Summer Practice

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Okay, I’m trying to figure out the schedule for summer practice and the NCAA rules seem quite cumbersome on the issue. Here are the rules:

http://www.goexplorers.com/school-bio/forms/2004-2005NCAABYLAW17.11-FOOTBALL.doc

And here are the basics as I interpret them:

• A grand total of 29 on-field practice sessions can occur
  • 5 of these are during the 1st 5-days of practice when there can only be one on-field practice of up to 3 hours per day.
  • During the first 2 days of practice helmets are required but pads are prohibited.
  • After the 1st 5 days there can be multiple-practice days, but not on consecutive days.

So, if a team had the first 5 days of 1-a-days followed by alternating days of 1 and 2-a-days, then they could practice a grand total of 21 days of practice. If it were to do 3-a days on all of its multiple-practice days, then practice could be no longer than 17 days.

I’m not sure exactly what our practice schedule looks like (other than starting on Monday, August 10), but it sounds like it will end no earlier than August 27 nor any later (obviously) than September 4.

If anyone knows more about the rules governing summer practice or our actual practice schedule, could you enlighten me?
Thanks.

Top Bottom