Sun Country adds flight to Tampa

$286 round trip! That ain't bad at all

Fly out on New year's day 1/1 and land at noon in Tampa!
Fly back on 1/2/2020

Yall better snatch this up

Land at noon? For a 1pm game? Pretty good chance you'll miss the first half unless they parachute you into the stadium.
*Upon further review, I see RJS is right next to airport! Still cutting it pretty close to gametime.

Last edited:

confirm they do not mean noon central time......

This is a good deal. If you can manage it about the cheapest way to enjoy the bowl game...unless you scalp a seat for $25 about 5 minutes before kickoff...then even cheaper.

The flight takes off at 8 AM, tailgate and party with an entire flight of Gopher fans chanting the rouser for 3 hours, then lands at noon Eastern time. Since the stadium is literately 5 minutes away from the airport, perfect timing!

This is practically a chartered flight. I’d imagine would arrive to Tampa earlier than planned arrival time.

Would be fun on a flight with ALL Gophers fans!

Land at noon? For a 1pm game? Pretty good chance you'll miss the first half unless they parachute you into the stadium.
*Upon further review, I see RJS is right next to airport! Still cutting it pretty close to gametime.
LOL --- If they bumped that up to about 10 AM arrival it would be a little better - agreed - arriving at noon is just cutting it way too close

The flight takes off at 8 AM, tailgate and party with an entire flight of Gopher fans chanting the rouser for 3 hours, then lands at noon Eastern time. Since the stadium is literately 5 minutes away from the airport, perfect timing!

This is practically a chartered flight. I’d imagine would arrive to Tampa earlier than planned arrival time.

Would be fun on a flight with ALL Gophers fans!
I would guess they would have a charter bus to drop you right off at the stadium aswell

So is that noon EST? I guess the airport is really close to the stadium. I wonder if you could check your backpack at the stadium?
Looks like the price is up to $376 now but still not bad

$420 now. So much for Sun Country being super Gopher friendly. Just friendly flying you there under an hour before game.

Actually, these are the flights that were added. Depart MSP on Dec 31 at 5:45 PM and return on Jan 2 at 5:50 PM. The prices were originally listed at $338 round-trip, but have increased now to $558, as the seats are filling up. Still not a horrible price...

suncountry.png

Do people not know about supply and demand? As there are less seats available the price goes up why is everyone so shocked?

Actually, these are the flights that were added. Depart MSP on Dec 31 at 5:45 PM and return on Jan 2 at 5:50 PM. The prices were originally listed at $338 round-trip, but have increased now to $558, as the seats are filling up. Still not a horrible price...

View attachment 6770

Keep in mind Sun Country charges $30 even for a carry-on bag and also for seat selection and that is per each way. So a $558 ticket on Sun Country is really easily over $600 if you bring a carry on and perhaps even more if you want to choose your seat or bring a checked bag.

$600 flight just isn’t worth 24hrs in a city LOL, needs to be half that tops. I’d even do $300 for a same day flight, down and back, but it would have to arrive real early and leave real late.

$600 flight just isn’t worth 24hrs in a city LOL, needs to be half that tops. I’d even do $300 for a same day flight, down and back, but it would have to arrive real early and leave real late.
I guess you just aren't a real fan. /S

Have to catch the flight when it first comes up for the best deal. Algorithms drive the price once the plane starts to fill. Nothing personal just business as usual.

Decent chance they will add another if this plane is full. If interested need to be checking every so often to see if another flight gets added.

We came in at $375RT each on Frontier including baggage fee, taxes, and other miscellaneous fees. The actual fare was around $280 I think. Feel pretty good

You could not pay me $600 to fly Sun Country anywhere. What a garbage airline they have become since they switched ownership a few years back. Cancelling flights leaving people stranded, customer service is trash, pay for everything. Much rather pay double or triple the amount to fly with a better airline.

You could not pay me $600 to fly Sun Country anywhere. What a garbage airline they have become since they switched ownership a few years back. Cancelling flights leaving people stranded, customer service is trash, pay for everything. Much rather pay double or triple the amount to fly with a better airline.

Cheap non-stop flights with bad customer service > X10 over better service/higher cost/stops. I'll put up with SC to save 2 or more hours of travel time.

Cheap non-stop flights with bad customer service > X10 over better service/higher cost/stops. I'll put up with SC to save 2 or more hours of travel time.

I usually can find Delta flights for the same or better once you factor in all the added fees SC charges. But I almost always book well in advance. Also SC flight times usually don't work for me anyway. We used to fly SC all the time but i refuse to do business with them, Spirit, and Frontier. We fly Delta and occasionally Southwest and that's about it now.

I appreciate an airline that can magically find an extra plan to add an extra flight when the economics are in their favor but can’t seem to find any type of resolution for passengers stranded on an island with no way home.

We booked Delta for $450 all in.

I appreciate an airline that can magically find an extra plan to add an extra flight when the economics are in their favor but can’t seem to find any type of resolution for passengers stranded on an island with no way home.

We booked Delta for $450 all in.

You do realize that Sun Country is based out of MSP right? That means anything at MSP is going to be very easy for Sun Country to do but if it's at an island thousands of miles away, not so easy. On the other hand Delta has hubs all over the country along with international partners so they have many more options when things go wrong outside of MSP.

You do realize that Sun Country is based out of MSP right? That means anything at MSP is going to be very easy for Sun Country to do but if it's at an island thousands of miles away, not so easy. On the other hand Delta has hubs all over the country along with international partners so they have many more options when things go wrong outside of MSP.
Huh?
Both scenarios required flights between MSP and another destination. In one case they did and in the other they didn’t. Unless Sun Country also has a hub at TPA your explanation doesn’t hold water.

And Mexico is not an island. Unless they screwed other passengers on some island as well.

Sun Country isn't even owned locally any more. They're owned by a New York-based private equity firm that also owns Chuck E Cheese and Claire's jewelry.

Yes, and both scenarios involved MSP as part of the equation, one just didn’t involve revenue generation.

And fair, not an island, more of a peninsula for the San Jose del Cabo incident.

Private Charter sales at Sun Country Airlines is one of the tops in the industry. SC is flying numerous teams this Bowl season and have been for numerous years.

SC has been at the top for flying NCAA teams for quite awhile. Not all bad at SC!

Private Charter sales at Sun Country Airlines is one of the tops in the industry. SC is flying numerous teams this Bowl season and have been for numerous years.

SC has been at the top for flying NCAA teams for quite awhile. Not all bad at SC!
How long have you worked there?

Reactions: JWG

Sun Country was a charter airline first and then moved into consumer travel on popular destination routes. I'd agree charter flying is their niche and they should capitalize on it as much as possible. They certainly haul the Gopher athletes around frequently. Their consumer service is managed as though it's 2nd fiddle to their charter business and it shows.

Top Bottom