Suggs interview on Kare 11 at 6:30

These recruiting rankings for Gonzaga aren't very accurate because many of the recruiting services until recently didn't do a good job of taking into account international players & Gonzaga has also done an excellent job on the transfer market as well. Right now they are doing much better with getting top domestic talent which likely is an effect of their title game appearance a few years back. They put quite a few guys in the NBA for not getting big time classes...all of these guys In the last 10 years have had some NBA roster time:

Domantas Sabonis, Brandon Clarke, Rui Hachimura, Kelly Olynyk, Zach Collins, Zach Norvell Jr, Nigel Williams-Goss, Kyle Wiltjer, Elias Harris, Robert Sacre

Along with others from their current roster that will have an nba career. Over the last 5-10 years Gonzaga is certainly a top 10 program.

I thought you were talking about Minnesota kids that were right up there with the best in the country? Kids that don't want to go to the U because the U has 0% chance of getting the big time players. That is who I was taking about. Those type of big time players are not concerned about losing their one shot at this at the U. They are already on the NBA radar and just need to continue developing for a year or two in college.

Getting back to your earlier comments about kids like Suggs want to go to a place where they can get "big time" players. Well, Gonzaga is not one of those places. They have been built on getting the international recruits and a few good US players and playing in a very weak conference. Here is the Zags recruiting history from 247, not exactly filling up with "big time" players:

2011 ranked 28
2012 unranked ---
2013 ranked 149
2014 ranked 45
2015 ranked 112
2016 ranked 20
2017 ranked 120
2018 ranked 69
2019 ranked 13 (had seven recruits)
2020 ranked 11 (Suggs made it that high)

Just for reference, here is Minnesota:

2011 ranked 54 - tubby
2012 ranked 75 - tubby
2013 ranked 91
2014 ranked 64
2015 ranked 34
2016 ranked 30
2017 ranked 71
2018 ranked 45
2019 ranked 37
2020 ranked 52 (one spot still open)

Man can we keep this thread on Suggs, his interview, and Gonzaga. Built's relationship is irrelevant. It's annoying that it comes up in every single thread. It's a message board that is open to anyone not just homers and diversity makes it more fun.

That being said I still think there is a good change Suggs never plays at Gonzaga personally.

I think it's very likely Suggs plays for Gonzaga. In my opinion the main reason he wouldn't is if the COVID-19 situation leads us to not having a season (I certainly hope that's not the case). I don't think overseas or G-league are likely to happen

Man can we keep this thread on Suggs, his interview, and Gonzaga. Built's relationship is irrelevant. It's annoying that it comes up in every single thread. It's a message board that is open to anyone not just homers and diversity makes it more fun.

That being said I still think there is a good change Suggs never plays at Gonzaga personally.

I think it's very likely Suggs plays for Gonzaga. In my opinion the main reason he wouldn't is if the COVID-19 situation leads us to not having a season (I certainly hope that's not the case). I don't think overseas or G-league are likely to happen

I honestly don't think it'll factor in. Also it could truly be there are professional leagues going on in other places while the U.S. is shut down or vice versa. I think if he gets an offer he wants, he's gone.

Would never steer a player anywhere. Never put myself in a position of having that kind of influence. These kids are smart, they are on it. I have never made it personal with Coach Pitino. His record is a point of fact and speaks loudly.The defensive rankings are facts. My opinions of his ranking as a coach in the conference are no better than 10th, my opinion. I do not attack posters who somehow have him ranked top 3-4 in the conference or people that think he is better than Gard. That is their opinion. Suggs picked Gonzaga for several reasons. One of those is that it has a far better coach and it is a far larger national brand.
FRAUD. LIAR.

The continued potshots at RP IS most certainly personal. BADGER is an utter fraud.

These recruiting rankings for Gonzaga aren't very accurate because many of the recruiting services until recently didn't do a good job of taking into account international players & Gonzaga has also done an excellent job on the transfer market as well. Right now they are doing much better with getting top domestic talent which likely is an effect of their title game appearance a few years back. They put quite a few guys in the NBA for not getting big time classes...all of these guys In the last 10 years have had some NBA roster time:

Domantas Sabonis, Brandon Clarke, Rui Hachimura, Kelly Olynyk, Zach Collins, Zach Norvell Jr, Nigel Williams-Goss, Kyle Wiltjer, Elias Harris, Robert Sacre

Along with others from their current roster that will have an nba career. Over the last 5-10 years Gonzaga is certainly a top 10 program.
Hmmm. Should have won a bit more with all that NBA talent.

BADGER is a fraud and a liar.

They may have a top 10 -15 program over the last decade and a half. Would they fare as well, in terms of being a top program, if they played in the Big 10?
what does that have to do with anything?

