.

I have probably flown Delta/Northwest 40 times and had only 1 issue.. way back had a experience where we were left hanging on a cancellation cost us time and money.. but overall good experience..

As I look back on my negative experience which cost me time and money.. it doesn’t rate in my top 10, 25,50,100 or 250 most devastating things in my life… I would rather give Sun Country business than have Well Fargo handle my mortgage loan or buy a stick from 3MMM do they can payoff their lawsuits…

I thought they already were . . . ?
They use to be a sponsor I believe.. a few years back for example football coaches on the sideline had Sun Country on their headsets now it’s Cub I believe.. Sun Country has always flown the Gophers… now I think you will see more on site advertising

Southwest is really outstanding, in my opinion. Free bags (as it should be), easy website, pay each way the same round-trip or one-way, free wifi to watch a bunch of stuff on your device.

Very solid operation ... once they get their 1990's era scheduling software fixed up. Hopefully already well underway.

They give a ton of options to people in PHX, Austin, and I think Vegas and some others.

I honest hope Sun Country can emulate that success via the MSP home base.

I don't mind Spirit either, or Jet Blue (only flown them once to Boston). You just have to know what you're paying for and what you need, and lower your expectations about what it means to fly for 2-3 hours.

I think the comment about thinking they already were has less to do with sponsorships and more to do with every time you see pics of the Gophers social media of flying to an away game, it's always on a Sun Country charter. Feels like it has been that way for a while now?

Probably more to do with just being much cheaper to charter with them for a 737 than Delta, wild guess.

Sun Country’s private charter business is industry leading… they are near or at the top for flying the most miles for the NCAA the last 10 years…they fly the entire MLS every team to every game.. yes including Messi.. I think they flew the Twins wives and families to Houston for the playoffs.. real sports oriented.. UST football also flies them..

I also thought they were already that. Perhaps threw in a few more dollars so they can have the title "OFFICIAL."

RE Sun Country: I preferred Sun Country 10-15-20 years ago. Don't fly them as much now. But I do like Terminal 2. I've had pretty decent luck with the past few times so no complaints. Had some issues going down to Phoenix when going to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, but I think a lot of the airlines were having issues as well that week. Overall, not too many complaints.

I have flown Sun Country minimum 75 times never had a problem or delay over 30 minutes.

I have probably flown Delta/Northwest 40 times and had only 1 issue.. way back had a experience where we were left hanging on a cancellation cost us time and money.. but overall good experience..

As I look back on my negative experience which cost me time and money.. it doesn’t rate in my top 10, 25,50,100 or 250 most devastating things in my life… I would rather give Sun Country business than have Well Fargo handle my mortgage loan or buy a stick from 3MMM do they can payoff their lawsuits…
I generally go by the rule of thumb when flying- you're going to get totally boned over by delays or cancellations maybe 10% of the time. If you expect that going in it's much easier to handle and adjust on the fly.

I fly Sun Country 4-5 times a year, and Delta 6-7 times a year. SC does have a slightly higher rate of delays and cancellations, but in my mind that is offset by cheaper fares and flying out of terminal 2 (usually easier and less stressful).

I actually like Sun Country, at least for the LAS-MSP route. I can't stand Delta, avoid giving them my money at all costs, and for the most part Southwest doesn't fly non-stop from LAS to MSP (there are some, but very few and far between). Sun Country also uses Humphrey Terminal in MSP instead of Lindbergh, and I also avoid Lindbergh at all costs, if at all possible. The Hump Terminal is fantastic.

It sucked when Sun Country ditched their First Class a few years ago, you could often upgrade to that at the last minute for just a few more bucks. Oh well....

I personally don't fly sun country. I flew them once since they have a direct flight between SEATAC and MSP, but they lost our luggage on the return flight and it took a week to resolve. Kinda soured our perception of the airline.

Overall though the experience was good. Was it the best or fanciest flight experience? No, but it was certainly above average compared to other airline experiences I've had.

Top Bottom