Suggs interview on Kare 11 at 6:30

These recruiting rankings for Gonzaga aren't very accurate because many of the recruiting services until recently didn't do a good job of taking into account international players & Gonzaga has also done an excellent job on the transfer market as well. Right now they are doing much better with getting top domestic talent which likely is an effect of their title game appearance a few years back. They put quite a few guys in the NBA for not getting big time classes...all of these guys In the last 10 years have had some NBA roster time:

Domantas Sabonis, Brandon Clarke, Rui Hachimura, Kelly Olynyk, Zach Collins, Zach Norvell Jr, Nigel Williams-Goss, Kyle Wiltjer, Elias Harris, Robert Sacre

Along with others from their current roster that will have an nba career. Over the last 5-10 years Gonzaga is certainly a top 10 program.
We have had a very lengthy discussion about how overrated is Gonzaga in another thread about a year ago. If you actually look at the details in the games they play every year, it would be virtually impossible for Gonzaga not to make the tournament every year (that explains the high winning percentage). And since they win so many weak games, with one of two P5 games thrown in, they usually have a very high ranking and thus a high seed in the tournament. That high seed gives them an easier path to the sweet sixteen. Thus, the hype is self-fulfilling in that their path to a winning record and the sweet sixteen is easier than the typical P5 school.

The key to their success was in having the best recruiter of European players. Once you are able to pass a few of those players onto the NBA, then the pipeline get stronger. It was an excellent strategy for Gonzaga. It has finally paid off in the last year or two where they are finally attracting good US players (Suggs being the best). I even started a thread admitting that Gonzaga was a finally good team.

But seriously, walk through the Gonzaga schedule going back about 10-15 years and see how few good teams that they played or beat each year. It is much less than a B1G team. Most years they would have finished way down the pack in the B1G. The B1G is a very good basketball conference and the quality of opponents that each teams sees each year is much higher than in many other conferences (there is a reason that the B1G send 7-9 teams to the tournament every year).

this same argument is used to dispel the Big Ten(OSU excluded) in football for the last 40 years

We have had a very lengthy discussion about how overrated is Gonzaga in another thread about a year ago. If you actually look at the details in the games they play every year, it would be virtually impossible for Gonzaga not to make the tournament every year (that explains the high winning percentage). And since they win so many weak games, with one of two P5 games thrown in, they usually have a very high ranking and thus a high seed in the tournament. That high seed gives them an easier path to the sweet sixteen. Thus, the hype is self-fulfilling in that their path to a winning record and the sweet sixteen is easier than the typical P5 school.

The key to their success was in having the best recruiter of European players. Once you are able to pass a few of those players onto the NBA, then the pipeline get stronger. It was an excellent strategy for Gonzaga. It has finally paid off in the last year or two where they are finally attracting good US players (Suggs being the best). I even started a thread admitting that Gonzaga was a finally good team.

But seriously, walk through the Gonzaga schedule going back about 10-15 years and see how few good teams that they played or beat each year. It is much less than a B1G team. Most years they would have finished way down the pack in the B1G. The B1G is a very good basketball conference and the quality of opponents that each teams sees each year is much higher than in many other conferences (there is a reason that the B1G send 7-9 teams to the tournament every year).
Stop with the logic, already.

I think it’s great we all have an opinion, and I’m stating mine. It appears you’re a big Suggs backer and you trying to be his spokesman by defending where he wants to play ball. Go Gophers
lol ok.

So were ripping gonzaga because suggs decided to play there instead of minnesota?

We've ripped a lot of other schools whether our locals go there or not. No differentiation. More lethal venom for those who convince the locals to leave the Shire, though.

We've ripped a lot of other schools whether our locals go there or not. No differentiation. More lethal venom for those who convince the locals to leave the Shire, though.
Haha true! Were equal opportunity when it comes to ripping on other schools. Dont want to leave anyone out!

I enjoy ripping on or seeing others rip on any program not the Gophers. I thought that was the point of fandom? ?

So were ripping gonzaga because suggs decided to play there instead of minnesota?
In a way.... A poster stated that local players like Suggs don’t go to the U because they have 0% shot of bringing in any big time recruits. They want to go to a school that can do that, give them a better shot at getting to the NBA, etc... all the usual stuff. I was just pointing out that for the most point Gonzaga was not that type of school.

One man's discussion is another man's argument. One man's ripping is another man's contrasting opinion. One man's celebrating is another man's taunting. It's all relative, depending on your individual threshold.

One man's discussion is another man's argument. One man's ripping is another man's contrasting opinion. One man's celebrating is another man's taunting. It's all relative, depending on your individual threshold.
It's all good. Rip on gonzaga all you want. We would never want to be like them anyways. Who wants to be a top program in the nation? That would suck!

Hey Jalen----enjoy those battles with San Francisco, Portland, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount and Pacific in front of hundred, if not thousands, of people. I can understand how those epic battles will prepare you for the NBA. SMH

A kid picked a coach and a program that he thinks are both vastly superior to ours. No big deal.

He represents MN basketball because he's a MN basketball player. He's been doing it for years. All the articles and stories about MN high school basketball being comparable to some of the best areas in the country are because of kids like Suggs competing against the best nationally and representing MN ball. You do know that the University isn't the only way to represent the state, right?

Agree. All Minnesota players that are playing high level college ball or in the NBA are representing the good product coming out of the state. If Suggs is in the NBA 1-2 years from now, he'll be representing MN basketball (not the U)... He'll also be representing Gonzaga hoops.

So, calling Gonzaga's annual schedule, especially their conference slate, is ripping? Saying they would not have as good a conference record if they played in the Big 10 is ripping?

Sensitive much?

So, calling Gonzaga's annual schedule, especially their conference slate, is ripping? Saying they would not have as good a conference record if they played in the Big 10 is ripping?

Sensitive much?
Yeah they play in a worse conference. If they were in big ten they wouldnt go 19-1. My point is that why does it matter? Suggs picked gonzaga and not minnesota, so why all of a sudden everyone jumping on Gonzaga. I dont think anyone cares how Gonzaga would do if they were in big ten. I know gonzaga can care less. They play in a bad conference, but doesnt stop them from being a top program. Sensitive? No not really! I can care less about Gonzaga except trying to figure out why all the saltiness with them because a guy picked them over us! Sounds like jealousy to me.

Hey Jalen----enjoy those battles with San Francisco, Portland, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount and Pacific in front of hundred, if not thousands, of people. I can understand how those epic battles will prepare you for the NBA. SMH

Gonzaga's two first round picks last season had pretty good rookie seasons...both averaging around 13/6.

Their first rounder from 2017 is averaging 17 and 6 in three seasons

Their first rounder in 2016 is averaging 12 and 8 in four seasons

Now you do Minnesota.

Gonzaga's two first round picks last season had pretty good rookie seasons...both averaging around 13/6.

Their first rounder from 2017 is averaging 17 and 6 in three seasons

Their first rounder in 2016 is averaging 12 and 8 in four seasons

Now you do Minnesota.
Yeah terrible place to play. You can see how them not being in a good conference has hurt all these guys. Lol

Yeah terrible place to play. You can see how them not being in a good conference has hurt all these guys. Lol
No one had said it is a terrible place to play. Appears any mention of the facts around Gonzaga is touchy for some.

Top Bottom