Hmmm. Should have won a bit more with all that NBA talent.

Which team in America has won more than Gonzaga in recent years?

They've reached the Sweet 16 each of the previous six seasons playing in two Elite 8s and reaching the National Championship game.

This notion that Gonzaga doesn't win much in the tournament is a weird one driven by the uninformed

They've reached the Sweet 16 each of the previous six seasons playing in two Elite 8s and reaching the National Championship game.

This notion that Gonzaga doesn't win much in the tournament is a weird one driven by the uninformed
Either win titles or dont.

Old information. People hold on to images and perceptions of things long after their reality is gone. The Zags DID have a long stretch where they under performed their seed in the tournament. As you point out, those days are gone.

3 Elite Eights? In 20 years. He has been knocked out in the second round 8 or 9 times a few of those as a 1,2 or three seed. Soft conference got him those great seeds but they nut up. I think there was a stretch they were knocked out in the 2Nd round 5 or 6 six years in a row. In fact Few had a 13 year stretch where 10 of those years they were out 1st or 2nd round.

Every year is going to be the Zags year to win it. Still waiting..... like the Vikes.

Few is a better coach than Pitino not even debatable. The Zags have nutted along the way as well imo.

3 Elite Eights? In 20 years. He has been knocked out in the second round 8 or 9 times a few of those as a 1,2 or three seed. Soft conference got him those great seeds but they nut up. I think there was a stretch they were knocked out in the 2Nd round 5 or 6 six years in a row. In fact Few had a 13 year stretch where 10 of those years they were out 1st or 2nd round.

Every year is going to be the Zags year to win it. Still waiting..... like the Vikes.

Few is a better coach than Pitino not even debatable. The Zags have nutted along the way as well imo.

Which years did they get upset early in the tournament?

Only one I can recall is the year they lost to the Wichita State team in the second round as a 1 seed when Wichita went to the Final 4.

Otherwise, when they lose, it's not a big shocker. And they advance to the second weekend of the tournament more than any team in the country.

Trying to diminish Gonzaga as an elite program isn't one that can be done with facts or logic. They've elevated their program from one that would beat up on a weak (though even that's faulty logic now) conference before running out of juice in the tournament to a team that has legitimate high-end talent and can be in the conversation (the real conversation) to win a title.

Which programs are considered better? I'd grant the traditional blue bloods (Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke) but otherwise, I don't think there's an argument to be made that they aren't in the second tier of program royalty at this point.

My position is their success would be muted if they played in a more competitive conference.
again, what difference does it make? They've been to title games, put players in the league and have been a consistent top 15 team for years and regularly beat major conference teams in the non con. They're past the point of 'if they played in the big ten....' stuff

again, what difference does it make? They've been to title games, put players in the league and have been a consistent top 15 team for years and regularly beat major conference teams in the non con. They're past the point of 'if they played in the big ten....' stuff
I’m just curious why there’s so much debate around Suggs. Please people MoveOn, just like Suggs did. Why do we need to keep hashing this over and over and over. Go Gophers!

I’m just curious why there’s so much debate around Suggs. Please people MoveOn, just like Suggs did. Why do we need to keep hashing this over and over and over. Go Gophers!
You're in a Suggs thread. The best way for you to move on would be to exit the thread and not come back.

You're in a Suggs thread. The best way for you to move on would be to exit the thread and not come back.
I think it’s just hilarious people spend so much time debating whether it’s right or wrong and where he’s decided to go to college.

We should have hired mark few instead of monson. Just so close to making the correct decision.

All righty then. Very few BB folks would not agree their success would be diminished if they had to play a Big 10 schedule.

I think it’s just hilarious people spend so much time debating whether it’s right or wrong and where he’s decided to go to college.
I think its odd you're continuing to comment in a thread you feel isn't worth your time. Means your time must be worth less than you thought...

All righty then. Very few BB folks would not agree their success would be diminished if they had to play a Big 10 schedule.
so. what. You're trying to make this thread a sort of referendum on Gonzaga. I don't care in the least to have that conversation.

This is virtually incomprehensible.

Once again, I know BB and he's forgotten more about basketball than most of us will ever know.
I will use small words and type slower for you next time. Sorry bout that.

I think its odd you're continuing to comment in a thread you feel isn't worth your time. Means your time must be worth less than you thought...
I think it’s great we all have an opinion, and I’m stating mine. It appears you’re a big Suggs backer and you trying to be his spokesman by defending where he wants to play ball. Go Gophers

I think it’s great we all have an opinion, and I’m stating mine. It appears you’re a big Suggs backer and you trying to be his spokesman by defending where he wants to play ball. Go Gophers
Yup. And he can, at the same time, advocate for other schools for MN players.

Top Bottom